follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-14-2016, 08:28 PM   #15
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
..........................I do recall a moment of fear when a buddy was having issues with the fuses in his AMC Javelin. He said he kept blowing fuses and asked if I could take a look. Crawled up under the steering column where the box was, took one look and rapidly exited and unhooked the battery. Apparently he did not grasp the concept of what a "spent" cartridge was and there about 14 inches from his crotch was a full .22 LR round crammed into an over heating brake light circuit.
WOW! ....... THAT Bubba was just not too bright .......

What he should have done was to twist the bullet out of the shell casing with his teeth (if he had enough left to do that), dump the powder out and insert the casing. Then when the primer blew, it wouldn't hurt him and serve as a reminder to replace the fuse .......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:44 PM   #16
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justatroll View Post
Says the self declared asshole...

I thought we always got along
We do. I was just yanking your chain. You're like my Sheldon friend.

Actually, between the two of us, it'd be a toss up deciding which of us is more Sheldonesque.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:57 PM   #17
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Ultramaroon (08-14-2016)
Old 08-14-2016, 10:39 PM   #18
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
For future reference, NEVER up the amperage on a fuse because a lower (ie, the proper one) amperage fuse is blowing. Look for the fucking root of the problem.

Always assume that the light is done, and check the wiring while you're there. If you can't find the issue, take it to the dealership.

This also goes to show that you shouldn't be buying lights from pacific mall.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
justatroll (08-17-2016)
Old 08-14-2016, 10:48 PM   #19
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
For future reference, NEVER up the amperage on a fuse because a lower (ie, the proper one) amperage fuse is blowing. Look for the fucking root of the problem............

DAAAM ... @Cole ....... that's awful serious, coming from you......

Finding a short on my old MGB was easy ....... just sniff out the source of the Lucas smoke .....

So, how was your meal the other night ..... it looked good!

And the sex afterwards ..... anything different ...... ??

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:41 AM   #20
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Oh come on you two. We all know that old school automotive fuses required cigarette pack foil wrapped around them when they blew.

I do recall a moment of fear when a buddy was having issues with the fuses in his AMC Javelin. He said he kept blowing fuses and asked if I could take a look. Crawled up under the steering column where the box was, took one look and rapidly exited and unhooked the battery. Apparently he did not grasp the concept of what a "spent" cartridge was and there about 14 inches from his crotch was a full .22 LR round crammed into an over heating brake light circuit.
Darwin Award winner right there. Holy crap

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:03 PM   #21
itsAlex

Drives: 2016 4Runner / 2016 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
For future reference, NEVER up the amperage on a fuse because a lower (ie, the proper one) amperage fuse is blowing. Look for the fucking root of the problem.

Always assume that the light is done, and check the wiring while you're there. If you can't find the issue, take it to the dealership.

This also goes to show that you shouldn't be buying lights from pacific mall.
upping the amperage is my way of tracing a failing part, yea it costed me a harness but I probably wouldn't have ever checked that bulb if I didn't see any sort of damage. It may be dumb but it is what it is.

I bought the bulbs online, maybe pacific mall carries higher quality bulbs than the ones I bought, who knows lol
Old 08-17-2016, 01:30 PM   #22
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsAlex View Post
upping the amperage is my way of tracing a failing part, yea it costed me a harness but I probably wouldn't have ever checked that bulb if I didn't see any sort of damage. It may be dumb but it is what it is.

I bought the bulbs online, maybe pacific mall carries higher quality bulbs than the ones I bought, who knows lol
What I'm saying is that is NOT EVER, in a million years the proper way to trace an issue. Would you do that in your home? Fuck no. That is compromising a vital SAFETY system.

But, I mean, it's your car. If you want to burn it to the ground to find a problem, then go right ahead. I'll just sit here, laugh and say I told you so.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:53 PM   #23
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
A perfectly decent multimeter is way cheaper than a harness. Get one to which you can attach alligator clips. Connect it and be watching it when you flip the switch. If you're quick you can detect the short and shut it down before you release the Lucas smoke.

...for future reference.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:55 PM   #24
D_Thissen

Drives: '13 Argento FR-S (Sold)
Thanked 1,439 Times in 855 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Hey everyone, so last night while driving I noticed my fog lights weren't on even though the fog dash light was illuminated. I came out of the car to check the fogs and I noticed none of the parking lights were working. I checked the fuses for "TAIL" as that fuse is for the parking lights. It was blown, so I replaced it with the same fuse and it instantly blew. I tried a bigger fuse and the fuse started smoking up. I also took a look at the fog light fuses and both the left side and right side fuses were fine.

Anyone have any idea what's going on? A short or something?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
You're joking, right? If the fuse is blown at 10A, why would you try a bigger fuse? Trying to start a fire?
Old 08-17-2016, 07:56 PM   #25
billwot

Drives: '11 Cayman , '14 Camry, '11 Tacoma
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
What I'm saying is that is NOT EVER, in a million years the proper way to trace an issue. Would you do that in your home? Fuck no. That is compromising a vital SAFETY system.
billwot is offline   Reply With Quote