follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 06-10-2022, 09:08 AM   #491
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
The Gen 2 Exhaust Thread

I’m really struggling to see where to go with exhaust for this car. Stock is too quiet for sure, but I don’t want a loud exhaust either. Volume wise I’m looking for close to a stock 350Z, that would be perfect. I’m also concerned about the rear bumper parachuting so I want a full size muffler with dual tips.

AWE looks amazing until I found out the touring is 96dB loud. Explains why it sounds really good lol.

Speaking of HKS Legamax, it ticks all the boxes but it only comes with Ti tips, which look stupid on a red car. Greddy’s new axleback is the same deal.

CSG’s touring86 exhaust looks good but I’ve read it’s really quiet with stock everything else, also not wild about the single wall tips.

Last gen Greddy SP is a contender, ticks all the boxes for me. Full size angled muffler for aero, double wall tips, not too quiet/loud

Last edited by Yoshoobaroo; 06-10-2022 at 09:31 AM.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 09:50 AM   #492
LRNAD90

Drives: X5 35d, D90, CX-5 Turbo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
Last gen Greddy SP is a contender, ticks all the boxes for me. Full size angled muffler for aero, double wall tips, not too quiet/loud
Given what I have heard of clips around the web/board and your stated goals, this seems like the most logical choice, but i don't know that I have heard it on a Gen 2 yet..
LRNAD90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LRNAD90 For This Useful Post:
Yoshoobaroo (06-10-2022)
Old 06-10-2022, 10:14 AM   #493
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,455 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The Greddy SP seems like the right choice for you.

The CSG tips are swappable, tips online are cheap. I also dislike the single wall tips a LOT in theory, but in practice they look fine.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DocWalt For This Useful Post:
Yoshoobaroo (06-10-2022)
Old 06-10-2022, 10:44 AM   #494
Stonehorsw

Drives: 18 Brz (Sold) / 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I’m really struggling to see where to go with exhaust for this car. Stock is too quiet for sure, but I don’t want a loud exhaust either. Volume wise I’m looking for close to a stock 350Z, that would be perfect. I’m also concerned about the rear bumper parachuting so I want a full size muffler with dual tips.

AWE looks amazing until I found out the touring is 96dB loud. Explains why it sounds really good lol.

Speaking of HKS Legamax, it ticks all the boxes but it only comes with Ti tips, which look stupid on a red car. Greddy’s new axleback is the same deal.

CSG’s touring86 exhaust looks good but I’ve read it’s really quiet with stock everything else, also not wild about the single wall tips.

Would Verus (to be released) diffuser solve the parachuting effect?
Stonehorsw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stonehorsw For This Useful Post:
mike2100 (06-11-2022), Yoshoobaroo (06-10-2022)
Old 06-10-2022, 10:45 AM   #495
Stonehorsw

Drives: 18 Brz (Sold) / 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My problem with changing my the exhaust is the cold start, it is already annoyingly bad (not only loud, but the sound quality is terrible).
Stonehorsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 10:57 AM   #496
DocWalt

Thanked 1,455 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Honestly, with the CSG Touring the cold start sounds "fine" and IMO better than it sounded with stock exhaust. I think it sounds better than stock with any catback even if it's louder, the stock exhaust is super tinny sounding.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 12:15 PM   #497
joemysterio

Drives: Mini
Quote:

Ooh no is it really??? Was this from the other thread? Not surprised because it did sound loud-ish on video. Now I'm wondering if I should cancel my order, being in CA that's 1 dB above what's legally allowed. I'm definitely not interested in getting the attention of law enforcement. I may be in my mid 30's but I'm already too old for that shit lol
joemysterio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 01:04 PM   #498
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,114 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRNAD90 View Post
Given what I have heard of clips around the web/board and your stated goals, this seems like the most logical choice, but i don't know that I have heard it on a Gen 2 yet..
I've had a few locals with gen2s reach out to buy my SP.
Hoping to make a deal, if so I'll try to follow up and sound clips or something as part of the sale
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RToyo86 For This Useful Post:
Yoshoobaroo (06-10-2022)
Old 06-10-2022, 02:13 PM   #499
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
I also dislike the single wall tips a LOT in theory, but in practice they look fine.
I also dislike them in theory, but more so visually they don’t work for me, too much “black hole” effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
I've had a few locals with gen2s reach out to buy my SP.

Hoping to make a deal, if so I'll try to follow up and sound clips or something as part of the sale
That would be awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRNAD90 View Post
@ has one, how about a video man?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemysterio View Post
Ooh no is it really??? Was this from the other thread? Not surprised because it did sound loud-ish on video. Now I'm wondering if I should cancel my order, being in CA that's 1 dB above what's legally allowed. I'm definitely not interested in getting the attention of law enforcement. I may be in my mid 30's but I'm already too old for that shit lol
Yea AWE shared their SAE measurement. 96dB is roughly twice as loud to human ears than 86-88, which is where most street focused catbacks hang around. Unfortunate because it’s really good looking and the tone is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehorsw View Post
Would Verus (to be released) diffuser solve the parachuting effect?

Probably, but it’s probably more hassle than I want to deal with honestly.
Old 06-10-2022, 04:54 PM   #500
AK2112

Drives: 22 BRZ
Quote:
Yeah, I don't want loud either... I'm leaning Borla.

AK2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AK2112 For This Useful Post:
Yoshoobaroo (06-10-2022)
Old 06-10-2022, 05:13 PM   #501
kimcheetos

Drives: 2022 BRZ
My AWE Touring catback came in today. Not going to have time to install it for a couple weeks but very excited
Attached Images

kimcheetos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 06:11 PM   #502
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK2112 View Post
Yeah, I don't want loud either... I'm leaning Borla.

I can’t get myself to spend money on Borla with the kind of quality they offer:

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...&postcount=429
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
PBR (06-10-2022)
Old 06-10-2022, 11:12 PM   #503
eyeballs

Quote:

I was having the same issue, and was leaning heavily toward the greddy supreme. Then I heard a vid with an EL header plus CSG touring under heavy throttle which made it an easy decision, as a header/tune is part of the plan. In retrospect, I think perhaps I should have went with a catted/non-resonated front pipe instead of catted & resonated.
eyeballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 03:17 AM   #504
mike2100

Drives: 23 BRZ
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:

What about the STI muffler? I really like the tips on that one. Maintains aero. Reports are there's no drone.
mike2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mike2100 For This Useful Post:
Yoshoobaroo (06-11-2022)