follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 06-27-2021, 11:20 PM   #29
jrhudson

Drives: 2016 scion frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
That is something I've hoped to do now that I am lifted. Unfortunately the covid restrictions where I live have made it tough. I can say that going from lowered 1" to lifted almost 2" has been an awesome quality of life modification. Avoiding potholes, speed humps and steep driveways is no longer a concern.
Sweet. I'm lowered 1" with my setup. Yea i do a lot of backroad cruising and those roads suck.
jrhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 09:25 PM   #30
Spawn_Of_Creation
Human

Drives: 2015 BRZ Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by DliciousFish View Post
I'm just going to piggy back off this thread. I just had mine installed a couple days ago. Ordered them through NigelJDM. I wanted to go higher so I also ordered a strut and multi-link spacer kit from Anderson Design & Fabrication:

https://andersondesign-fab.com/produ...-link-spacers/

I went with 1-1/2" in the front, 1-7/8" in the rear. We decided to not use camber bolts in the front because we could rotate the strut spacer to get 3 levels of camber. The multi link spacers were very important in the back to correct for camber in the rear. During the install we found the spacers had pushed the rear subframe too close to the exhaust. The shop tweaked the fitment and was able to get a 1/4 inch gap between the two. The exhaust is the Invidia Q300 with 2.5 inch tubing. And now the pics:

Before:

After:

Are these 16x7+35 Sparco Terra?
Old 07-04-2021, 05:01 PM   #31
abec

Drives: 2019 Series Grey, 2016 FRS RIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Turdinator: but i'm slightly curious now how car behaves NOT offroad . How comfortable/not TRD rally suspension is on public roads (if compared to stock, as well known baseline), and .. how it feels, if one were to take such lifted one to track
I can't speak for Turdinator's setup as he has an additional 1 inch lift, which will change body roll dynamics a bit. However, the 10mm lift that these setup gives isn't enough to drastically alter the standard driving characteristics of the car. The spring rates are actually higher than some lowering springs, but that is offset by the added ride height. Which means you wont be hitting your bump stops as often.. Overall the performance is better than stock, Swift lowering springs, and the performance package. The ride quality is better as well, and in my opinion a vast improvement over any lowering springs, standard package, and a slight improvement over the performance package.

The first comment I get from most people who rides in my car is that my BRZ rides way better than the last brz/frs/86 they had been in.

Seeing how I have used both the TRD Rally Spring & Strut combo as well as the TRD Rally Spring with SACHS performance package struts. I can say both are great for daily driving on public roads. Over all ride quality and performance feels better than both standard and performance package suspension.

The TRD rally struts are a better package than stock for all applications. The only characteristic that I felt I wanted to improve was that it didn't instantly settle after a big bump. It road over small stuff like nothing, but a bigger bump that would cause a chassis bounce would result in a small rebound before settling. I suspect this is the tradeoff when you have a strut designed for both tarmac and gravel.

Shortly after getting my BRZ I realized how good the SACHS actually were on the performance package. The car felt so much better than it had ever felt with the standard suspension. I opted to install just the TRD springs on a set of SACHS struts instead of the TRD Rally ones.

I am happy with the results. Overall I think the SACHS are a better match for daily, backroads, autocross, and track. I don't expect them to be as good offroad, but I don't think they would be that bad either.

If you are in an area with a good mix of dirt and tarmac then get the TRD Struts. If you drive mostly tarmac then the SACHS or possibly the Bilstein B6's are the way to go.
abec is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to abec For This Useful Post:
churchx (07-04-2021), jrhudson (07-04-2021), Racecomp Engineering (07-04-2021), Spankopotomous (07-04-2021)
Old 07-05-2021, 12:12 AM   #32
Turdinator
Seņor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Turdinator: but i'm slightly curious now how car behaves NOT offroad . How comfortable/not TRD rally suspension is on public roads (if compared to stock, as well known baseline), and .. how it feels, if one were to take such lifted one to track
Sorry I missed this! I agree with abec's description in general. I haven't driven a twin with stock suspension for some time so I can't accurately compare I'm sorry. With my particular setup it is quite comfortable most of the time. That in part will be due to the baloon like tyres I have. From a comfort point of view I think the rear spring rate is a bit high and would be better being the same as the front. If the rear spring for the RCE set ends up being around 4.5kg/mm I may get them just for that.

From a handling point of view I am pleasantly surprised. It does lean a bit more and its not as sharp during transitions but the grip is there. With better wheels, tyres and some more rear camber I could imagine enjoying it on a canyon style run even. For reference beyond the TRD springs and shocks I have Pedders offset strut tops, whiteline camber bolts, Racerx adjustable rear upper control arms and the MCA traction brackets. I also swapped out the whiteline rear sway bar bushings for the stock units.

My alignment is about 1.5deg camber in the front and 1deg in the rear with 0 toe all around. I think with any toe in at the rear it would feel a bit too understeery.

I hope my waffling on gives you some idea
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Turdinator For This Useful Post:
abec (07-05-2021), jrhudson (07-05-2021)
Old 09-19-2021, 08:24 AM   #33
AndMsc

Drives: MY2018 GT86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
Looks like stock stroke, thanks!

- andrew
This is not great, right? It would be expected that a rally suspension has more travel. Buut, this could also mean that trd rally springs could fit on Sachs without giving unequal riide height change front to rear. Am I right?

Also: For those saying that this cannot be a good suspension for hybrid rallying because of the price: maybe this isn't very expensive, but it doesn't have any adjustments. So I am pretty sure the damping tune is spot on for the springs.

Last edited by AndMsc; 09-19-2021 at 01:37 PM.
AndMsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:12 AM   #34
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,226 Times in 2,954 Posts
Mentioned: 302 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndMsc View Post
This is not great, right? It would be expected that a rally suspension has more travel. Buut, this could also mean that trd rally springs could fit on Sachs without giving unequal riide height change front to rear. Am I right?

Also: For those saying that this cannot be a good suspension for hybrid rallying because of the price: maybe this isn't very expensive, but it doesn't have any adjustments. So I am pretty sure the damping tune is spot on for the springs.
More total travel would be nice for sure, but hard to make a big change there without spending a lot of money. The thing about the stock suspension is that it's plenty of droop (extension) travel and not enough bump travel. Raising the car with springs like this doesn't add to the total travel, but you trade droop travel for bump travel which is definitely a worthwhile trade to make.

(if you raise the car too much with springs and don't have enough droop travel, that is bad too. that's why we're sticking with 15mm lift for our own RCE Rally springs).

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
AndMsc (09-20-2021), grumpysnapper (09-24-2021), Spawn_Of_Creation (09-20-2021)
Old 09-20-2021, 02:47 PM   #35
AndMsc

Drives: MY2018 GT86
Quote:
More total travel would be nice for sure, but hard to make a big change there without spending a lot of money. The thing about the stock suspension is that it's plenty of droop (extension) travel and not enough bump travel. Raising the car with springs like this doesn't add to the total travel, but you trade droop travel for bump travel which is definitely a worthwhile trade to make.

(if you raise the car too much with springs and don't have enough droop travel, that is bad too. that's why we're sticking with 15mm lift for our own RCE Rally springs).

- Andrew
Perfect, I understand the logic now. Thank you 😁
AndMsc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndMsc For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (09-20-2021)
Old 09-21-2021, 09:32 PM   #36
Turdinator
Seņor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
If you're interested in a proper rally setup have a look at the below link. This bloke has turned his 86 into quite the rallycross car with a lot of DIY work. Including long travel suspension.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/fo.../172073/page1/
The Following User Says Thank You to Turdinator For This Useful Post:
AndMsc (09-23-2021)
Old 09-10-2022, 04:19 PM   #37
abec

Drives: 2019 Series Grey, 2016 FRS RIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
UPDATE:

It's been a little over 3 years since I originally installed the TRD rally suspension. I stopped using the TRD Rally dampers after I totaled my FRS. I wasn't happy with the rear of the car, it felt like it bounced off of bumps instead of soaking them up with the TRD rally dampers. I picked up a 2019 Series Grey and was very impressed by the performance package SACHS which had much better valving. So I opted to pair the TRD Rally Springs with the SACHS and have been extremely happy with the car since.

I recently got to dyno test the rears, and they looked to have some major issues. I think they were bad from the factory and had massive rebound cavitation. This explains why they would bounce off of bumps, as the rebound was basically non-existant.

I may not be on these springs much longer, as plans are in the works on getting some propper tarmac coilovers. Updates on those a bit later.

Last edited by abec; 09-11-2022 at 05:31 AM.
abec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 09:32 PM   #38
btvs123

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Quote:

- Andrew

As a current RCE customer about to change to an alternative suspension for a trip to Alaska, did you ever end up making a rally suspension? I don't see it on your website.
btvs123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 04:25 PM   #39
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,226 Times in 2,954 Posts
Mentioned: 302 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by btvs123 View Post
As a current RCE customer about to change to an alternative suspension for a trip to Alaska, did you ever end up making a rally suspension? I don't see it on your website.
Unfortunately we had to table that project. Still want to do it, but unsure when we'll be able to get it done.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Spawn_Of_Creation (11-14-2022)

Tags
dirt, drift, rally, suspension, trd