follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-30-2019, 05:23 AM   #1
hatsuke

Drives: fr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Helps for exhaust setup

Hello guys. Im looking for a loud exhaust (backfire or just making noise whenever you drive) setup for my AT frs. Currently, i have tomei uel headers and invidia n1 with NO tune. And it sound like a helicopter IMO. So i am planning getting a front and over pipe. I was thinking of tomei catless overpipe and invidia catless frontpipe. And i wanna ask just how loud it is? by having a catless front & over pipe does that mean im gonna lose hp? Also, will there be a sound change if i have those pipe's? Thanks
hatsuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 06:04 AM   #2
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatsuke View Post
Currently, i have tomei uel headers and invidia n1 with NO tune. And it sound like a helicopter IMO. So i am planning getting a front and over pipe.
Why not spend the money on a tune instead?

I just rediscovered the FR-S specific section of this forum. Is this what all the posts are like here? Lol. *slowly backs away and returns to BRZ subforum*

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
chas3wba0 (05-30-2019), DaBoBo21 (05-30-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 06:16 AM   #3
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
Why not spend the money on a tune instead?

I just rediscovered the FR-S specific section of this forum. Is this what all the posts are like here? Lol. *slowly backs away and returns to BRZ subforum*
When considering the difference in number of production units the number of these requests in the FRS sub are directly proportional to the same requests in the BRZ section.
Shark_Bait88 (05-30-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 06:30 AM   #4
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,183 Times in 1,109 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Straight pipes with your UEL header will make your neighborhood want the beat you to death with large rubber dildos, especially with a "catless overpipe"..........??

Having your car backfire? Why? Is a poor tune on the list of things you want to do?

I am currently trying to get my exhaust as quite as possible without losing power, so far the OEM overpipe back exhaust is winning.

I do have a "catless overpipe" though, so there's that.......wait......wut.....

Who eats popcorn?
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
Shark_Bait88 (05-30-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 09:56 AM   #5
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Hello guys. Im looking for a loud exhaust (backfire or just making noise whenever you drive) setup for my AT frs. Currently, i have tomei uel headers and invidia n1 with NO tune. And it sound like a helicopter IMO. So i am planning getting a front and over pipe. I was thinking of tomei catless overpipe and invidia catless frontpipe. And i wanna ask just how loud it is? by having a catless front & over pipe does that mean im gonna lose hp? Also, will there be a sound change if i have those pipe's? Thanks
Just curious. Why do you want to be considered an asshole by neighbors? What makes you feel the need for all that noise? Pretend HP?
PetrolioBenzina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:10 AM   #6
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolioBenzina View Post
Just curious. Why do you want to be considered an asshole by neighbors? What makes you feel the need for all that noise? Pretend HP?
Some people want to be obnoxious and get all the attention they can, some people want to eat ass.

I am sure he has his reasons, regardless of if they are good or not.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:29 AM   #7
NARFALICIOUS

Drives: '88 Supra 1JZ, '16 FR-S, '23 GR86
Quote:
You are more likely to have the backfire with a catless front pipe, yes, but it's not guaranteed.

You will get more "bang" for your $buck so to speak, if you get a tune. Look into OFT.
Not only will you actually get your money's worth in HP gain, you can run E85 and you can at least have control over when you have the backfire tune loaded. I personally did not like it after a few weeks. Why risk your car's health for a dumb sound, which is actually inefficient. Especially when the car is slow.

The OFT tune also removes the high-RPM cold start so when you decide to go fully catless, you won't be as annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
Straight pipes with your UEL header will make your neighborhood want the beat you to death with large rubber dildos, especially with a "catless overpipe"..........??

Having your car backfire? Why? Is a poor tune on the list of things you want to do?

I am currently trying to get my exhaust as quite as possible without losing power, so far the OEM overpipe back exhaust is winning.

I do have a "catless overpipe" though, so there's that.......wait......wut.....

Who eats popcorn?
I am currently fully catless, with a loud exhaust, but the lack of high-rpm cold start + the silencer in the tip, it's actually not loud at all. Though I am planning to put a high flow front pipe on it to turn it down a bit more and I guess save the environment.

NARFALICIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:52 AM   #8
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,084 Times in 2,041 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Kill 2 birds with one stone - get a tune that has the pops built in. You'll get tired of it, and you can just have it removed from the tune, wheeeee hawww cowboy
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:42 AM   #9
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I suggest going back to an OEM exhaust configuration immediately. Your e-peen rating will instant improve, as will your status amongst your neighbors.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:17 PM   #10
Dr. BRZ

Drives: 2013 WR Blue Pearl BRZ Limited 6MT.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
WWw.youtube.com
You might not find the exact set up but you know what to expect from catless set ups.
Dr. BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 02:32 PM   #11
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,776 Times in 16,409 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Hello guys. Im looking for a loud exhaust (backfire or just making noise whenever you drive) setup for my AT frs.
Welcome to the forum, hatsuke -

Here ya go!

humfrz
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 03:03 PM   #12
OwlDance

Drives: Halo 86, '19
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Well if you're concerned about HP you're probably just doing more harm without the tune since OEM tunes are designed for maximum efficiency for OEM equipment (barring a cat/axleback)...

Going full catless is going to make your car extremely loud, louder than it is now. However you've described your car now, changing the overpipe won't do much to change the exhaust note that much either. My two cents, if it sounds bad now, removing the last cat and changing the OP won't make it sound any better.

Sounding like a broken record at this point but your car will run (or is already) like complete trash without a proper if you plan to run on a full catless setup on the OEM tune. And on that note, if you DO get a tune (OFT or Ecutek) you can get pops and bangs while actually making your car run properly. But like the others have mentioned, pops and bangs and crackles aren't good for the engine and exhaust.
OwlDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 03:09 PM   #13
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Genuinely curious as to why you need so much noise.
PetrolioBenzina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 03:16 AM   #14
hatsuke

Drives: fr-s
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
You are more likely to have the backfire with a catless front pipe, yes, but it's not guaranteed.

You will get more "bang" for your $buck so to speak, if you get a tune. Look into OFT.
Not only will you actually get your money's worth in HP gain, you can run E85 and you can at least have control over when you have the backfire tune loaded. I personally did not like it after a few weeks. Why risk your car's health for a dumb sound, which is actually inefficient. Especially when the car is slow.

The OFT tune also removes the high-RPM cold start so when you decide to go fully catless, you won't be as annoying.

I am currently fully catless, with a loud exhaust, but the lack of high-rpm cold start + the silencer in the tip, it's actually not loud at all. Though I am planning to put a high flow front pipe on it to turn it down a bit more and I guess save the environment.
Once i have the OFT tune, can i go from backfire mode to regular mode ( idk what to say but i guess something like no backfire, etc.) Thanks for this. Also, its my 1st time doing this. I guess i want to hear the sound that bad

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
hatsuke is offline   Reply With Quote