follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 03-21-2014, 04:44 AM   #1
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
new to OFT, can someone explain?

I am brand new to tuning as I only had a plug and play Unichip before which you could just download the map for your specific tune combination and that's it. I bought an OFT for future FI plans but I am incredibly confused and don't want to blow my car up.

Since I have an Injen intake and catback exhaust I am assuming I would just run a stage 1 91/93 octane map but what am I supposed to look for in terms of how well the map is running and what do I do to make adjustments? I've read terms like MAF scaling and whatnot for intakes so would like some clarification if possible =/. Also my girlfriend won a free K&N drop in filter so would it just be better to revert back to stock and put that in?

Side questions, if I want to try out an e85 map, am I supposed to empty the tank and siphon out the remaining unleaded gasoline before switching back and forth or can it have 1 or 2 gallons left? Also for recent purchases will I need to update map (or firmware?) to 1.58+?

It should arrive next week so getting ready
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:30 AM   #2
Grip Ronin
The Mechanic

Drives: Civic Turbo,FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by l0aded View Post
I am brand new to tuning as I only had a plug and play Unichip before which you could just download the map for your specific tune combination and that's it. I bought an OFT for future FI plans but I am incredibly confused and don't want to blow my car up.

Since I have an Injen intake and catback exhaust I am assuming I would just run a stage 1 91/93 octane map but what am I supposed to look for in terms of how well the map is running and what do I do to make adjustments? I've read terms like MAF scaling and whatnot for intakes so would like some clarification if possible =/. Also my girlfriend won a free K&N drop in filter so would it just be better to revert back to stock and put that in?

Side questions, if I want to try out an e85 map, am I supposed to empty the tank and siphon out the remaining unleaded gasoline before switching back and forth or can it have 1 or 2 gallons left? Also for recent purchases will I need to update map (or firmware?) to 1.58+?

ya you would run a stage 1 unless you have a header. adjustments are made through romraider or tuner pro. personally tunerpro is easier to understand. im not sure on the gains from a aem intake but if the intake tube is the same diameter and similar distance from the tb, the scaling should be fine. datalog and check it
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grip Ronin For This Useful Post:
l0aded (03-21-2014), Nasty Sausage (03-22-2014), Shiv@Openflash (03-21-2014)
Old 03-21-2014, 10:19 AM   #3
Tbor

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

From what I read, you just run your car down until your gas light comes on and drive a little further than fill up with e85. Then flash to stage 2, el e85.

and i dont think you need to update to 1.58, as there was no mapping changes done. only update to support more ecu's.
Tbor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tbor For This Useful Post:
l0aded (03-21-2014)
Old 03-21-2014, 05:03 PM   #4
l0aded
Addicted

Garage
Cool thanks guys.
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
Old 03-21-2014, 09:08 PM   #5
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbor View Post
From what I read, you just run your car down until your gas light comes on and drive a little further than fill up with e85. Then flash to stage 2, el e85.

and i dont think you need to update to 1.58, as there was no mapping changes done. only update to support more ecu's.
@l0aded

Quote:
Cool thanks guys.
As you have injen intake it would be worth checking your AFR & fuel trims ect on petrol first to see if its wildy out before you run E85.

As you have no flex fuel sensor, shiv's tunes rely on fuel trims to compensate for E% difference. If your MAF is wildy off due intake your fuel trims will already be high this may upset things on E85.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Tbor (03-21-2014)
Old 03-22-2014, 03:15 AM   #6
l0aded
Addicted

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
@l0aded

As you have injen intake it would be worth checking your AFR & fuel trims ect on petrol first to see if its wildy out before you run E85.

As you have no flex fuel sensor, shiv's tunes rely on fuel trims to compensate for E% difference. If your MAF is wildy off due intake your fuel trims will already be high this may upset things on E85.
Can you elaborate on the AFR and fuel trims? Should it be 14.7 all the time or is there a range or some kind of guide you can point me to?
Old 03-22-2014, 04:11 AM   #7
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Can you elaborate on the AFR and fuel trims? Should it be 14.7 all the time or is there a range or some kind of guide you can point me to?
best to log afr fuel trims rpm load knock ect and post up log for shiv to have a look at

couple of 3fd gear 2000 to 7000 runs usually good shiv generally targets mid to high 11 for afr on petrol at wot trims less than about 4%
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:25 PM   #8
Createddeleted

Drives: 2014 BRZ - 2004 GLI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
I bought an OFT for future FI plans but I am incredibly confused and don't want to blow my car up.
That said, if you don't know how to tune take it to some one who does. (Especially for forced induction)

If not, I recommend taking a class, seminar, or reading until your eyes bleed.

http://www.megamanual.com/v22manual/mtune.htm - look at this site to see some of what you'll have to understand.

If you don't know what your doing, don't screw with the tune. It would be horrible to have to rebuild a motor for one wrong change.
Createddeleted is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Createddeleted For This Useful Post:
l0aded (03-23-2014), Nasty Sausage (03-22-2014)