follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 01-11-2015, 09:03 AM   #43
degrees

Drives: 6MT BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe View Post
Hello! from my ignorance of mechanical issues
a question .... OEM transmission shaft, consists of two parts and a rubber gasket ... right? why?
which is the reason why Japanese engineers (which should not be too dumb), make this piece into two parts?
The two-piece driveshaft reduces NVH (noise/vibration/harshness). Most car owners want as little NVH as possible. The percentage of enthusiasts modifying their cars is a small fraction of overall automobile owners. Cars are built for the masses.

Carbon fiber notwithstanding, it's less expensive to engineer and produce a one-piece driveshaft. We have the more expensive option from the factory. Rest assured that Japanese engineers (or any auto engineers for that matter) aren't dumb and do these things with a purpose in mind.
37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:42 AM   #44
pepe

Drives: gt86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ok....
then, as is that if you increase NVH .... here's colleagues describe that with this mod, the car is smoother, better gear changing and it's great?
pepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:28 PM   #45
degrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 View Post
Cars are built for the masses.
Quote:
Ok....
then, as is that if you increase NVH .... here's colleagues describe that with this mod, the car is smoother, better gear changing and it's great?
See my quote above, plus the fact that you're comparing an expensive carbon fiber driveshaft to an inexpensive OEM driveshaft. Do you really think Subaru/Toyota was willing to add $500~1000 to the selling price of these cars? No way.

My example about NVH is comparing a solid steel driveshaft to an articulated steel driveshaft. That's why I said not to compare carbon fiber to OEM. You're comparing apples and dump trucks.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:48 PM   #46
pepe

Drives: gt86
perfect, I am aware of the difference between apples and um truck and car sales for normal public calculated costs, hehe ... but my question is .... because that made carbon fiber piece has not been made in two parts, as the original? and consequences e can expect from it in one piece?
We can think of twists, when the car goes through a hole in the asphalt of our everyday life? it is thought that? or is it just something for a smooth and perfect circuit?
pepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 04:13 PM   #47
degrees

Quote:
but my question is .... because that made carbon fiber piece has not been made in two parts, as the original? and consequences e can expect from it in one piece?
We can think of twists, when the car goes through a hole in the asphalt of our everyday life? it is thought that? or is it just something for a smooth and perfect circuit?
Carbon fiber will shatter into pieces in the event of a failure so it's actually safer than a metal driveshaft. It should be perfectly fine if used daily on a street car.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:00 PM   #48
frssfo

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Now you've had this for awhile can you comment on thoughts of performance and NVH and so on please? Very curious to hear as I am doing mine soon as well. I know some fellows with the aluminum ones have commented on increased NVH or vibrations and having to turn 90-180 degrees on back plate to rid of and wondering if there are any concerns on the CF version?
When I installed the CF driveshaft, initially there were a lot of vibrations at about 4500 RPM. I rotated the driveshaft by 90 degrees and the vibrations went away.

It's a good idea to mark/number the bolt holes before you start rotating, so you can make a note of what result you got from what rotation.

My stock driveshaft was marked with white paint to indicate the correct rotation, with a mark on the diff side flange too, so I used that factory mark as a reference. YMMV.
frssfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:40 PM   #49
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by frssfo View Post
When I installed the CF driveshaft, initially there were a lot of vibrations at about 4500 RPM. I rotated the driveshaft by 90 degrees and the vibrations went away.

It's a good idea to mark/number the bolt holes before you start rotating, so you can make a note of what result you got from what rotation.

My stock driveshaft was marked with white paint to indicate the correct rotation, with a mark on the diff side flange too, so I used that factory mark as a reference. YMMV.

Yes I did all that and Ive' been down such roads before as well, with the DSS it was there on all corners one however alot less...., with PST nothing on any corner.....
Old 06-15-2015, 07:55 PM   #50
Courier6

Drives: 2015 FR-S Release 1.0
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efferalgan View Post
Thanks a lot for the DYI! Just installed mine. So far everything is perfect, no increase in noise and or vibrations (although also installed Nameless FP/DP combo together with the DS which added loudness). The only concern, which mechanics pointed my attention to, is the lack of the protective cup on the carbon driveshaft. I allows dirt, liquid and chemicals from the road to contact the connection point of the DS with the gearbox, which is not good at all. They even recommended to cut the protective cup from the OEM driveshaft and weld it to the DriveshaftShop one. I declined for the time being but now thinking about protective measures for the DS... Let's see how it survives winter.
Hey there! So how has this been working out... any issues without the cup thingie?
Courier6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:25 PM   #51
philooo

Drives: 13' Scion FRS Track car
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
good observation, I am curious about the cup thingy protector as well..
Old 06-17-2016, 06:49 PM   #52
tofurun

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Drive shaft ended up not coming in today and have to put oem back on for now. Can someone tell me why he marked the oem driveshaft when he took it off??? It looks the same all around those 4 bolts so why do they need to line up? If it need to line up how do I line it up where it need to be without marks like installing a new oem driveshaft
tofurun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:09 AM   #53
tofurun

Garage
The OEM drive shaft and Dif is marked with a red marking to line them back up (from the factory its marked). Thank god. Still not sure why it has to go back the same like that, The one piece it doesnt matter and I measured all of it and each part is completely equal in measurements. Either way I talked to a Subie Tech and he said if the OEM isnt hooked up the same it can cause problems... no idea why
Old 07-06-2016, 12:59 PM   #54
mrderp
ಠ_ಠ

Drives: 860 SansOverspray
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurun View Post
Either way I talked to a Subie Tech and he said if the OEM isnt hooked up the same it can cause problems... no idea why
It's balanced. Hooking it up the wrong way may increase NVH among other things.
mrderp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:13 PM   #55
tofurun

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrderp View Post
It's balanced. Hooking it up the wrong way may increase NVH among other things.
Thanks. Over my head. It was lined up and the DSS one finally came in and is on there now. . whats NVH stand for though?
Old 07-10-2016, 07:18 AM   #56
Panman

Drives: 86 GTS
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Noise Vibration and Harshness.

OP, does the carbon shaft work with a short shift - the DSS Alloy one does not.
Panman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy, driveshaft, driveshaft shop, dss