follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-29-2014, 11:10 AM   #29
rapidcars

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I had a blown motor a little less than 2 years ago. Similar symptoms to what's been posted here. Here's my info:

What failed (if you know) - They had just replaced the cam gear because of a CEL. I imagine it was faulty work somewhere during the replacement process
Mileage - 800
How it failed - Heard a clanking type sound and then the motor started failing to maintain idle and lost almost all power
Circumstances when it went out- Was driving it home the day I picked it up after the initial warranty work on the cam gear. Almost immediately after the noise started, it went boom
Results of warranty claim? - Replaced long block motor and gave me some compensation but that's all I'm legally allowed to say Current motor has over 20k miles on it and has been fine (knock on wood)
And of course... modifications to the car, your use of the car - Bone Stock
Last oil change - Only 800 miles so initial fill from factory
List of services performed, IE, recent reflash etc. Cam Gear replaced, ECU reflashed
Old 05-29-2014, 08:40 PM   #30
Davey

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavnFRS View Post
16k miles
Blew a rod and sent my cylinder through the head. got full warranty because last snal taken was at a high gear and low rpm.
Toyota tech came in and looked and it and saod the cat was driven extremely hard blah blah blah and there was supposably tons of metal in the engine.
Genius.

So how does one have a con rod let go and put a hole through the block and NOT have a ton of metal shavings/bits in the engine?

Anyway... Hope this turns out well for you.
Davey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:11 PM   #31
RavnFRS

Drives: 2013 Scion Frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Lol second engine now, had it for one week. Never took it over 4000 rpms. Blew yesterday, they think it threw a rod. So fuckin annoyed. Waiting for another rep to come in.
RavnFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RavnFRS For This Useful Post:
zohare (06-28-2014)
Old 06-28-2014, 03:00 PM   #32
zohare

Drives: '13 Firestorm Base AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr 286 View Post
The coil was some unrelated problem. The fuse block and harness was part of the accident. Fuse box got hit so it needed replacement along with the attached harness.

My warranty is 7 yrs, 100,000 miles. I grabbed the extension when I bought the car since I didn't plan to mod it much.

Honestly, I'm still on the fence about selling it and buying an E92 M3. I mean, if it's going to be in the shop as often as a 400+HP BMW, then I may as well be driving one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hahahahaha BRAVO subaru is all I have to say here....
Thanks everyone for the posts, keep them coming. Sorry to have been absent for so long. Car is in the shop still. Got it back, CEL the moment it left the dealer. Gave it back to them a few days later, since then it's been apart and back together repeatedly, toyota master tech doesn't know what's wrong with it, they're now taking the heads apart. (Which I believe come from Subaru assembled?) What still makes me laugh is the fact that it didn't throw a code for a rod clanging around but it throws them for just about ANYTHING else from bad gas, to a problem in the heads, which, if I'm honest I couldn't even feel, the car was running fine. Also, what code can a car throw that Toyota doesn't know what it is? Isn't the the ENTIRE PURPOSE of a DTC is to help with trouble shooting? They won't tell me much except something out of balance. Likely valvetrain. Which I don't care about, because my dealer is being awesome and is on top of it. I have started the Lemon process internally through Toyota channels, since I have too many miles toqualify for state. If that doesn't work, (they should, they have to have spent the value of the car on rentals, parts, labor by now.) Then I will go to arbitration. If THAT doesn't work... I'll just pray they fix the car right.

I'm totally with you! Considering numerous other nightmare projects one of which is a 540i. (e92 isn't reallly in my $ range :P) Wish I had the cash actually, because I'd love to do the renegade hybrids LSx into a Boxster S swap. Reliable, under 20k, absurdly quick MR car with amazing handling, good brakes already, close ratio gears etc.
zohare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:35 PM   #33
nashsnazzy

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S White Out
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
That quote about the car being driven hard because there was metal in the engine cracks me up. I mean geez do you think there might be metal in the engine because there was a problem in the engine, which is made full of metal? This is sort of scary. I used to FLOG my GTO with it's 'merican V8 and it NEVER skipped a beat. I've also flogged RSX-S's, S2000s, VW 1.8T Jetta, and 5 MX-5s and none have EVER had a single issue with the engine. If you can't drive a car that develops power about 4k hard what good is it?
nashsnazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nashsnazzy For This Useful Post:
Mr 286 (06-29-2014)
Old 06-29-2014, 07:56 AM   #34
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,767 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
And i thought rotary engine was unreliable...
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:44 AM   #35
Apoc

Drives: Raven FR-S 6M
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Just bringing a bit of real world statistics into this thread. Please take a look at the engine failure rate of top manufacturers in the link before you set expectations of a engine that should never fail.

As a real example I have located a study of engine failure rates among the major brands done by a large warranty provider in the UK. Honda leads the pack with the fewest 1 in 344. Imagine if FA20 has 1 in 100 engines fail (which is actually pretty good) and a portion of those people posted on these boards because they are unhappy. Would you be able to gain any accurate stats about engine failure rates? I doubt it. This is why manufacturers provide warranties.

http://www.warrantydirect.co.uk/press269.html
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Apoc For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (06-29-2014), DAEMANO (09-02-2015), extrashaky (06-29-2014), Scrappydoo (05-14-2017)
Old 06-29-2014, 02:06 PM   #36
civicdrivr

Drives: 2018 Golf R
Thanked 1,095 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Just bringing a bit of real world statistics into this thread. Please take a look at the engine failure rate of top manufacturers in the link before you set expectations of a engine that should never fail.

As a real example I have located a study of engine failure rates among the major brands done by a large warranty provider in the UK. Honda leads the pack with the fewest 1 in 344. Imagine if FA20 has 1 in 100 engines fail (which is actually pretty good) and a portion of those people posted on these boards because they are unhappy. Would you be able to gain any accurate stats about engine failure rates? I doubt it. This is why manufacturers provide warranties.

While I appreciate the stats posted (seriously, it puts it into perspective), its not so much how or why the motor fails, but how the manufacturer fixes it; or in some cases, how they blame the customer.
zohare (07-20-2014)
Old 06-29-2014, 02:26 PM   #37
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
One thing we should track on this thread is if you had an engine worked on and then had it blow.
I talked to a local engine builder that had two FA20s on his workstands in his shop.

He said that he had never seen an engine with so much sealant applied by the factory.
He said that if he ever budgets a complete rebuild on one he needs to double the time required to cleanup all of the sealant and get it off the block/parts.

So one of my theories is that when the dealerships perform work on these engines they do not use due diligence in getting every tiny piece of sealant out of the block.
One tiny piece of silicone is all that is required to starve a rod bearing of oil.

I see too many of these "My engine blew X miles after the dealer replaced Y!"
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:13 PM   #38
Ernie L

Drives: 2014 BRZ black premium
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

It would be helpful if a definition of "engine failure" was included in that article.
Do they mean anything that fails and causes the engine to stop operating is an engine failure. ..Is a failed ECU or a fault requiring a complete engine removal and dis-assembly counted the same ?

"1 in 13 MG Rover motors failed in the past year, while 1 in 27 Audi owners had issues with theirs."
"motors failed "and "had issues" lumped together..This seems a bit sensational ..chasing clicks so to speak.
Ernie L is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ernie L For This Useful Post:
SomeoneWhoIsntMe (07-03-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 06:31 PM   #39
FT911

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited CBS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
2014 BRZ Limited engine failure (Still going through replacement and what not)
I will update this if I learn more.

What failed (if you know) - Rod knock and #4 rod bearing failed.
Mileage - 8000
How it failed - Haven't heard much on this, but my guess is maybe something to do with oil starvation
Circumstances when it went out- Engine stalled at stop sign. Started it back up and heard a knocking above 2000 RPMS. Stalled on idle.
Results of warranty claim? - Replacing of the long block motor
And of course... modifications to the car, your use of the car - Stock other than some LEDs on the interior, daily driver.

UPDATE: What failed. Car is still in the shop.

Last edited by FT911; 08-12-2014 at 11:59 PM.
FT911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:19 AM   #40
ZZT86

Drives: BR86
Quote:

I would bet that Subaru is in the bottom half of all brands (JD Power), note that Toyota designed/made engines are usually bombproof which is exactly my previous experience with them. Having said that my 86 is purring quite nicely after 25K kms.
ZZT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:39 AM   #41
eurospeed

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Take a look at the CEL/SL/Idle Issue thread. In the list of names, you will find engine failures as a result of the issue highlighted in red.
eurospeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:29 AM   #42
zohare

Drives: '13 Firestorm Base AT
Garage
Hm. To all- Please don't misunderstand me saying this is a problem with all of the, but clearly there are some issues... I'm a Toyota lover, car fanatic in general. Never had these issues. I beat the ever living hell out of my 08 Eclipse, and my 94 Miata. Neither have had this sort of issue. (The eclipse was unbelievably tolerant of my young and dumb...) I have been good to this car, and it's spent nearly 6 months in the shop. Am I frustrated? Yes. I want something in return for buying a brand new car, (separated from the military,) and going broke nearly to keep it, and it being unreliable. The times they've had to decide the warranty, have been 2 week periods of me not being able to work. It's just a little insane. I mean, my reg expired on this last 3 month stint... Like wth. Got it back. CEL. took it back the next week after a few drive cycles. Tech who put in the first replacement shimmed the lifters as if they're hydraulic. Moron. 8 valves out of spec. This is the kind of crap I can't stand. Like someone said, (sorry trying to go to bed or I'd find and quote you,) it's more how the problem is handled than what it is.... Bill penney (2nd dealer) has been way way way better. Still... while I had a rental, windshield cracked. There's $500. First bearing replacement they still blamed on me. a grand. Not to mention significantly shorter hours since I didn't have transportation during that time, and far less income. Oh, and 6 months of car registration- $250. Not to mention the HOURS spent waiting at the dealer, on the phone with Toyota, and the gut wrenching warranty fights! Oh, did I mention among other things, motor mounts on the first replacement MISSING the bolts when I drove it away!? Just unacceptable. On top of the crap taillights. (fixed thankfully from this forum, after I replaced with valentis at that) And CONTINUAL HPFP problems. It's just not ok. The entire reason I traded in my Eclipse was I was worried about mechanical issues. On that car, in the next year, timing (V6 FWD FML...,) brakes all around (was planning on evo brembos, big heavy fat cars,) Tires within 10k, ANOTHER trans rebuild, after a $2200 clutch job. (Guy was a complete idiot who did the clutch, I was overseas, mom picked a random indy, I suspected a bent input shaft.)

Even after all that... I'd have kept the car if I'd known the issues I would have with the FR-S. It was still a 275hp 6 speed coupe, with a WAAY better radio, comfy seats, a sunroof, etc. Just a fun GT type car... Would then have traded that for something either 2.0t or 3.0t powered and german.
zohare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bearing, blown, failure, motor, rod