follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 03-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #57
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If they're not racing 10/10th's then to me, it's not racing even if what they're doing looks like racing. I don't want to watch a scripted "show", I want to watch racing.

And Lee Diffy can kick rocks. There are few voices in this world that make me want to club a baby seal and his is one of them.
Panda Grahams (03-26-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #58
Panda Grahams

Drives: '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I guess I'm the only one who actually likes Vettel...
Panda Grahams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:59 PM   #59
raphy

Drives: whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
it would be great if they really start hating each other and we get a prost vs senna situation. that would make things very interesting.
raphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:21 PM   #60
Panda Grahams

Drives: '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I grew up watching Senna and I see a lot of similarities between him and Vettel. I love their attitudes towards racing and against the politics behind it all. I know a lot of F1 would not exist without the politics, but I want to watch a race. It can be self-defeating to race against your own team, but drivers, to me, are independent because of their different skill sets. It's a confusing subject because drivers are put on teams to get the best combination of skills to benefit the team through cooperation, but the driver who deserves the win, deserves the win. I think the Malaysian Grand Prix was a great example of this. Both Mercedes and Red Bull had their teams as far as they could get them. At this point, the drivers had helped their team as much as they could and the better driver should be able to use his skill set to claim the position he deserves. Yes, it can be self-defeating and can lose the race for the team, but it's a race and there are risks. I think the podium reflected the two sides of this situation quite well. Vettel and Weber had the best two spots in the race, but were obviously at arms with each other. Whereas, Hamilton felt bad for claiming third when Rosberg was the faster driver during that race. I gained a lot of respect for Hamilton that night. Anyways... just my two cents.
Panda Grahams is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Panda Grahams For This Useful Post:
UPSed (04-04-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #61
R_E_L
He's got this.

Drives: 50th Anni BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Grahams View Post
I guess I'm the only one who actually likes Vettel...
Not at all. While I like watching drivers like Lewis, Kimi and Alonso do there thing I find myself secretly rooting for Vettel. Probably because of the historical significance of having another dominant driver, or maybe because I like how Red Bull has come up and really taken it to the big boys. But I don't want him too dominant, I want to see everyone battling 'til the end of the season.

Still I think he can be immature at times and even be a bit of a whiner, but like with all my favorite athletes, I have a great respect for his dedication and focus. People put a lot of emphasis on the car but it doesn't get to the end of the race on autopilot. For me Lewis is the fastest flat out driver, Alonso the most well rounded and Vettel the most focused (being able to get that crucial fast lap at the end of qualifying). But out of all of them, I think the only one who could've maybe done what Vettel did in the same car would possibly be Alonso. Vettel deserves to be where he is whether people like to admit it or not.
Panda Grahams (03-26-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 07:54 PM   #62
cfusionpm

Drives: Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Grahams View Post
I grew up watching Senna and I see a lot of similarities between him and Vettel. I love their attitudes towards racing and against the politics behind it all. I know a lot of F1 would not exist without the politics, but I want to watch a race. It can be self-defeating to race against your own team, but drivers, to me, are independent because of their different skill sets.
Except "officially" Vettel apologized for what he did and acted like he was remorseful (which of course, he wasn't). If he were really like Senna, he would have said "I passed him because I'm faster than him. If he wanted the spot bad enough, if he wanted to earn it, he should have fought for it like I did." Senna himself is famously quoted saying: "By being a racing driver means you are racing with other people. And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver because we are competing, we are competing to win."

Vettel disobeyed team orders, put himself and his teammate at risk of collision, and needs to get an attitude check. I'm all for watching a battle, but that wasn't a battle. Will Buxton put it perfectly in his piece:

"If we use a boxing analogy, it isn’t as simple as Mark dropping his guard and being caught with a knock-out uppercut. What happened in Malaysia was tantamount to his rival delivering a brutal blow to the back of his head as he walked to his corner after the bell had sounded."

http://willthef1journo.wordpress.com...ling-assassin/

2013 Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
cfusionpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #63
ZetaVI
Gundam Meister

Drives: A Gundam
Thanked 1,010 Times in 510 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=N6j8JWZeMqU"]Infiniti Red Bull Racing sets new pitstop world record - GONE IN 2.05 SECONDS - YouTube[/ame]
ZetaVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:14 PM   #64
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
While we wait on things to get started in Shanghai, there's a new movie trailer out for what looks to be the first good F1 movie in a while! It's based on Niki Lauda and James Hunt's epic rivalry in the 1976 season!

[ame]http://youtu.be/s43KIRThDDc[/ame]

[ame]http://youtu.be/rUSCxxGQuZY[/ame]

Last edited by ATL BRZ; 04-08-2013 at 05:37 PM.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #65
ZetaVI
Gundam Meister

Drives: A Gundam
Thanked 1,010 Times in 510 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Rush is on my must see list. Can't wait!
ZetaVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #66
cfusionpm

Garage
Looking forward to this weekends grand prix! Let's see how RBR handles Vettel and what Alonso can do if he doesn't crash. The merecedes, ferrari and ted bull cars will all be at each other's throats on the track!

Old 04-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #67
ap5512

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Can't wait for the weekend...should be a good race!
ap5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #68
cfusionpm

Garage
Hamilton will start on pole with a good margin over the very close Raikkonen and Alonso starting 2nd and 3rd on the grid. Vettel with a gamble on tires that may pay off in the race, did NOT pay off in quali, since he starts way back in 9th, and will be on the harder of the two tires to begin with. His teammate Webber got DQ'd from Q3 due to a fuel problem in Q2. Wah wah. Conspiracy theories will rise for sure.

Looks like the front rows are all Mercedes, Lotus, and Ferrari. Good luck to all of them. Keep Vettel in the back, help Webber fall off entirely, and teach that team what humility and maturity is about.

The only team I genuinely feel bad for is the abysmally bad McLaren team. From having arguably the best car last year to being out-scored by Force India for pete's sake! Shame they couldn't get their act together, but best of luck to Hamilton at his new home!

Old 04-14-2013, 06:53 AM   #69
Jaqub Jackson

Drives: Honda Civic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I am a big fan of Formula 1 vehicles and always love to watch its races. I am very sorry to say that I can not watch F1 practice by the Austin. You are lucky to have visit there. Good luck.
Jaqub Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:50 PM   #70
so26

Drives: Raven FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfusionpm View Post
The only team I genuinely feel bad for is the abysmally bad McLaren team. From having arguably the best car last year to being out-scored by Force India for pete's sake!
They need a top driver again and there are none available. I believe kimi does not have a contract for next year but i highly doubt he'd ever go back there. Maybe kubica will be ready for next year.
so26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no mikey nooo, supersupermaxmax, waawaaalewis