follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List
timurrrr

Old 08-02-2022, 07:02 PM   #323
clio

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by otter View Post
I haven't had time to pull my own oil pan yet but something that's stood out to me as I see everyone's pictures - there appears to be very little surface area on the engine side of the mating surface. I've never worked on a Subaru engine but for other engines I've pulled pans on there would usually be about 3/4" of mating surface but some of these pictures look like they're only 1/2", if not less. I could be wrong though since it can be hard to tell scale in pictures without a banana. That narrow surface would make it super easy to over-apply.
When I've seen engine manufacturing lines on Youtube the RTV is applied perfectly/precisely, by robotics. I don't know how Subaru tackle this but I'd be surprised if it were done manually.
clio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 07:07 PM   #324
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
The Drive has now reported this too.
https://www.thedrive.com/news/toyota...as-not-talking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once one does they all will. It won't be bad until they start trying to on up the others by making shit up and reporting it as fact.
DylanJZA (08-03-2022), Opie (08-02-2022), soundman98 (08-02-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 07:13 PM   #325
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clio View Post
When I've seen engine manufacturing lines on Youtube the RTV is applied perfectly/precisely, by robotics. I don't know how Subaru tackle this but I'd be surprised if it were done manually.
We have 40 manufacturing robots in our plant. An easy 99% of the time the robots do indeed do things perfectly. It only takes that 1% where somebody programed it wrong, the material was off spec, it was too hot, it was too cold, there was a power surge, there was a power drop, the compressor was off by 5 PSI, etc, etc, etc, etc.
All in all it happens.

Also remember you are not going to see videos of the robots screwing up on YouTube unless it is all blurry and smuggled out.

Last edited by Tcoat; 08-02-2022 at 07:27 PM.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
22 BRZ (08-02-2022), Dadhawk (08-03-2022), DocWalt (08-03-2022), DylanJZA (08-03-2022), mycrors7 (08-02-2022), NoHaveMSG (08-02-2022), soundman98 (08-02-2022), Stonehorsw (08-02-2022), timurrrr (08-03-2022), villainous_frx (08-02-2022), ZDan (08-02-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 08:27 PM   #326
Opie

Drives: '13 BRZ TLM Spec
Thanked 2,317 Times in 998 Posts
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Garage
I find it hilarious that people still think that the 2013 Gen 1 is the most trouble prone and are surprised when mass produced products, especially new ones, have issues.

My early prod 13 was wrecked twice and totalled on the second accident before 20k miles (prior owner). It's been tracked heavily ever since and beat on, now at 34k....still on the original engine (never had the valve spring recall completed), original HPFP, original throwout bearing, original clutch, original transmission & original rear diff, both original rear axles (though they have been repacked)....IMHO issues are not usually engineering or build quality problems...

As I mentioned before, failures are investigated and causes found. If it is a defect it will be repaired, a production change will be made and/or a TSB will result. If it is abuse, or outside influence, that will be well documented...internally of course. Or publicly if taken to court. It won't be solved by public opinion.
Dadhawk (08-03-2022), new2subaru (08-02-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 08:48 PM   #327
Opie

Drives: '13 BRZ TLM Spec
Thanked 2,317 Times in 998 Posts
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjan00dles View Post
Cavitation due to inlet blockage... you have to take into account mass flow rate, fluid velocity as the suction inlet shrinks, oil pump speed /rpm and a few other things. If you have a blockage the fluid velocity has to increase to maintain the same mass flow rate which lowers your pressure, look at bernoulli's law. Even if it's not completely blocked, at sustained high RPM with all those factors that's enough to give you enough starvation to spin your bearings.

There was a guy who tracked extensively /owned a shop in South America (Peru?) on this forum who was blowing 13-16 motors left and right until he went to a larger pickup tube. The thread should be on this site, he had some good data points.
Fair possibility. But I would think that with the pickup designed to combat loss of pressure they would've considered cavitation as well...

And considering the ECM monitors oil pressure, the oil pressure warning light would've (should've) illuminated had there been a loss of pressure from cavitation or some other issue.

My 13 is tracked extensively...still on original engine....
Old 08-02-2022, 08:54 PM   #328
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Attached Images

Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lantanafrs2 For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (08-02-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 09:05 PM   #329
Robertw

Drives: 1996 Turbo Miata
https://www.motortrend.com/news/toyo...T%3Atrueanthem

Motor trend getting in on the action.
Robertw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 09:42 PM   #330
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie View Post
I find it hilarious that people still think that the 2013 Gen 1 is the most trouble prone and are surprised when mass produced products, especially new ones, have issues.

My early prod 13 was wrecked twice and totalled on the second accident before 20k miles (prior owner). It's been tracked heavily ever since and beat on, now at 34k....still on the original engine (never had the valve spring recall completed), original HPFP, original throwout bearing, original clutch, original transmission & original rear diff, both original rear axles (though they have been repacked)....IMHO issues are not usually engineering or build quality problems...
Any power mods? Stock tune?
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 09:42 PM   #331
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Fair possibility. But I would think that with the pickup designed to combat loss of pressure they would've considered cavitation as well...

And considering the ECM monitors oil pressure, the oil pressure warning light would've (should've) illuminated had there been a loss of pressure from cavitation or some other issue.

My 13 is tracked extensively...still on original engine....

I’ve never seen a low pressure warning light come on even when the car had no oil pressure and the rod let go.
Old 08-02-2022, 10:02 PM   #332
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I mean I’ve got 116k on my original 12/12 build date car, replaced TOB, replaced coil packs, replaced axles, did the valve spring recall (which fixed my leaky timing cover, thanks Toyota!) and it’s fine. I typically rev to 5k rpm and dump the clutch multiple times per weekend for autox. It’s seen a couple track days, will likely see a few more before I’m done with it. My anecdote does not all of a sudden make the car bulletproof and problem free.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 11:26 PM   #333
Dylans47

Drives: Scion FR-S
My 2023 GR86 is coming in shortly and all this talk is making me second guess the possible purchase, especially because I want to track worry free.

Lets say the short block needs replacing, what happens to the carfax or paper trail? Would it be branded "rebuilt" title? Not only would I have to wait months to be get the car back while the engine is being fixed, but now I have a rebuilt title car which is worth a considerable amount less.
Dylans47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 12:06 AM   #334
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylans47 View Post
My 2023 GR86 is coming in shortly and all this talk is making me second guess the possible purchase, especially because I want to track worry free.

Lets say the short block needs replacing, what happens to the carfax or paper trail? Would it be branded "rebuilt" title? Not only would I have to wait months to be get the car back while the engine is being fixed, but now I have a rebuilt title car which is worth a considerable amount less.
a number of things to unpack here. lots of fear.

so first, carfax:
anything can and will happen with a carfax. because carfax is like your brothers ex-girlfriends step fathers sisters cousin telling you something factual about your new wife that lived on the other side of the country from them. there is nothing about carfax is that is legally binding. they're really just a crappy search engine for vehicle history. think less google search, more internet explorer search. the fact that anyone trusts them more than a used car salesman with a gold chain is more a testament to their marketing skills than their database collection skills. carfax has absolutely no official standing within any governing body anywhere in the world. they are an information supplier. and one that makes very clear what an individual chooses to do with the information they supply is not their responsibility:

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/trust...8#.UbOr4_nrxyU

second, 'rebuilt' titles:
a rebuilt title occurs within the governing process of vehicle registration. for a vehicle to be registered as 'rebuilt', the vehicle would have to first be legally 'totaled'.

by 'totaled', it means that the vehicle was damaged, and an insurance agency, after performing an assessment of the damage, has decided to write the vehicle off as a 'total loss' due to the costs and/or liability-of-repair incurred from the damage to the vehicle--the threshold for this varies from state to state, as well as different insurers policies. they issue a pay out for the vehicles market value to the insured person.

from there, the title is branded. the insurance then takes the vehicle and sells it at auction to any entity willing to put a bid in to purchase it. they do this in an effort to offset the costs of the payout. sometimes you can buy your totaled vehicle back at this point as well.

from there, that entity takes the vehicle and sometimes will fix the damage the insurance company didn't want to. at that point, they get the vehicle re-certified for road use via the local authorities, and it finally receives a rebuilt title designation.

so simply swapping the motor, it's impossible to get a rebuilt title designation. it's also important to remember that this can really only happen when insurance is involved. if one doesn't involve insurance, there is no payout, and unless a local official marks the vehicle as 'unsafe', there will likely never be a branded title either.

what i believe you're looking for is 'diminished value', ie; with the recorded change of the motor, there's a loss of the resale value of the vehicle when compared to the same vehicle without the manufacturing defect that caused the replacement.

i believe that's an entirely separate legal proceeding that you would pursue through typical legal channels against the automaker after the work was performed and noted on the vehicles history.

but all of this worrying before getting the car is just causing grey hairs for no reason. beat the snot out of the car. if it fails within warranty, bring it back, make it toyota/subaru's problem. that's what the warranty is there for. to catch manufacturing defects.
Opie (08-03-2022), villainous_frx (08-04-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 12:27 AM   #335
removedonut

Drives: 2022 Toyota GR86 Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
The ECM in this car does not monitor oil pressure, nor is there an oil pressure sensor anywhere in the car. There is a simple switch that engages when there is absolutely zero oil pressure in the car. This requires A LOT to go wrong, and as mentioned you can have complete catastrophic engine failure without it ever coming on.
removedonut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to removedonut For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (08-03-2022), DylanJZA (08-03-2022), timurrrr (08-03-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 12:52 AM   #336
Dylans47

Drives: Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
a number of things to unpack here. lots of fear.

so first, carfax....
Totally understand what you're saying about carfax. In fact, my '91 miata has a random false carfax statement saying rear end collision. Never happened.

Anyways, most people aren't like us. 99% of people will see a red warning symbol on a carfax report and walk away or ask for a considerable discount.

This "diminished value" you mentioned wouldn't show up on Carfax, I'm assuming. So how might someone buying a car with a replacement short block even know there was ever an issue? It sounds like the seller is the only person who could provide that information.

In other words, if a short block is replaced under warranty it will have no effect on resale value?

Last edited by Dylans47; 08-03-2022 at 01:04 AM.
Dylans47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oh no not again