follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 06-23-2020, 04:45 PM   #3599
Pgh_Area

Drives: '14 Ultramarine Fr-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
So I have a silly request. Been researching how to increase the Edelbrock SC whine on for the BRZ. Not that putting 340 ponies to the wheels isn't enough... I just want to warn the Mustang GT gang that im not stock as to give them a chance to not embarrass themselves whilst riding their girlfriends. Ive read that our intakes may be reducing the sound or that alternate pulleys my be a way to increase the noise.

Not looking to pipe the sound into the cabin with a tube. Just something you can hear from the car next to you. 8)
Slap a S/C'd emblem on the slide. This thing doesn't whine like a centrifugal charger does.
Pgh_Area is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 05:32 PM   #3600
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Drives: 2014 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
As promised, here's the list of materials I used and some of my notes.

Also, since I had to order more than I needed, I have enough to make 4 more blocks with nipples. If anyone is interested, I'll make it for you (first come first served), just cover the cost of materials (roughly $10) and shipping. Just send me a PM. I've already cleared this with @ichitaka05 .

1"x2"x12" Nylon block: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 $38.13 + tax and shipping (if link is broke, search for Nylon 6/6 Rectangular Bar, Opaque Black, Standard Tolerance, UL 94V2, 1" Thickness, 2" Width, 1' Length)

Nylon NPT nipples (pack of 10): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 $5.84 + tax and shipping (if link is broke, search for Eldon James A4-4BN Black Nylon Adapter Fitting, 1/4-18 NPT to 1/4" Hose Barb (Pack of 10))

TMAP Sensor: https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/bo...st+sensor,5705 $27.79 + tax and shipping (if link is broke, search for BOSCH 0261230042 Turbocharger Boost Sensor)

TMAP extension Harness: https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Way-Pin-B...53.m2749.l2649 4 inch harness $9.99 + tax and shipping, 20 inch harness $24.99. First order they sent the wrong harness (3 pin) second order they sent me a 20 inch even though I ordered the 4 inch. (if link is broke, search for 4 Way Pin Bosch BSK MAP MAF Sensor Harness Male & Female Extension)

TMAP pigtail Harness: https://www.ebay.com/itm/T-Map-Senso...53.m2749.l2649 $8.99 + tax and shipping (if link is broke, search for T-Map Sensor Pigtail Harness Connector For Polaris RZR 570 900 1000 2015-2019)

Notes:
TMAP sensor fits into a 12mm dia hole, runner wall thickness there is 1/2"
TMAP probe length is 7/8" long so 3/8" of the sensor is inside the runner which how much of the sensor tip is open to air flow.

15/32 is .46875
12mm is .472441
difference .00369

1/4 NTP threaded hole requires 7/16 pilot hole
Attached Images

Last edited by BirdTRD; 03-13-2021 at 07:31 AM. Reason: added descriptions for broken links
BirdTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BirdTRD For This Useful Post:
AKITA (07-03-2020), BR-ZED (06-23-2020), devtec (08-18-2020), shr133 (08-18-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 09:31 PM   #3601
BR-ZED

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh_Area View Post
I ran into a similar problem doing the clutch line relocation. You will need to bleed the clutch if you reservoir is empty. Do it before you install the S/C. You could use a vacuum pump, but IMHO having someone pump the clutch and giving you feedback is better.
I would definitely turn the clutch line in the direction the the manual states.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdTRD View Post
As long as the hose isn't kinked or stressed the way you have it, it will be fine. Honestly, I don't think it would cause any service issues the way it's shown in the Edelbrock install (directly in line with the bleeder valve). To bleed it, you would attach a hose to it and just be cracking the valve open and closed during the process and probably never touch it again.
Was more concerned with the clearance in two ways:
1. Clearance with the supercharger unit
2. Cleararance for a wrench to loosen the bleeder when the supercharger is installed

2 doesn't matter if you can't bleed the clutch with the SC installed.

Finally talked to Tony tonight, he wasn't sure about clearance for #1, but recommended going by the book. For #2 he wasn't sure, but thought you could still access it with the SC installed. Anyone have a pic of the clearance of the SC and bleeder valve?
BR-ZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:44 PM   #3602
Z06ZN6

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Quote:
So I have a silly request. Been researching how to increase the Edelbrock SC whine on for the BRZ. Not that putting 340 ponies to the wheels isn't enough... I just want to warn the Mustang GT gang that im not stock as to give them a chance to not embarrass themselves whilst riding their girlfriends. Ive read that our intakes may be reducing the sound or that alternate pulleys my be a way to increase the noise.

Not looking to pipe the sound into the cabin with a tube. Just something you can hear from the car next to you. 8)
Lol. Be careful because the embarrassment can go both ways. A few mods on the GT (or frankly many cars these days) and you'll likely be the one who is embarrassed when you boast how modified you are, that you no longer are the underdog, yet you still lose to a stock or other mildly modded car. Sincerly, I mean no offense at all to you as I can certainly understand a desire for a little blower noise, but having been there and done that with many cars(big blowers, big cams, ridiculous exhaust, etc) it gets old fast. Besides, what bigger embarrassement is there than dragging some loser across the street with his girlfriend in the car? There is no winner there. When he wrecks, you go to jail too. These are just my opinions, those of a decrepit, half-dead, mid-40s geezer who did his fair share of shenanigans when he was young. Enjoy the fact that the stock 86 is the underdog when racing anything faster than a Yugo so when you lose, its the expected result and when you win, the grin is a lot more rewarding because they have no idea why they lost to what should have been a stupid slow car.

Anyhow, did you try contacting the appropriate division of Eaton yet? I find going directly to the source is often where I get the best info.
Z06ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:49 PM   #3603
Z06ZN6

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Quote:
Slap a S/C'd emblem on the slide. This thing doesn't whine like a centrifugal charger does.
Doesn't even have a visual or audible indicator like a big intercooler hanging off the the front bumper or a blow off valve. The LTR looks like an AC condensor. Most think the car is NA with annoyingly loud muffler.
Z06ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 10:09 PM   #3604
Pgh_Area

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR-ZED View Post
Was more concerned with the clearance in two ways:
1. Clearance with the supercharger unit
2. Cleararance for a wrench to loosen the bleeder when the supercharger is installed

2 doesn't matter if you can't bleed the clutch with the SC installed.

Finally talked to Tony tonight, he wasn't sure about clearance for #1, but recommended going by the book. For #2 he wasn't sure, but thought you could still access it with the SC installed. Anyone have a pic of the clearance of the SC and bleeder valve?
I'll take a Pic after work (midnight), and post it. Everything near the firewall is going to be a rather tight fit and a PITA to reach with the charger on
The Following User Says Thank You to Pgh_Area For This Useful Post:
BR-ZED (06-23-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 12:11 AM   #3605
Pgh_Area

Garage
As you can see getting a wrench and a drain line in there... A lot easier before the S/C install
Attached Images

BR-ZED (06-24-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 02:11 AM   #3606
BR-ZED

Interesting. Thank you!!! This is awesome.

Here is another picture I found, not as good.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/atta...1&d=1562609293

If you are standing on the side of the car, the bleeder valve is at 6 o'clock. It looks like your line is at 4 oclock. Mine is at 7. It appears as though either work, as from the top it looks like the supercharger itself isn't anywhere close to the line. Would you agree?

I would actually speculate that letting it be at the 4 o'clock position like yours or at the 7 o'clock position like mine is actually better, as it leaves more room for a wrench to swing without contacting the clutch line.
Old 06-24-2020, 07:24 AM   #3607
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:

the car next to you can hear it. Source: a buddy of mine has it on his car and the driver he gapped told him he heard the whine
Old 06-24-2020, 08:20 AM   #3608
BR-ZED

Quote:

I know this isn't what you asked for, but interestingly I stumbled upon this

https://www.fosterscmods.com/e-force-kits-mustang-gt/

They make kits to pipe the sound into the cabin. Does not look like they make a kit for our car, but I'm curious if anyone has done this. I think it's a little cheesy, and the stock intake sound tube sounded like ass (I had mine plugged). But, i do appreciate the whining sound, and for my own enjoyment (don't care about what other cars can hear) I would at least consider it, as those sounds would bring a smile to my face.

The whine was the primary reason I would have gone with Sprintex, but in the end common sense prevailed as Edelbrock makes a better (and more affordable) kit.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:40 AM   #3609
Pgh_Area

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR-ZED View Post
Interesting. Thank you!!! This is awesome.

Here is another picture I found, not as good.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/atta...1&d=1562609293

If you are standing on the side of the car, the bleeder valve is at 6 o'clock. It looks like your line is at 4 oclock. Mine is at 7. It appears as though either work, as from the top it looks like the supercharger itself isn't anywhere close to the line. Would you agree?

I would actually speculate that letting it be at the 4 o'clock position like yours or at the 7 o'clock position like mine is actually better, as it leaves more room for a wrench to swing without contacting the clutch line.
If you already have the S/C on the car and don't want to remove it to bleed the line, while it will be a hassle it is possible. If you don't have the S/C on yet, bleed before you install. It'll be easier.
BR-ZED (06-24-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 01:33 PM   #3610
AKITA

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS Halo
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
If you already have the S/C on the car and don't want to remove it to bleed the line, while it will be a hassle it is possible. If you don't have the S/C on yet, bleed before you install. It'll be easier.
I got my kit couple weeks ago dropship from EB using DT so a no tune kit off the EB shelf. It came with the updated 2 bolt blow off (whew). Just finished the South Bend Stage 2 clutch install (yeah that was fun) but it is a very nice feeling clutch. So glad to get to pre flush the clutch now . I'm gonna use a DBox with stock map location.. (I really think the dbox is counter acting with the same issue the secondary map sensor box is accomplishing) Anyways here I go! Personally I don't care if the pony and gf know what I have.. He knows it when he sees me in front of him
AKITA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:16 PM   #3611
rixon

Drives: Subaru 2020 BRZ
Affirm Financing

Has anyone financed an Edelbrock purchase using Affirm? It states that the interest rate is 0% for up to 36 months but when I did a test purchase 0% is for 6 months only anything above that is credit card interest rates.

Looking to buy this kit in the future but 0% interest caught my eye.
rixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 06:12 PM   #3612
BR-ZED

Quote:
Oh. I definitely will bleed it now with the SC off.

I was more curious about
1. Can it be bled again in case I do it wrong and only notice after I drive the car, and
2. Can it still be done regularly, as needed,after the install.

Sounds like it can, which makes me relieved.

Now, to find an 8mm wrench, and maybe more brake fluid (only have 12 ounces)