follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 04-10-2017, 01:37 PM   #2157
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatAsianBradah View Post
How much do I really gain from those? Any owner feedback and reliable statistic utilizing a full exhaust system with EL Headers and DeliciousTune on 91/92/93 fuel would be appreciated!

I'm looking to reach 290/300whp + 220/230lb*ft, but not surpass that threshold.

If you guys do recommend an OPDO, to go with an Ace 421 EL Header, which do you go for that wouldn't necessarily break the bank?
From what I've gathered, you get the most gains with a header. ACE seems to be good, but to me, it sounds too ridiculously loud for a DD. I had a JDL catted UEL, Nameless OP/DP and Milltek cat back. Ended up taking the headers out because I'm a grown ass man and dyno'd at 285hp/216 lb-ft, what ever that means (because dyno's without a baseline are meaningless).
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
ThatAsianBradah (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 01:55 PM   #2158
BigFatFlip

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBDGriptonia View Post
-Looking back, would you do it again? What would you do differently at first? Buy D Box, D Tune, custom tune, anscillary mods like headers, etc.
-How has engine reliability been and what's your mileage with the kit? anyone experience the dreaded P0016-0019 codes? In other words, any cam issues?
-Does anyone in the SF Bay area know a current installer in the south bay (closer to south west - I'm in Santa Cruz and we have no tuners over here. a few performance shops)
-Need to increase wheel width or just stickier tires alright? I like the stockers and want to keep them if i can.
-Yes, I would do it all over again. I probably would have skipped the JDL header and D-box. The header was too loud for DD and the D-box did work and smoothed things out but I'd say its more of a "nice to have" than need.
-RE engine reliability: Engine (well really, the whole system w/ the SC) has been dead nuts reliable. The car took me to work and my daughter to school everyday all while doing canyons and trackday duty on the weekends. Only issues I've had were CELs related to the coils (due to heat, which happens on NA cars anyway) and some weird electrical CEL that got fixed with a lot of jiggling (and never came back).
-RE local installer, I'd highly recommend Neal @The Racers Line, but he wears flip flops, so there's that...j/k
-RE wheels/tires, I'd say its unnecessary. Power is very predictable so its not like its gonna spin out on you when you sneeze. I drove around with the stockers for DD and would go up to 225 Michelin PSS for weekend drives and track days. About the only time I had problems with the stock is during rainy days when going on on ramps. Just feed the throttle and don't mash on it. I never understood why people would go with such wide tires on this car. It ruins the feel and with the added power, you can now actually steer with the throttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBDGriptonia View Post
Thanks! Concord isn't too far. Any ideas on installation cost and timeline? Am i looking at a few days or a few hours?
I can't speak for Neal @The Racers Line but it took him about 8 hrs to install mine, which was the first one he's done, so probably even less than that. You'll have to contact him for a quote on cost.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
BBDGriptonia (04-10-2017), funwheeldrive (04-12-2017), ThatAsianBradah (04-10-2017), The Racers Line (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 02:09 PM   #2159
CounterSpace Garage

Drives: Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 Experts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
From what I've gathered, you get the most gains with a header. ACE seems to be good, but to me, it sounds too ridiculously loud for a DD. I had a JDL catted UEL, Nameless OP/DP and Milltek cat back. Ended up taking the headers out because I'm a grown ass man and dyno'd at 285hp/216 lb-ft, what ever that means (because dyno's without a baseline are meaningless).
You'll be thoroughly surprised with the CSG Touring86 Exhaust & ACE Laguna90 Exhaust systems when paired with a header like the ACE and a catless, non-resonated front pipe. Your numbers look great at the wheels!
CounterSpace Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CounterSpace Garage For This Useful Post:
Silverfox (04-12-2017), ThatAsianBradah (04-10-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 11:16 AM   #2160
PR138

Drives: '14 WRB BRZ | '17 CB STi
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I've been going back and forth between this SC and the JRSC C38 so much lately my head's spinning. My main worry about this setup is that there doesn't seem to be a tried and true method of oil cooling without having to rig up a bunch of heat shielding between the intake and radiator.

Does anyone know if the PTuning (or any other) laminar oil cooler type setups would fit - and if so, would they be sufficient to keep oil temps down on the track?

http://www.ptuning.com/subdir/itemde...&ModelDesc=BRZ
PR138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:44 AM   #2161
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,481 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR138 View Post
I've been going back and forth between this SC and the JRSC C38 so much lately my head's spinning. My main worry about this setup is that there doesn't seem to be a tried and true method of oil cooling without having to rig up a bunch of heat shielding between the intake and radiator.

Does anyone know if the PTuning (or any other) laminar oil cooler type setups would fit - and if so, would they be sufficient to keep oil temps down on the track?
idk if this is exactly what you're looking for but I saw this yesterday and I think it'd be my default choice when I go FI, I bet CSG posts something by the end of the day about it, but as someone who's car is a 90% DD for the foreseeable future, this thing looks damn near plug and play, set it and forget it.

http://counterspacegarage.com/blog/p...-installation/
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
whataboutbob (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 12:10 PM   #2162
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,675 Times in 995 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Is there any news about this system being offered for the 2017 cars? On the Edelbrock website it states 2012-15 FRS/BRZ. I would like to do it by the book to have the 3 year warranty so I don't wanna go ahead and fit it to the MY17 without Edelbrock's blessing. Y'all heard anything? Thanks
StraightOuttaCanadaEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:22 PM   #2163
PR138

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
idk if this is exactly what you're looking for but I saw this yesterday and I think it'd be my default choice when I go FI, I bet CSG posts something by the end of the day about it, but as someone who's car is a 90% DD for the foreseeable future, this thing looks damn near plug and play, set it and forget it.

http://counterspacegarage.com/blog/p...-installation/
This is actually what I was referring to when I said it would require extra heat shielding. A while back in this thread, it was shown that this setup increased IATs well above where they should be due to the thickness of the radiator. When that person wrapped their intake area up and sealed the area between the radiator and air filter, the temps came down a good bit. I do think this is closest to what I'd consider a plug and play type setup - but it does require more than just installing as-is with the E-force SC.

I'm looking to avoid having to go crazy on tape and shielding if possible, which is why the laminar types looked appealing if they fit (and if they lower oil temps on track enough to be worthwhile).
The Following User Says Thank You to PR138 For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 12:41 PM   #2164
BigFatFlip

Quote:
I've been going back and forth between this SC and the JRSC C38 so much lately my head's spinning. My main worry about this setup is that there doesn't seem to be a tried and true method of oil cooling without having to rig up a bunch of heat shielding between the intake and radiator.]
What exactly are you planning for the car? Hot track days or DD? Unfortunately, there aren't very many options out there. There's the side mounted options like the JDL (not sure if that will work, but same idea) or "bottom" mount like the Harrop kit.

I ended up piecing a kit together and locating it on the driver side.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...postcount=1187

I say if you plan on tracking a lot, I would go with the JRSC since its a more "complete" solution since an oil cooler kit is readily available, has been tried and tested and is guaranteed to fit.

As a DD, I don't think an oil cooler is necessary. I mostly DD my car and I actually had to block off/disconnect mine since I'm usually over cooling the oil (just as bad, if not worse for the engine).

Quote:

Not sure about the Ptuning kit, but I know there have been a couple of folks running the Forester OEM oil cooler. Not sure how well it does on the track but I bet it works great for DD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
I've also strongly considered the JR oil cooler as an option, just that I already had parts in hand and didn't want to bother trying to sell it. I know @Firesnake had one on his and had some minor issues? Something about the excess heat affecting the IATs?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
PR138 (04-12-2017), strat61caster (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 01:27 PM   #2165
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,675 Times in 995 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
Is there any news about this system being offered for the 2017 cars? On the Edelbrock website it states 2012-15 FRS/BRZ. I would like to do it by the book to have the 3 year warranty so I don't wanna go ahead and fit it to the MY17 without Edelbrock's blessing. Y'all heard anything? Thanks
To answer my own question, I called Edelbrock and they said due to the intake being different on the MY17, officially you can't use the existing kit and have the 3 year warranty. I asked them if there's one in the pipeline and they said yes.
StraightOuttaCanadaEh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StraightOuttaCanadaEh For This Useful Post:
BigFatFlip (04-12-2017), Dadhawk (04-12-2017), ThatAsianBradah (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 02:11 PM   #2166
Silverfox

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ, Edelbrock SC, E-85
Quote:

Jackson racing dual radiator / oil cooler fits perfectly with the Edelbrock. I have not tracked it yet, but have had a few extended canyon runs and it worked great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silverfox For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (04-12-2017), whataboutbob (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 02:13 PM   #2167
ThatAsianBradah

Drives: Toyota 86 2017 TRD Modded
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
To answer my own question, I called Edelbrock and they said due to the intake being different on the MY17, officially you can't use the existing kit and have the 3 year warranty. I asked them if there's one in the pipeline and they said yes.
That's if you have the MT 2017. The Intake Manifold is upgraded on that model, but the AT 2017 is the same as the previous year models.

It would definitely be good to have EB finish R&D on the 17+ models utilizing the new intake soon. There's more and more GT86 buyers coming across nowadays!
Old 04-12-2017, 02:16 PM   #2168
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,481 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
@PR138 and @BigFatFlip
Found what you guys were referencing, it wasn't @Firesnake, but rather @Tomcat07 experiencing the significantly increased IAT and did a bunch of work to insulate the intake. Maybe more data will come in and it's not as bad as what Tom experienced, but being in California my car will see temperatures as high if not higher a few times per year (and autox is a nightmare for heat soak), being forced to drive around that would be a bit of a downer.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...postcount=1296
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...postcount=1299
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...postcount=1494
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...postcount=1613

Like PR138 I've been going back and forth between the two, luckily I'm patient and won't commit for a few years at least. Everything about the Edelbrock sounds fantastic except the niggling low rpm hiccups and cooling, thought this might have solved the cooling issue at least. The JRSC will lose out in low end grunt in exchange for everything else being bang on and the small chance that the rotrex unit goes bad.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
BigFatFlip (04-12-2017), PR138 (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 02:19 PM   #2169
PR138

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
What exactly are you planning for the car? Hot track days or DD? Unfortunately, there aren't very many options out there. I know @Firesnake had one on his and had some minor issues? Something about the excess heat affecting the IATs?
It is a DD first and foremost, but it will see 10+ autocross sessions a summer, along with 2-3 HPDEs at my local track. So I would consider it as needing a track-type setup for oil cooling. I'm currently leaning towards the C38 JRSC setup for the reasons you listed - proven setup with their own oil cooling designed to go with it. However, the extra low/mid range torque of this type of blower is calling my name. I don't know if I can resist the extra torque in a daily driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox View Post
Jackson racing dual radiator / oil cooler fits perfectly with the Edelbrock. I have not tracked it yet, but have had a few extended canyon runs and it worked great.
Have you been able to compare IATs before/after the radiator install by any chance? I'm wondering if the other poster was a one time occurrence, or if this combo does increase IATs without extra modification.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:37 PM   #2170
CounterSpace Garage

Drives: Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 Experts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quote:
It is a DD first and foremost, but it will see 10+ autocross sessions a summer, along with 2-3 HPDEs at my local track. So I would consider it as needing a track-type setup for oil cooling. I'm currently leaning towards the C38 JRSC setup for the reasons you listed - proven setup with their own oil cooling designed to go with it. However, the extra low/mid range torque of this type of blower is calling my name. I don't know if I can resist the extra torque in a daily driver.

Have you been able to compare IATs before/after the radiator install by any chance? I'm wondering if the other poster was a one time occurrence, or if this combo does increase IATs without extra modification.
Whether you have the Edelbrock kit or not, you still need to make sure the radiator is shrouded properly even from the factory for optimal cooling and separation from the airbox. Some cars we worked on have had the foam torn out from debris and from other shops working on them.

To put it bluntly, yes, we do have extensive experience with the Edelbrock kit with various options installed. That's the CSG PR answer.
CounterSpace Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CounterSpace Garage For This Useful Post:
PR138 (04-12-2017), Silverfox (04-12-2017), whataboutbob (04-12-2017)