follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 07-21-2016, 08:59 AM   #1
itsAlex

Drives: 2016 4Runner / 2016 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
How to use fogs as daytime lights instead of high beams?

Hey everyone, I recently installed fog lamps on my FRS and I like the look of them. In fact, I like the look so much that I prefer to have my fog lights on all the time, so that's why I want them to be my daytime lights and not the high beams.

Is there any way I could change the relays or jump across relay pins etc. So that when the DRL is engaged, the fogs come on and not the high beams? My fogs are installed via OEM wiring, meaning they turn on and off in accordance with the low beams and the dash board indicator illuminates when they're on.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:33 AM   #2
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsAlex View Post
Hey everyone, I recently installed fog lamps on my FRS and I like the look of them. In fact, I like the look so much that I prefer to have my fog lights on all the time, so that's why I want them to be my daytime lights and not the high beams.

Is there any way I could change the relays or jump across relay pins etc. So that when the DRL is engaged, the fogs come on and not the high beams? My fogs are installed via OEM wiring, meaning they turn on and off in accordance with the low beams and the dash board indicator illuminates when they're on.
Easiest thing to do would wire then up independently and use a relay to engage the circuit when the ignition is in the on position. I did that for the boomerang in the Spec D headlights so they function as my DRL
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:07 AM   #3
JoeC

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Have you some how modified your wiring to make the high beams the DRLs? I bet other drivers are super annoyed by that...
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:17 AM   #4
itsAlex

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
Have you some how modified your wiring to make the high beams the DRLs? I bet other drivers are super annoyed by that...
No no, I guess you aren't aware that the high beams on the FRS has dual purposes: they act as daytime lights when the car is running and they are also the high beams. When the car is running, it sends 6V to the high beam bulbs to illuminate them at ~ half brightness. When the high beams are on, it's at 12V or more.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2016, 10:19 AM   #5
JoeC

Quote:
No no, I guess you aren't aware that the high beams on the FRS has dual purposes: they act as daytime lights when the car is running and they are also the high beams. When the car is running, it sends 6V to the high beam bulbs to illuminate them at ~ half brightness. When the high beams are on, it's at 12V or more.

so you mean low beams?
Old 07-21-2016, 10:20 AM   #6
itsAlex

Garage
Quote:
so you mean low beams?
No, low beams are separate bulbs on the FRS.

JoeC (07-21-2016)
Old 07-21-2016, 10:21 AM   #7
JoeC

Quote:
No, low beams are separate bulbs on the FRS.

weird. I definitely had no idea.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:38 AM   #8
FX86
Banned

Drives: on the wrongside of the road
Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
weird. I definitely had no idea.
yeah those bulbs you see in white in the pic below act as DRL and as high beams..the projectors to the side are our low beams

FX86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FX86 For This Useful Post:
JoeC (07-21-2016)
Old 07-21-2016, 10:46 AM   #9
FX86
Banned

Drives: on the wrongside of the road
Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

i'm not sure how much different the wiring is from the winjet fog lights set but in my case i first had the power wire plugged into the ignition fuse slot so they are always on when the car is turned on or run a on/off switch through the firewall into the cabin

FX86 is offline   Reply With Quote