follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote! 367 74.59%
I don't know, but its time for a new name. 125 25.41%
Voters: 492. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 04:49 PM   #2913
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Drives: 2016 Toyota FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
I wouldn't define it as brute force imo. It's simply a different engineering/design approach. I don't think it's fair to discount it's capabilities based on it's size.
It's an absolutely capable car, but it's virtually impossible to not see an improvement from shedding weight for any car, right? I don't think the Camaro has to be as big and as heavy as it is, and most of the reason that it is that way is to maintain some semblence of the big American muscle look. It's not necessary (see 4th generation), but it does tug on people's nostalgic heartstrings, and I'm sure they'll keep it up as long as it keeps people buying them....or when Ford finally ventures away from retro style completely with the Mustang, and then GM will react and play catch-up like they always do.

Anyway, like you said, they basically found a way to engineer around the current situation, and it definitely deserves kudos, especially when you look at things like the 1LE. But imagine if the Camaro could do what the top Lotus Evora currently does, putting down over 400hp and just barely scraping in under 3000 lbs. It couldn't help but be that much better of a performer in every way if it could get close to figures like that.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:49 PM   #2914
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
I'm figuring he means more about size than it being a floaty, sloppy mess. Camaros have learned to become sports cars and not just muscle cars ever since they came back (been a fan of them and Firebirds about as long as I've been alive), but they are pretty massive. They've gone on a diet, thank goodness, but they're still around 3700lbs at the heaviest. That's not light, but 450hp helps with that, and the vehicle just isn't small in size. If you could make the SS weigh as much as the 4-cylinder model does, it would be that much better handling, but still have a pretty big footprint.
When you have active suspension, or sorted suspension.... bigger tire contact patch, big brakes, big hp etc.... weight doesn't seem like as much of a factor. Obviously it is, but they've found workarounds and the Camaro is a fantastic drivers car.
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 04:52 PM   #2915
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
It's an absolutely capable car, but it's virtually impossible to not see an improvement from shedding weight for any car, right? I don't think the Camaro has to be as big and as heavy as it is, and most of the reason that it is that way is to maintain some semblence of the big American muscle look. It's not necessary (see 4th generation), but it does tug on people's nostalgic heartstrings, and I'm sure they'll keep it up as long as it keeps people buying them....or when Ford finally ventures away from retro style completely with the Mustang, and then GM will react and play catch-up like they always do.
What are you even talking about? The Camaro isn't big because GM wanted it to look like a boat, it's big because the chassis literally came from a luxury sedan. Obviously lighter is better, but that would also increase the price. The Camaro is a relatively attainable car with near supercar performance.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to funwheeldrive For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-19-2018), Summerwolf (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 04:52 PM   #2916
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Drives: 2016 Toyota FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
When you have active suspension, or sorted suspension.... bigger tire contact patch, big brakes, big hp etc.... weight doesn't seem like as much of a factor. Obviously it is, but they've found workarounds and the Camaro is a fantastic drivers car.
I think we're both saying the same thing in different words, lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to Overdrive For This Useful Post:
TorontoNat (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 04:58 PM   #2917
TorontoNat

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Asphalt [Gray]
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
You refute the claim, but you didn't list any cars that you thought deserve the title more. The car is big, but the magnetic suspension is no gimmick. The Camaro outperforms cars on the track that cost three times as much. It's no slouch, that's for sure.
Fair. It's not. I'm not saying it's not top ten or even top three handles under 50K BUT As always "better handling" is very subjective. But for now and for relevance sake I will put up our cars as "better handling".

Too many factors... 4C is also around that price I think (could be wrong might be more) and tha'ts mid engine.. hard to beat. Also does that 50K allow used? I guaranty you a lotus would be up for that challenge.

let's not forget Miatas. (dont hurt me)

Either way.. I want to test drive one now.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:17 PM   #2918
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
I think we're both saying the same thing in different words, lol.
I was kind of agreeing with you / adding commentary.
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
Overdrive (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 05:35 PM   #2919
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoNat View Post
Fair. It's not. I'm not saying it's not top ten or even top three handles under 50K BUT As always "better handling" is very subjective. But for now and for relevance sake I will put up our cars as "better handling".

Too many factors... 4C is also around that price I think (could be wrong might be more) and tha'ts mid engine.. hard to beat. Also does that 50K allow used? I guaranty you a lotus would be up for that challenge.

let's not forget Miatas. (dont hurt me)

Either way.. I want to test drive one now.
The 4C starts at 55k and it's going to be discontinued after this year. Only the spider version will be sold which starts out at 65k. I don't think compared new/used is very fair when it comes to bang for your buck. The miata seems like fun, but out of the box bodyroll seems to be a gripe for many.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:22 PM   #2920
Horrid_Funk

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Our fake vents and intakes are "removable" too, doesn't make them not fake. And explain what you could possibly do with a door vent?

You could also easily cut holes in things to make vents and intakes. Does that mean every panel is just a vent waiting to be removed?
The way it's written makes it seem like it's intentionally made to be removed, and only specifically refers to one vent below the headlights. I'm assuming that's for brake ducting. My understanding is that the rest are only covered on this prototype car, that they'll be open on the production vehicle. Again, that's my understanding from reading that article. Maybe give it a read and see if I'm misunderstanding.

Door vent: 'Tada told us will help with brake cooling, and "maybe downforce too."'
Old 07-18-2018, 06:28 PM   #2921
bkharmony

Drives: 2017 86GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
The miata seems like fun, but out of the box bodyroll seems to be a gripe for many.
I haven't been in one for many years, so it's hard to compare to my 86 now, but I find it funny how every MX-5 review or comparison to the 86 calls it "good body roll."

I guess it's like "good cholesterol." Still, I don't want even good body roll in my sports coupe.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:42 PM   #2922
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRDuHzNgwXs[/ame]
Old 07-18-2018, 06:54 PM   #2923
Horrid_Funk

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ PP
All the vents are functional, straight from the horse's mouth (Tada-San). Honestly, I was pretty turned off by the fake vents, I don't like car design that incorporates fake "function" (e.g. exhaust cutouts, vents, giant grilles). But they're not even fake! I'm definitely more excited about this car now. If they eventually make a manual trim and it's as fun to drive as the 86 I'm going to be hard pressed to find a reason to not get one.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:16 PM   #2924
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Sky View Post
If there is no manual...I guess I ll stick with my poor FRS >.<
There's nothing "poor" about your FR-S. If the replacement rvoll is foaming about appears I'll send him a bent shitcan lid to match his personality.

There is nothing wrong, at all, with them. Tada hit the nail he was aiming for dead-on. It's not his fault half the people that bought them seem to be buffoons.
The Following User Says Thank You to PetrolioBenzina For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 07:40 PM   #2925
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Two different cars, two different price points and marketing targets. The 86 is the entry level car the Supra will be the next level.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stevesnj For This Useful Post:
Adam_L (07-19-2018), Overdrive (07-18-2018), Tcoat (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 07:48 PM   #2926
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
N Information from Toyota employees has been widely inconsistent and illogical.
The engineer speaking about the car supplies illogical information?

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete

Closed Thread

Tags
bmwforsuckers, boring-zzzzzzzzzzzzz, brz, celica supra confirmed, frs, ft-1, hatch-y +1, morethanucanaffordpal, nomanualnogo, supra, toyota, twins, watstheretailon1ofthose