follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 03-23-2021, 03:49 PM   #1
Shazzam121

Drives: 2014 Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Steve's Track-Ready Daily FR-S

I figured, since I'm looking at putting a number of Weird Parts on my FR-S, I may as well start a build log for it. Here's the car as it sits today, mostly stock:

So far I've just done a Pioneer head unit install, with an iDataLink Maestro RR that gets me OBD2 data in the radio. The Maestro was originally installed using the OBD plug, but I relocated it to the Option Connector a couple weeks back and can confirm it works nearly fine -- I lost TPMS, but that never really worked anyway. Shrug.

In the next couple days, it's going in for a full transmission job. I got tired of the cold-weather grind here in upstate NY, so I'm doing pretty much everything that's ever been suggested to fix it:
- Perrin Engine Mount
- Perrin Trans Mount
- Perrin Shift Bushing
- Whiteline Trans Bushing
- ACT Clutch
- Synchrotech Carbon Synchros
- Verus Clutch Fork
- Verus Clutch Pivot
After that, it's finally time for some real traction. I have a set of 17x8 +40 Konig Dekagrams on order, wrapped in Michelin Pilot Sport 4Ses. I'll keep this thread updates with thoughts on the driveline parts, and the new shoes, once they're all installed.

After that, the mod list has everything from coilovers to cosmetics to a slightly-smaller-than-factory-but-not-enough-to-remove-the-airbag steering wheel. More mods, and more photos, to come.
Shazzam121 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shazzam121 For This Useful Post:
BrahmaBull1990 (03-26-2021)
Old 04-02-2021, 09:51 AM   #2
Shazzam121

Well, bad transmission news. The shop finally got a chance to tear it down, and 3rd and 4th are totally shot. 6th isn't in great shape either, and 2nd and 5th were already replaced back when I had a factory warranty. Take it from me: if you're thinking about doing carbon synchros, don't wait. Driving two winters on gears that wouldn't mesh hasn't done me any favors here.

Now, working with the shop on two options. I can do a partial rebuild with new Toyota parts, or order in a used transmission. If I can make the costs work, I'd prefer to avoid a used trans -- there's no guarantee it'd be in any better shape than mine, and I could end up right back here again in six months.

I was hoping to be able to provide a comprehensive guide on how to fix synchro issues and gear grind, but now it's looking like I won't have exactly an apples to apples comparison to give you all. I'll still discuss the changes made by any of my parts that still can be installed (clutch, mounts, etc.) but even if I can still get carbon synchros done I won't be able to compare them on the same gear set.
Old 04-02-2021, 09:57 AM   #3
pope
has a funny hat

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Mazworx CD009 swap is $4999 for a nearly indestructible transmission. Although used transmissions are only a couple hundred, so even replacing it twice a year will take years to add up.
pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:03 AM   #4
Shazzam121

Quote:
Originally Posted by pope View Post
Mazworx CD009 swap is $4999 for a nearly indestructible transmission. Although used transmissions are only a couple hundred, so even replacing it twice a year will take years to add up.
Honestly, the CD009 was one of the first things that passed through my head. If I was doing this repair on a higher budget, that's probably what I'd go with. Or, if we're talking a "won the lottery" budget, maybe a Hollinger
Old 04-02-2021, 10:15 AM   #5
pope
has a funny hat

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I just figured I’d mention it since it could be better investment versus a rebuild (depending on the extent of the rebuild and overall cost).
pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 12:27 PM   #6
Shazzam121

So, final word from the shop is in: a rebuild is about a $400 premium above a 24,000-mile used transmission. Because I hate my bank account, I'm doing it. I'll still be able to talk about the difference carbon synchros make in the gearbox, and can review the ACT clutch and Perrin mounts (spoiler alert: had them on a previous Subie, they're great).

Looking forward to a month of ramen, but hopefully this should make for a near-perfect FR-S transmission
Old 04-09-2021, 01:05 PM   #7
Shazzam121

Welp, Konig's entire inventory seems backordered until approximately the Rapture. So, we're getting real creative with my second-choice wheel:

Enkei RPF1s in an 18x8 +35 running 225/40-18 Pilot Sport 4S tires. My 56.1 to 73.1 hub centric rings I got for the Konigs still fit here, and the center caps should arrive over the weekend.

I know, a stock FR-S on silver RPF1s. Never seen that before, right?
Old 04-09-2021, 09:31 PM   #8
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,452 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazzam121 View Post
Welp, Konig's entire inventory seems backordered until approximately the Rapture. So, we're getting real creative with my second-choice wheel:

Enkei RPF1s in an 18x8 +35 running 225/40-18 Pilot Sport 4S tires. My 56.1 to 73.1 hub centric rings I got for the Konigs still fit here, and the center caps should arrive over the weekend.

I know, a stock FR-S on silver RPF1s. Never seen that before, right?
Don't break what's not broken
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 10:56 PM   #9
Shazzam121

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
Don't break what's not broken
They really are objectively the best wheel for the money. Lowest weight, most strength, most fitment options.
Old 04-10-2021, 04:14 PM   #10
Jasper

Drives: 2023 GR86
Loving the bumper chips. Shows it's being driven, and driven hard like it should be.
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 05:00 PM   #11
Shazzam121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
Loving the bumper chips. Shows it's being driven, and driven hard like it should be.

It’s absolutely no show car. I did give in and fill a paint chip on the fender to prevent rust, but that’s... let’s say not show car quality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2021, 05:08 PM   #12
Jasper

Drives: 2023 GR86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazzam121 View Post
It’s absolutely no show car. I did give in and fill a paint chip on the fender to prevent rust, but that’s... let’s say not show car quality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jay Leno would call that patina.
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:06 AM   #13
Shazzam121

Home again, garden grove

She's back home! Engine mounts are in, transmission is rebuilt, carbon synchros and Whiteline bushings and ACT clutches oh my.

The difference with these mounts is incredible. Each detonation of the engine comes through the pedals, the seat, and the steering wheel. The car feels more eager, it wants to rev out, though of course I won't let it until the clutch has some more mileage. It's stiffer and louder, but it's by no means unmanageable. And it's worth it for the shifter feel -- no slop, it's now fully bolt-action precise.

The clutch, the ACT HDSS, is grippy without being unmanageable. It's the absolute lightest flywheel I would want in this car -- maybe more torque would make their Prolite flywheel manageable, but as it is the Streetlite is right on the edge of Too Light. Unfortunately, there isn't a ton of feel through the clutch pedal. Pedal effort is similar to stock, but it's a completely numb experience. I'm seeing an MTEC clutch spring in my future.

As for the synchros, I drove it home from the shop on a warm day -- it'll be a while before it gets cold enough out here to be sure they're really helping. The shifting action did feel more mechanical than stock, and no gear even threatened to grind, but that may also just be the result of short shifting on a gorgeous day.

Next up, she goes in to a different shop for oil, diff fluid, brake fluid, pads and rotors, and getting the TPMS activated on the new wheels. I'll follow up with my thoughts on the Carbotech 1521 pads on Centric plain rotors. How am I gonna bed them in when I can't rev the engine out? We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.
Old 04-22-2021, 11:46 AM   #14
Shazzam121

It may be too cold out to test the limits of the new Pilot Sport 4Ses, but at least they look good. One thing I can test, though, is the new brake setup: the Carbotech 1521 is my new favorite pad. I haven't even had a chance to bed them in yet, but the stopping power is leagues better than my old Stoptech pads. Initial bite isn't great compared to my mental benchmark (Focus RS Brembos) but I've got a Grimmspeed master cylinder brace sitting on my kitchen counter ready to address that.

The clutch is still breaking in, but it's already confirming my belief that nothing lighter than ACT's Streetlite flywheel should end up on a street car. It'll get better as it breaks in, but hill starts with low torque, a lightweight flywheel, and a laggy electronic throttle are... interesting.

Next mod: seat time! Once the last of the snow melts up here, it's HPDE season.