follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-08-2020, 02:46 PM   #1
DoubleAKash

Drives: 2019 Subaru BRZ - JDL Turbo Kit
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exhaust change on the BRZ build

Hi All,

I'm thinking about changing my exhuast and front pipe on the BRZ

Currently running an N2 Invidia Catback with a catted Invidia front pipe (full build as of right now)

As much as I love the aggressive tone, it drones like crazy at 3k RPM and I don't mind it much but I'm thinking of swapping it out to the stock front pipe again and a Perrin 2.5" resonated exhaust and selling the invidia stuff

What are some of the thoughts on a quieter exhaust but also brings out the sound of an UEL

P.S. some other goodies coming --> wider tires, some aero, upgraded clutch and Edelbrock supercharger
DoubleAKash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 03:17 PM   #2
Vital

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Stock front pipe will quiet it down and should help with the drone too or you could try the HKS dual resonated front pipe.
Vital is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vital For This Useful Post:
DoubleAKash (06-09-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 03:34 PM   #3
BigTuna

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I have a perrin catback with stock everything else and love it. I also had a header at one point and it wasn't too droney. The muffler that the Perrin has really does a lot for the drone/rasp.
Old 06-08-2020, 03:40 PM   #4
brzt

Drives: Subaru 2014 BRZ
I am in the same exact situation as you man. I got the N2, love the aggressive tone, but there is a drone around 2.5k-3k.

I did the HKS dual resonated front pipe route, it reduced the drone a little bit and gave it a throaty sound? Not deeper. It's not that much louder than stock front pipe.

The other "improvement" I did was add 80 mil Noico sound deadening mats to the trunk floor, and some on the rear seat backs. Another reduction in drone.

IMO it has gotten better. The drone still exists, but only when you're going uphill and even then it has been reduced.

I've been thinking about going to a quieter exhaust, but $$$$$$

Also, I've had this exhaust for a little under 3 weeks with not much driving. Some say that the drone gets better after you break it in? I'm not so sure about that, but we'll see.

Let me know which set up you do
brzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 04:16 PM   #5
Joveen

Drives: Bone stock
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
You should have gotten the jdl ultra quiet front pipe (catted and resonated) for $400. You paying almost $500 on a catted invidia front pipe was a big oops. If you want to save money and hassle just go on amazon and buy vibrant resonator a put it in the invidia pipe making it an "ultra quiet" that should take the drone away. Or replace the resonator on the N2 catback.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Joveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 01:40 AM   #6
DoubleAKash

Drives: 2019 Subaru BRZ - JDL Turbo Kit
Quote:
Originally Posted by brzt View Post
I am in the same exact situation as you man. I got the N2, love the aggressive tone, but there is a drone around 2.5k-3k.

I did the HKS dual resonated front pipe route, it reduced the drone a little bit and gave it a throaty sound? Not deeper. It's not that much louder than stock front pipe.

The other "improvement" I did was add 80 mil Noico sound deadening mats to the trunk floor, and some on the rear seat backs. Another reduction in drone.

IMO it has gotten better. The drone still exists, but only when you're going uphill and even then it has been reduced.

I've been thinking about going to a quieter exhaust, but $$$$$$

Also, I've had this exhaust for a little under 3 weeks with not much driving. Some say that the drone gets better after you break it in? I'm not so sure about that, but we'll see.

Let me know which set up you do
mhmm I did think about the sound damping mats and yeah the exhaust does get a little more tamed after you break it in which is why it doesn't bother me too much. When I first got it, it was super loud but then got a bit quieter. Mainly thinking about swapping it out due to the fact that if I want to track one day some tracks have different decibel level requirements. However for daily driving I've learned to monitor my throttle response and counter act it especially if you drive the speed limit haha or somewhere around it at least
DoubleAKash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 03:06 AM   #7
brzt

Drives: Subaru 2014 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleAKash View Post
mhmm I did think about the sound damping mats and yeah the exhaust does get a little more tamed after you break it in which is why it doesn't bother me too much. When I first got it, it was super loud but then got a bit quieter. Mainly thinking about swapping it out due to the fact that if I want to track one day some tracks have different decibel level requirements. However for daily driving I've learned to monitor my throttle response and counter act it especially if you drive the speed limit haha or somewhere around it at least
Yeah, that's true. The Perrin will surely meet those requirements!
brzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 03:21 AM   #8
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ SOLD
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I tried sound deadening the trunk area it helps with road noise not so much exhaust noise. lol Just grab a Perrin 2.5 CB no drone,no rasp and easy to live with.
PulsarBeeerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:48 AM   #9
Breadman

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/PP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joveen View Post
You should have gotten the jdl ultra quiet front pipe (catted and resonated) for $400. You paying almost $500 on a catted invidia front pipe was a big oops. If you want to save money and hassle just go on amazon and buy vibrant resonator a put it in the invidia pipe making it an "ultra quiet" that should take the drone away. Or replace the resonator on the N2 catback.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

i just ordered the ultra quiet yesterday because i didnt realize how rowdy my car was. i hope it really tones it down over the plm
Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Breadman For This Useful Post:
Joveen (06-09-2020)