follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

View Poll Results: What do you use your car for and how important is suspension to you?
daily driver, suspension work primarily for better looks 27 11.84%
daily driver, suspension work primarily for better handling 67 29.39%
daily driver, some track, some auto-x 91 39.91%
Track or auto-x junkie, street drivable 41 17.98%
caged, track or auto-x only monster, no street 2 0.88%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 02-20-2015, 04:34 AM   #43
campy
No rice, no life

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Thanked 1,019 Times in 388 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Coming from a track-prepped Porsche 911, I only did 2 autocrosses before putting on KWV3s since I thought I knew what to expect. After a falling-out with my local SCCA chapter, I now rarely go to any events. So I'm stuck with a low, loud, uncomfortable car as an unjustifiable DD. Even worse is that my wider set of wheels won't clear the stock springs, so I would have to replace those too as I have trouble getting power down on stock width.

Oh well, I can save the comfortable cars for when I'm too old for sports cars haha
campy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:15 AM   #44
Panman

Drives: 86 GTS
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
Thanks so much for the responses guys. It's really cool to see how many of you are into enjoying these cars like we do (including those who just want a better suspension for the street). A lot more suspension people than I thought!

- Andy

Andy, the support and inputs to the forum from yourselves and CSG have been invaluable in guiding many of us in our setups. Especially in Australia where we have a more limited selection, and the cost of acquisition (especially a bad choice) is quite high.

It's great that the advice is so freely given and so reputable.
Panman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Panman For This Useful Post:
JimmyMac (02-20-2015), Racecomp Engineering (02-20-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 05:23 AM   #45
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by campy View Post
Coming from a track-prepped Porsche 911, I only did 2 autocrosses before putting on KWV3s since I thought I knew what to expect. After a falling-out with my local SCCA chapter, I now rarely go to any events. So I'm stuck with a low, loud, uncomfortable car as an unjustifiable DD. Even worse is that my wider set of wheels won't clear the stock springs, so I would have to replace those too as I have trouble getting power down on stock width.

Oh well, I can save the comfortable cars for when I'm too old for sports cars haha
This has come up with in the past. The result has always been that your KWV3's should be able to ride well with the right settings. Take a look around, you should be able to find some recommended settings.

About the ride height, can't those get to 15mm down from factory ride height? That wouldn't be too bad.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (02-20-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 09:30 AM   #46
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,226 Times in 2,954 Posts
Mentioned: 302 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:

Calum is right...a little tuning and the KW V3s will ride and handle really well.

Raise the car a little bit and use these settings:

"FRONT REBOUND: 12

FRONT COMPRESSION 13

REAR REBOUND : 14

REAR COMPRESSION : 9

*** ALL OF THESE SETTINGS ARE FROM FULL STIFF ******

So adjust the adjusters to FULL STIFF( CLOCKWISE ) then back it off these numbers of clicks.

Myles"

We developed these settings a few years ago and they work really well.

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
37 (02-20-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 10:05 AM   #47
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Calum is right...

- Andy
This is really all anyone needs to know, right? RIGHT? Guys...?
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
PandaBRZ (02-20-2015), Racecomp Engineering (02-21-2015), wparsons (04-16-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 08:06 PM   #48
degrees

Drives: 6MT BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
FRONT REBOUND: 12
FRONT COMPRESSION 13
REAR REBOUND : 14
REAR COMPRESSION : 9
Same settings for the RCE Tarmac II or only the KW V3?
37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:48 PM   #49
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 View Post
Same settings for the RCE Tarmac II or only the KW V3?
No the T2's use different settings. They are on our FB page buried in the pictures from early 2013.

Mw
Old 02-20-2015, 08:50 PM   #50
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:

Do you still own the 911?

We're in Baltimore/ DC area. You're not too too far. If you want come down and I can setup your 911 KW v3's. I have a lot of experience with those cars.

Myles
Old 02-20-2015, 09:57 PM   #51
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,396 Times in 5,260 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
My car is my DD and only practical car (GF has the other car which is an MR2 spyder, lol). I autox only and would run full seasons if budget allowed. Honestly i like getting parts and am looking forward to "finishing" my first car. I go to a handful of events per year and spend a bunch of time in the mountains. This forum has helped me develop a higher standard for suspension with the topics covered that go above my head most of the time.

I am currently on RCE yellows with bridgestone S-04s with around -2 camber all around and zero toe. I also have the whiteline rear subframe bushings and rear uca bushings (PITA, but soooo worth it). I plan to install Konis and maybe sways eventually. I'll add sticky tires and wide wheels last or close to last so I can learn more on semi-sticky tires. By the time my skill gets to a level needing them I should have saved enough to make a big jump like Tarmac IIs or similar when I jump to chasing trophies and the track.

My main focus has been suspension with only a catback and intake added for power and I don't regret it a bit.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (02-21-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 11:49 PM   #52
akahenry

Drives: '18 STi
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I use stock everything for my car because I live by the frugal philosophy that, "if it isn't broken, no need to replace it." Perhaps in a couple years when something goes wrong, then I'll invest into some quality replacements--till then, I'll just try my best to do my part in maintaining the car as it was from the factory. On a side note, I will have to admit that I have replaced my header to the Tomei UEL Header as well as tuning the car for reliability with the Open Flast Tablet.
akahenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 01:26 PM   #53
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
My main focus has been suspension with only a catback and intake added for power and I don't regret it a bit.
That...is exactly what I like to see!

- Andy
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (02-21-2015)
Old 04-16-2015, 08:41 AM   #54
CarGuy
Track Rat

Drives: '14 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Primarily a track car with some auto-x that I drive to the track.

I just installed Ohlins R&T. On deck are bushings (all Whiteline) to be installed. After that I will schedule a corner balance and alignment. Hopefully all will be completed before the season starts up here in the Great White North.

The car is lowered to the Ohlins recommended 20mm drop so no need for roll centre/bump steer correction kit. I will dial in as much camber in the front as the camber plates will allow, so somewhere around -3 deg. For the rear I am thinking of getting Racer X LCA's for adjustability. For now I'm on stock LCA's and the approx. -2 deg. camber from the 20mm drop will have to do for now.

Bushings to be installed are:
1- Lower Inner Front Bushing and Lower Inner Rear Bushing (anti-dive kit)
2- Rear Crossmember Mount Insert Bushing
3- Rear Diff Mount Cradle & Support Outrigger Insert Bushing
4- Front Gearbox Positive Shift Kit Bushing

Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting. - Steve McQueen
CarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CarGuy For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (04-16-2015), wparsons (04-16-2015)
Old 04-16-2015, 10:57 AM   #55
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Pierre, I've got the positive shift kit and rear diff inserts already installed. Forgot to mention that before.

I'll say it again for the people online, your car rides fantastic. It's as smooth, or smoother, than mine with significantly higher spring rates.

I've been toying with the idea of making my own toe links, I think I can make them for about half what the good ones cost, but still using very high quality heim joints.
Old 04-17-2015, 04:04 AM   #56
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm curious how people are using their BRZ/FRS in this community.

You can take this as a function vs. form discussion or whatever way you'd like. I know some of us are hardcore suspension geeks that show up to meets and get confused looks when we talk about corner entry understeer and dialing in 2 clicks of rebound or increasing caster etc. while other people are talking about how they painted their brake calipers or added boost fluid to their motor (jk). Suspension guys and girls are a very small niche within a very small niche....

Some of us are just getting into learning about suspension. Some of us just want a mild upgrade to keep up with the rest of their mods. Some just want a certain look.

Poll incoming.

- Andy
Keep doing this and we just might change that. Thanks to the interwebs and the growing popularity of track days HPDEs may of the strictly "hellaslammed" show car crowd are beginning to cross over the suspension, corner under/2 clicks/castor side of things.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to solidONE For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (04-17-2015)