follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 04-18-2017, 07:25 AM   #71
xkalelx

Drives: 2013 BRZ black
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Needs photo link fixes from April 5, 2016 and back. Sweet build man.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:48 AM   #72
Enalband24

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
So, it's been a while, I still have the car, but we've been through a bit of changes. I'll seriously update the thread soon.

But, as a quick update, a piston in the original built engine melted, had Prime Motoring build and drop in a OF closed deck shortblock.

Got the car back last August, and ended up melting part of a HG the next month. Figures.

No worries though, Prime has been awesome and is all over it.

So the car is currently out having the HG repaired, and, while it's out there, we're dropping in a few more goodies.

New PT6466 turbo, CD000A Nismo transmission modified by Mazworx, Exedy triple disc clutch, replacing current return style fuel system with entire Radium system (Fuel pump hanger, return system, etc.), Motec ECU, updated Al intake manifold, ID1700 injectors, and lastly, dropping in some piper cams.

Hoping this is the end all be all for this car, but probably not.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:36 PM   #73
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,012 Times in 1,456 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enalband24 View Post
So, it's been a while, I still have the car, but we've been through a bit of changes. I'll seriously update the thread soon.

But, as a quick update, a piston in the original built engine melted, had Prime Motoring build and drop in a OF closed deck shortblock.

Got the car back last August, and ended up melting part of a HG the next month. Figures.

So the car is currently out having the HG repaired, and, while it's out there, we're dropping in a few more goodies.

New PT6466 turbo, CD000A Nismo transmission modified by Mazworx, Exedy triple disc clutch, replacing current return style fuel system with entire Radium system (Fuel pump hanger, return system, etc.), Motec ECU, updated Al intake manifold, ID1700 injectors, and lastly, dropping in some piper cams.

Damn that cost you a pretty penny...

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 01:19 AM   #74
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:

Why switch from the V161 to the CD000A?
Old 01-21-2020, 01:41 AM   #75
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:

How many miles / power on the element block, do you know cause for failure?
What made you switch from them to prime?
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 12:05 PM   #76
Enalband24

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
Damn that cost you a pretty penny...

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
Yes....Yes it has...
Old 02-03-2020, 12:17 PM   #77
Enalband24

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Why switch from the V161 to the CD000A?
Many reasons...main one being availability of parts for the V161. They are non-existent at this point. The CD000A are all over and brand new only cost me $1750 versus $7000 for a brand new v161.

Also, the set up for the CD000A is much more desirable...Mazworx does a great job of modifying it to mate directly to the FA20...no adapter plates. Shifter tucks right up into OEM position (had to do a lot of cutting to fit v161 shifter linkage inside car above tunnel...awful). Also, CD000A fits in the tunnel a bit easier, not too much modification. Just need to weld in the trans mounts/brackets. Lastly, without too much trouble, was able to source readily available OEM quality clutch parts through Exedy that mate with both the FA20 engine, and Nissan transmission. They have a "Builder's Series" product line that allows you to mix and match for just this reason.

The V161 limited me to custom clutches which just sucks. You're limited to one brand and its expensive as hell. Honestly too, when I had this clutch in with the V161, the chatter was so god dang loud I couldn't even keep a convo with the passenger next to me.

So that's just a few things off the top of my head...but I'm excited to get it back with the CD000A. I can't believe how long the stock trans was lasting...I was running E85-98 the majority of the time. So this time we'll be able to push the car with no worries of it grenading. Should be fun.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:34 PM   #78
Enalband24

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
How many miles / power on the element block, do you know cause for failure?
What made you switch from them to prime?
Off the top of my head, mileage was between 10 - 20K (I know, pretty exact, right? lol) I could find the exact mileage, but I'm lazy, the data is buried someone in the garage among all my stuff, sorry.

Not sure what happened exactly. Tune was solid from Mike at Moto-East. Was a hard redline pull in July on the HGWY, and Boom! Piston melted, lost all compression in one cylinder. After Prime tore down the engine, we did find some interesting stuff (I can PM you more if you're interested), but the main related funky stuff we found was that the DI on the cylinder that went was not injecting properly once the engine was put back together. Ended up swapping that injector and the entire wiring harness. Solved the issue. Wondering if that cylinder was seeing higher temps due to lack of fuel in the cylinder. Who knows though.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Now, why I went to Prime instead of back to Element. Honestly, one guy, Phil Weindorf. I worked with him while he worked at Moto-East before switching to Prime. Good guy, real honest, knows his shit. He has personally taken care of me and the car through everything, answered any questions I've had night and day. Kept me updated through every part of the build. He is the ideal guy you hope to do business with on an expensive project like this. Also, Prime as a business has the resources to produce some amazing *quality* builds. Demetri the owner has done a great job building that business. I have nothing but good things to say about them.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:55 PM   #79
Xero-Limit

Drives: JDL Turbo FRS, 335SC BRZ (ret)
Thanked 1,547 Times in 525 Posts
Mentioned: 380 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Off the top of my head, mileage was between 10 - 20K (I know, pretty exact, right? lol) I could find the exact mileage, but I'm lazy, the data is buried someone in the garage among all my stuff, sorry.

Not sure what happened exactly. Tune was solid from Mike at Moto-East. Was a hard redline pull in July on the HGWY, and Boom! Piston melted, lost all compression in one cylinder. After Prime tore down the engine, we did find some interesting stuff (I can PM you more if you're interested), but the main related funky stuff we found was that the DI on the cylinder that went was not injecting properly once the engine was put back together. Ended up swapping that injector and the entire wiring harness. Solved the issue. Wondering if that cylinder was seeing higher temps due to lack of fuel in the cylinder. Who knows though.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Now, why I went to Prime instead of back to Element. Honestly, one guy, Phil Weindorf. I worked with him while he worked at Moto-East before switching to Prime. Good guy, real honest, knows his shit. He has personally taken care of me and the car through everything, answered any questions I've had night and day. Kept me updated through every part of the build. He is the ideal guy you hope to do business with on an expensive project like this. Also, Prime as a business has the resources to produce some amazing *quality* builds. Demetri the owner has done a great job building that business. I have nothing but good things to say about them.
Glad you're still at this thing, always wondered what happened with the car. Phil and Demetri will take good care of the motor for you there. Those DI failures are always worrisome, I like to send them out for flow testing, and even then you can never be sure. It is one of the main reasons to always tune on the rich side, though if it is bad enough, it still won't help. Sounds like that might have been the case here. Can't wait to see it when its done though.
Xero-Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Xero-Limit For This Useful Post:
Enalband24 (04-24-2020)

Tags
#firstbuild, #firstsubaru, #moretocome, fbmboosted