follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 11-09-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
Howardwei

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
P0134 and P0030->P0031

Hi guys,

I have a Ecutek stage 1 tune by Perrin. The following are my mods:
-catback 2month ago
-Ecutek flash about 1 month ago or less.
I have P0134 and P0030 popped up 3 days ago. and still there now. took it to the dealer. and they said the Secondary O2 is not sending or picking up signal. I was pretty honest to them since I didnt care about warranty. I was told it has to be the Tuning by Perrin. because it happens after I flash my car. but was assured by Perrin that its definitely not the map because I flash to stock and clear codes. still there. Perrin was nice to send me another map which is the same map since i told the the subaru tech think you guys might have messed up. Codes change from P0134 and P0030 to P0031
My question is, would the tuning ever screw up your O2 sensor? By screwing up, I mean not functioning or incompatible with the tune on a programming base. I think im just going to replace my O2 sensor at this point and see if that goes away.

Thank you guys for reading!
Howardwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #2
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,342 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howardwei View Post
Hi guys,

I have a Ecutek stage 1 tune by Perrin. The following are my mods:
-catback 2month ago
-Ecutek flash about 1 month ago or less.
I have P0134 and P0030 popped up 3 days ago. and still there now. took it to the dealer. and they said the Secondary O2 is not sending or picking up signal. I was pretty honest to them since I didnt care about warranty. I was told it has to be the Tuning by Perrin. because it happens after I flash my car. but was assured by Perrin that its definitely not the map because I flash to stock and clear codes. still there. Perrin was nice to send me another map which is the same map since i told the the subaru tech think you guys might have messed up. Codes change from P0134 and P0030 to P0031
My question is, would the tuning ever screw up your O2 sensor? By screwing up, I mean not functioning or incompatible with the tune on a programming base. I think im just going to replace my O2 sensor at this point and see if that goes away.

Thank you guys for reading!

Yes, a tune CAN foul your O2 sensors. No, I do not believe Perrin's tune was the reason it got damaged.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #3
Circuit Motorsports

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Circuit Motorsports
First, those codes point to your front, primary O2 sensor, not the secondary sensor.

It most likely is not the O2 sensor itself, but a wiring problem or loose wiring connector. I don't believe the tune would cause this.

Check the wiring from the front o2 sensor -- trace the wires -- check all connections and make sure they are tight.

Have someone with automotive electrical wiring experience and tools check voltage and resistance.

Good luck in your troubleshooting!
Circuit Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #4
Howardwei

CODE/ O2 sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports View Post
First, those codes point to your front, primary O2 sensor, not the secondary sensor.

It most likely is not the O2 sensor itself, but a wiring problem or loose wiring connector. I don't believe the tune would cause this.

Check the wiring from the front o2 sensor -- trace the wires -- check all connections and make sure they are tight.

Have someone with automotive electrical wiring experience and tools check voltage and resistance.

Good luck in your troubleshooting!
Hi Thank you all for helping! I appreciate it. I was told by the subaru Tech that it was rear and after calling couple shops they reassure me that it was the front. The guy at Subaru also told me that it was not the wiring either when he checked it out. I am never going back to the dealer anymore...I told them to order the front and the rear to see whichever one would work out. However, it seems like the wiring is the issue here you said? I didnt think of that because installing catback does not evern require touching the header.
The Following User Says Thank You to Howardwei For This Useful Post:
Circuit Motorsports (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
Howardwei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
Yes, a tune CAN foul your O2 sensors. No, I do not believe Perrin's tune was the reason it got damaged.
My friend has a S2k. and he bought some foulers to space out the sensor a bit so the light goes away. However, For BRZ/FRS both of sensors are in the headers right? I assume that wouldnt really make it work. With regard to the tuning. I was told that the tuning should not have affected it since a stock tune up does not require touching that part of the car according to perrin. So I am with you on that. The thing is that the tech at subaru does not even know it is the front one that is broken. they ordered the rear one for me
Old 11-12-2013, 12:33 AM   #6
Circuit Motorsports

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Circuit Motorsports
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howardwei View Post
However, it seems like the wiring is the issue here you said? I didnt think of that because installing catback does not evern require touching the header.
The wiring may or may not be what is wrong, but in my experience wiring/loose connectors have been the problem more often than the o2 sensor itself, especially on a lower millage car or relatively new o2 sensor. I've seen folks replace the o2 sensor with a new one only to get the CEL code again right away.

You should not need any spacers/anti-foulers for your sensors! With the cat-back exhaust, you have not touched or affected either o2 sensor.

It most likely will boil down to either wiring/electrical connector, or the o2 sensor just went bad for some unknown reason. I was suggesting you check the wiring and connectors before spending the money on a new o2 sensor.

Again, best wishes in your troubleshooting. Let us know what you find.

-- Bob
Circuit Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:37 PM   #7
Howardwei

Solution

Turn out my BRZ happen to have a malfunction A/F sensor. all i had was a catback and tune. the mechanic at subaru was trying to tell me it cant be the sensor. Thought he did a diagnose on my car but according to the local performance shop the diagnose took him like about an hour, not to mention the time you need to wait for the car to cool down before you can do anything. So basically the "Austin subaru"'s service department was trying to gip me. The sales person was great. he helped me out by reaching out to the service even though he has nothing at stake. The service saw my catback right after he plugged in the scanner and was like nope your warranty is voided. he thinks the oxygen sensor was bad because of my catback, and i was told he was one of their top notch mechanic even though the sensors were both in the header.
Never going back again.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:39 PM   #8
CowboyCuban

Drives: 2013 FRS - 10 Series - Ignition
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I was an Austin Subaru customer for 10 years. The next time you get a question there, ask for Billy. He's their head mechanic, actually won top Subaru mechanic in the US, and has been to Japan for further study. He's phenomenal. They like to hide him from customers due to him being overly "honest" with the customers, and not following the corporate line on what's best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
CowboyCuban is offline   Reply With Quote