follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 12-29-2020, 02:24 AM   #1
Plumbus
Señor Member

Drives: '17 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Camber adjustment using strut body bolts

As an aside to my top hat thread, my HKS max iv SP front coilover struts come with a slightly eccentric (or slotted/oval) shaped top hole for the knuckle bolts. This means I can pivot the strut around the bottom bolt, which has a round hole, and tune camber this way.

The strut body is currently set away from the car, reducing negative camber and alleviating the angle of the top sway bar link and keeping it at a somewhat safe distance from the frame. My question is, assuming I don't want to max out camber using both methods, which position is best for the strut body using the slotted hole? Which would you max first?

Plumbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 03:30 AM   #2
Racenut

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
On mine, I wasn't going to get the negative camber I wanted unless I pushed it in at the hub. But I have a different brand of coilover so maybe that's not the case for you. Which way gives you the best range of adjustment with the top hats?

Also, I wish mine was as clean as yours lol. The only thing shiny under my wheel wells is the new parts.
Racenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 09:34 AM   #3
marco_mc22

Drives: Toyota 86
If you don’t need other adjustments and keep the top plate in stock SAI/camber position I would keep the knuckle outside, less camber but less positive scrub radius, anyway this should not hurt as much as SAI does, then you can also turn the top plate 45 degrees and adjust both camber and caster, this should balance better the increased SAI with better scrub.
On mine with both methods maxed out I’ve got - 3 degrees of camber and +7 of castor but with kw slotted hole and adjustable links.
marco_mc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 11:25 AM   #4
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Is your wheel turned in that picture? That sway bar end link is at a ridiculous angle if it isn't.

This platform is not really sensitive to SAI changes, we have had this argument on the forum a lot over the years. Here is a thread detailing it.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48107
Old 12-29-2020, 01:36 PM   #5
marco_mc22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Is your wheel turned in that picture? That sway bar end link is at a ridiculous angle if it isn't.

This platform is not really sensitive to SAI changes, we have had this argument on the forum a lot over the years. Here is a thread detailing it.

Very nice topic, I honestly thought increased SAI has way more effect from other McPherson platforms, anyway increased Caster seems to be very beneficial so I think if you can achieve your camber spec with the plates turned is still better than the standard position right?
Old 12-29-2020, 01:55 PM   #6
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco_mc22 View Post
Very nice topic, I honestly thought increased SAI has way more effect from other McPherson platforms, anyway increased Caster seems to be very beneficial so I think if you can achieve your camber spec with the plates turned is still better than the standard position right?
I did too for a long time too.

I don't know how much of an issue it is in the newer cars, but on the older cars like mine you can overheat the electric power steering. Increased caster is harder on the EPS. So you may want to experiment with it but with more caster you may run into a limit on what the EPS will handle.
Ultramaroon (12-29-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 02:00 PM   #7
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,890 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Caster seems to be very beneficial so I think if you can achieve your camber spec with the plates turned is still better than the standard position right?
You can't rotate the camber plates 45 degrees, you have to rotate 60 degrees. Maybe not the end of the world, but ties your camber adjustment to caster adjustment where you might want them independent. These cars are usually a little asymmetric, so you might be stuck between having even caster left/right, or even camber, but not both...

I think big caster is hugely overrated. I've never been a fan of it since the days of driving my home-brew supension-modded 240Z unbeknownst to me put me at less than 3 degrees caster, and I loved it! Then I was stuck with more than 8 degrees with my 987.2 Cayman and I hated it...
I got the Raceseng cascam (caster/camber) plates, but found that they are designed so that the *minimum* end of the caster range is about stock or 6.5 degrees (though I'd have preferred 5.5). Which is fine w/ me except that one time the shop instead set them to *max* caster...

THe couple of things caster does for you *sound* good: More camber with steering angle, and some corner-jacking with steering angle acting to unload the outside front. Both these effects should give more front-end grip. But the balance will change depending on how fast the corner is, and you may get unwanted geometry change while sawing at the wheel at the limit. Because with more caster you have more changes in camber and weight-jacking with more steering angle.

If I *specifically* wanted more front-end bite at the lowest-speed corner and maybe less for the higher-speed corners, I *might* address that with more caster.

But personally I've never liked the feel of a lot of caster. Feels like artificial weighting to me, that corrupts feel at the steering wheel. My impression anyway...
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 02:13 PM   #8
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Max bolts, fine tune with camber plates.
I like to keep the plates even so I can diy adjust as necessary away from an alignment rack so the bolts may not be fully maxed to make the camber the same l/r
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 02:29 PM   #9
marco_mc22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
You can't rotate the camber plates 45 degrees, you have to rotate 60 degrees. Maybe not the end of the world, but ties your camber adjustment to caster adjustment where you might want them independent. These cars are usually a little asymmetric, so you might be stuck between having even caster left/right, or even camber, but not both...

I think big caster is hugely overrated. I've never been a fan of it since the days of driving my home-brew supension-modded 240Z unbeknownst to me put me at less than 3 degrees caster, and I loved it! Then I was stuck with more than 8 degrees with my 987.2 Cayman and I hated it...
I got the Raceseng cascam (caster/camber) plates, but found that they are designed so that the *minimum* end of the caster range is about stock or 6.5 degrees (though I'd have preferred 5.5). Which is fine w/ me except that one time the shop instead set them to *max* caster...

THe couple of things caster does for you *sound* good: More camber with steering angle, and some corner-jacking with steering angle acting to unload the outside front. Both these effects should give more front-end grip. But the balance will change depending on how fast the corner is, and you may get unwanted geometry change while sawing at the wheel at the limit. Because with more caster you have more changes in camber and weight-jacking with more steering angle.

If I *specifically* wanted more front-end bite at the lowest-speed corner and maybe less for the higher-speed corners, I *might* address that with more caster.

But personally I've never liked the feel of a lot of caster. Feels like artificial weighting to me, that corrupts feel at the steering wheel. My impression anyway...
Yeah I mean with the plates turned 60 degrees, had mine like that and as you said camber is a little bit uneven but nothing terrible. Really appreciate your feedback though, maybe I can try the opposite, hub maxed out outside and plates maxed out inside so, lot of SAI, way less scrub and I think a little higher roll center as well, what do you think?
Old 12-29-2020, 03:14 PM   #10
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,890 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah I mean with the plates turned 60 degrees, had mine like that and as you said camber is a little bit uneven but nothing terrible. Really appreciate your feedback though, maybe I can try the opposite, hub maxed out outside and plates maxed out inside so, lot of SAI, way less scrub and I think a little higher roll center as well, what do you think?
You could *try* that, or maybe try both extremes and see how they compare? I don't have camber bolts and couldn't get much from them anyway due to stock-diameter springs and 17x9s with 245s... So all my camber is from the plates. Probably more conservative to kinda split the difference? If I had a solid opinion on this I'd share it, but I don't!
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
marco_mc22 (12-29-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 04:22 PM   #11
Plumbus
Señor Member

Drives: '17 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racenut View Post
On mine, I wasn't going to get the negative camber I wanted unless I pushed it in at the hub. But I have a different brand of coilover so maybe that's not the case for you. Which way gives you the best range of adjustment with the top hats?

Also, I wish mine was as clean as yours lol. The only thing shiny under my wheel wells is the new parts.
I believe the SP can achieve -3 on it's own. Slotted hole offers very little adjustment, but I'm still curious about the relation between the two methods.

Quote:
If you don’t need other adjustments and keep the top plate in stock SAI/camber position I would keep the knuckle outside, less camber but less positive scrub radius, anyway this should not hurt as much as SAI does, then you can also turn the top plate 45 degrees and adjust both camber and caster, this should balance better the increased SAI with better scrub.
On mine with both methods maxed out I’ve got - 3 degrees of camber and +7 of castor but with kw slotted hole and adjustable links.
Not really interested in turning top plate around for caster adjustability. The slotted hole on the HKS is not super huge, you can probably get .5 degree adjustability at most. probably used for fine tuning more than maximizing camber I imagine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post

Yes it is turned to the right. Not sure if the included end links will be good after I lower to 1.3" from stock...

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Max bolts, fine tune with camber plates.
I like to keep the plates even so I can diy adjust as necessary away from an alignment rack so the bolts may not be fully maxed to make the camber the same l/r
If I understand correctly, you told your alignment guy to set camber plates even and then fine tune with slotted hole so you can adjust the camber plates later without need for alignment? That sounds perfect, I may ask my alignment guy for the same. Hopefully the difference in SAI/scrub is not too bad between L/R with the slotted holes adjusted. I'm curious, why do you suggest the opposite of what you do though?
Plumbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 06:03 PM   #12
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbus View Post
I'm curious, why do you suggest the opposite of what you do though?
I didn't. potay-toe potah-toe same effect, camber bolts are maxed evenly with camber plates even as opposed to camber bolts maxed unevenly with uneven camber plates to compensate.
sai/whatever, odds are your aftermarket suspension has looser tolerances then the oe knuckle/chassis and adjusting the bolts evenly should get you well within margin of error and the biggest change you'll see is uneven caster because the top mounts are kinda cheap.

Last edited by strat61caster; 12-29-2020 at 06:13 PM.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 01:03 AM   #13
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Dude I'm 50% certain you put your front coils on the wrong side. Your endlink should not look like that, be that slanted. Mine are perfectly vertical.
Old 12-30-2020, 02:46 AM   #14
Racenut

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaXx View Post
Dude I'm 50% certain you put your front coils on the wrong side. Your endlink should not look like that, be that slanted. Mine are perfectly vertical.
Yeah it looks wrong but I think the steering is just turned to the right. Seems odd they would decide to tie the sway bar to a steering part, but that's what they did.
Racenut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adjustment, camber, hks, hole, potah toe, potay toe, slotted