follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 07-20-2022, 10:14 PM   #1
Bergycheese348

Drives: TRD Supercharged 2016 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TRD Oil Cooler help

Hello.
TL;DR: need suggestions for places to get pipe thread bolts or suggestions for pipe thread bolts that would fit oil pressure and oil temp sensors.

So I just bought the TRD Oil Cooler from the 86 Racing (edition). I installed it, and when I was about to put the sandwich plate on, I saw the two holes on the back that is where the sensors are supposed to go. I’m not in need of sensors, so I was going to plug them up with two bolts. The holes are tapered (bigger near the surface, gets smaller as it goes down), and the only type of bolt I’ve found that would be tapered would be a pipe thread bolt. I’ve went to a few chain auto parts stores as well as some hardware stores, and nobody has the correct size. Also, one has more fine threads, and one has more corse threads. Anyone have any suggestions on places to go to get a bolt that would work? I know I don’t have the ‘size’ narrowed down, but I just need to know a place to go…
Thanks!
Bergycheese348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 08:12 AM   #2
MrSkubi

Drives: 17 BRZ ,21 GR Yaris, 23 GR86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Is it this type of sandwich plate ?
https://www.rallysportdirect.com/par...h-sensor-plate
According to RSD it's 1/8 PT.
How about rethreading them to more common bolt type if this 1/8 PT won't work?
MrSkubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 11:21 AM   #3
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,224 Times in 7,328 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
If it is a factory part it is probably BSPT, the timing cover is threaded 1/8 BSPT. I would take it to a local hydraulic fitting company or a transmission shop. They should be able to check the threads and sell you the fittings.
Ultramaroon (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 04:09 PM   #4
Bergycheese348

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSkubi View Post
Is it this type of sandwich plate ?
https://www.rallysportdirect.com/par...h-sensor-plate
According to RSD it's 1/8 PT.
How about rethreading them to more common bolt type if this 1/8 PT won't work?
It is not that TRD sandwich plate. The one most comparable is the older HKS Type-S sandwich plate. I posted the same question on the FaceBook group, and I’ve had a few say that’s what it is, but there are some differences that I see, still. I tried the 1/8 PT, but that doesn’t fit. I’d bore/rethread it as a last option, but I’m not that good with stuff like that. The Imgur link below has both the HKS and the TRD one I have, and the last pic is showing the tapered holes. As mentioned, there are some close resemblances between the two, but I see some small differences. I reached out to HKS, and awaiting their response.

https://imgur.com/a/3yoJ6bJ
Old 07-21-2022, 04:12 PM   #5
Bergycheese348

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
If it is a factory part it is probably BSPT, the timing cover is threaded 1/8 BSPT. I would take it to a local hydraulic fitting company or a transmission shop. They should be able to check the threads and sell you the fittings.
I have no idea if I would describe it as ‘factory’, as it is a TRD part and TRD Japan is for the most part separate from Toyota themselves. It’s also technically aftermarket since you couldn’t get it on a regular GT86 over there, as you needed this specific spec to get it. I’ll check out a local transmission/race shop after work here soon, and I’ll report back when I’m done!
Old 07-21-2022, 05:30 PM   #6
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,459 Times in 18,887 Posts
Mentioned: 1105 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
^^^this^^^

BSPP is British Standard Pipe, Parallel
BSPT is British Standard Pipe, Tapered

I think it has one more thread per inch than NPT.
Old 07-21-2022, 06:49 PM   #7
Bergycheese348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
^^^this^^^

BSPP is British Standard Pipe, Parallel
BSPT is British Standard Pipe, Tapered

I think it has one more thread per inch than NPT.
Good to know the abbreviations… but it’s going to be interesting to figure it out beyond just this as the pitch (distance between threads) is different between the two as one is more coats and one is more fine.
Old 07-21-2022, 06:52 PM   #8
Bergycheese348

Quote:
Oh, and as a update…
The local transmission/Motorsport shop didn’t have a clue. They suggested Fastenal and Grainger so I’ll have to head there tomorrow. And as for HKS, it seems they briefly skimmed over my email, saw TRD was mentioned, and said they couldn’t help…so I’m waiting on their response to my reply.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bergycheese348 For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 07:33 PM   #9
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergycheese348 View Post
Oh, and as a update…
The local transmission/Motorsport shop didn’t have a clue. They suggested Fastenal and Grainger so I’ll have to head there tomorrow. And as for HKS, it seems they briefly skimmed over my email, saw TRD was mentioned, and said they couldn’t help…so I’m waiting on their response to my reply.

That’s strange. I have two transmission shops that are quite handy as they tend to have to build hard lines a lot for a verity of cars.

I would try and see if there is a Motion & Flow control products or Applied industrial in your area. Fastenal will be a better option then grainger. Grainger carry’s a larger verity of stuff but they suck to deal with.
Old 07-21-2022, 07:49 PM   #10
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,459 Times in 18,887 Posts
Mentioned: 1105 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Good to know the abbreviations… but it’s going to be interesting to figure it out beyond just this as the pitch (distance between threads) is different between the two as one is more coats and one is more fine.
It's tapered. Just clean around your pressure switch, yank it out, and screw it into the adapter to test. If it doesn't go more than a half turn, it's NPT.

If you haven't ever done this, don't go all hamfisted when you're screwing the pressure switch back into the timing cover. Just go a smidge more than finger tight, and start the engine. If it weeps, clean it and go a little more. You may be surprised with how little torque is required. Don't worry about the connector until after you're satisfied with the tightness.
Old 07-21-2022, 08:38 PM   #11
Bergycheese348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
It's tapered. Just clean around your pressure switch, yank it out, and screw it into the adapter to test. If it doesn't go more than a half turn, it's NPT.

If you haven't ever done this, don't go all hamfisted when you're screwing the pressure switch back into the timing cover. Just go a smidge more than finger tight, and start the engine. If it weeps, clean it and go a little more. You may be surprised with how little torque is required. Don't worry about the connector until after you're satisfied with the tightness.
Are you saying I should try the timing cover bolt to test it?
Old 07-21-2022, 08:56 PM   #12
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Are you saying I should try the timing cover bolt to test it?
Not the bolt, the OEM pressure or temp sender. They are 1/8 BSPT. They are located on the timing cover, driver side, not far from the oil filter/filler location.
Old 07-21-2022, 10:32 PM   #13
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
It is not that TRD sandwich plate. The one most comparable is the older HKS Type-S sandwich plate. I posted the same question on the FaceBook group, and I’ve had a few say that’s what it is, but there are some differences that I see, still. I tried the 1/8 PT, but that doesn’t fit. I’d bore/rethread it as a last option, but I’m not that good with stuff like that. The Imgur link below has both the HKS and the TRD one I have, and the last pic is showing the tapered holes. As mentioned, there are some close resemblances between the two, but I see some small differences. I reached out to HKS, and awaiting their response.

https://imgur.com/a/3yoJ6bJ
1/8" British pipe thread (BPT) (usually used in Europe and Asia) has a different profile from 1/8" Pipe thread (NPT) that you can find in American hardware stores.

Make sure what you have tried to put in there is British Pipe Thread.

If you buy Japanese-make sensor kits (think Blitz, Greddy, HKS, etc), they almost always come with the BPT sensors. If you buy US-market sensor kits (AEM, Autometer, Glowshift, Mishimoto, anything from your local Auto Parts store like Autozone) or a generic sensor off of Amazon, they will be very likely NPT unless otherwise specified.
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jdm, oil cooler, racing, trd