follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-31-2020, 09:56 AM   #1
Milhouse86
Noob
 
Milhouse86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Drives: 13' FRS, 13' F150, 17' A4, 69' 442
Location: MI
Posts: 135
Thanks: 26
Thanked 87 Times in 49 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Engine rebuild

Well I had some family emergency stuff going on for the past few weeks so I have not had the opportunity to get bored quite yet. Things are finally settling down and its clear I do not have much work that I can get done for another month. I don't sit still well, it's why I have a few businesses, so I want to learn a new skill.

I blew my stock motor last fall. Was going to send it to @Element Tuning but with everything going on I am going to wait till I blow up the next one before I go full send. I already have done a good bit to the car and I am still a new track driver. So I was looking to toss a used motor in but I was waiting for the right time. Figured this summer.

So now I am thinking about braking my engine down and seeing what's what. If I go slow, document the entire process and take pics. Keep all parts together and in baggies. How hard can it be? I took a motor down to the bare block and put it back together when I was 18, but it was in a classroom and I have not done it sense.

My thought is if I just go slow and when I am done the worst case is I am NOT able to put it back together and I still just go buy a used motor.

What am I missing here? Bad idea?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
__________________
-2013 FRS/Black (Motor Blown/Under Construction)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135599
-1979 Trans AM/Black (Sold) -1969 Olds 442/Orange with white racing stripes - 2017 Audi A4/Black
Milhouse86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Milhouse86 For This Useful Post:
bcj (04-02-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 10:21 AM   #2
iluvfatchix
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Drives: 2013 frs
Location: US
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It sounds like you donít mind if you canít put it back together. It would be a really good learning experience without the stress of messing something up and being SOL. I say SEND IT


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
iluvfatchix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:48 AM   #3
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 62,529
Thanks: 55,352
Thanked 91,829 Times in 40,467 Posts
Mentioned: 2256 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Go for it. It is just an engine and they are all basicly the same. As you said just document as you go long.


Now, to more important matter tell us about the 442 in the background!
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
Opie (04-01-2020), Ultramaroon (04-12-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 11:11 AM   #4
Milhouse86
Noob
 
Milhouse86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Drives: 13' FRS, 13' F150, 17' A4, 69' 442
Location: MI
Posts: 135
Thanks: 26
Thanked 87 Times in 49 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvfatchix View Post
It sounds like you donít mind if you canít put it back together. It would be a really good learning experience without the stress of messing something up and being SOL. I say SEND IT


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Right! I am normally always worried about messing up something I still need. This seems perfect

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
__________________
-2013 FRS/Black (Motor Blown/Under Construction)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135599
-1979 Trans AM/Black (Sold) -1969 Olds 442/Orange with white racing stripes - 2017 Audi A4/Black
Milhouse86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:19 AM   #5
Milhouse86
Noob
 
Milhouse86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Drives: 13' FRS, 13' F150, 17' A4, 69' 442
Location: MI
Posts: 135
Thanks: 26
Thanked 87 Times in 49 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Go for it. It is just an engine and they are all basicly the same. As you said just document as you go long.


Now, to more important matter tell us about the 442 in the background!
Haha it's my dad and my project car from when I was in highschool. It's all numbers matching and I found the original build sheet on the car when we pulled the gas tank.

We pulled the motor and had it rebuild, balanced yada yada. It's got an RV cam, hooker headers, full 2.5 inch exhaust I made on a buddy's mandrel bender, vortex mufflers, Edelbrock intake, berry Grant speed demon 650 carb. Springs from a Olds Hurst for the rear end to keep dog walking to a minimum when you launch it. It's fun and sounds amazing.

It's for "sale" if anyone is interested lol

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
__________________
-2013 FRS/Black (Motor Blown/Under Construction)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135599
-1979 Trans AM/Black (Sold) -1969 Olds 442/Orange with white racing stripes - 2017 Audi A4/Black
Milhouse86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse86 For This Useful Post:
Lantanafrs2 (03-31-2020), Tcoat (03-31-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 04:33 PM   #6
PenGun
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Drives: 2019 Subaru BRZ
Location: Vancouver Island Candada
Posts: 38
Thanks: 5
Thanked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milhouse86 View Post
Haha it's my dad and my project car from when I was in highschool. It's all numbers matching and I found the original build sheet on the car when we pulled the gas tank.

We pulled the motor and had it rebuild, balanced yada yada. It's got an RV cam, hooker headers, full 2.5 inch exhaust I made on a buddy's mandrel bender, vortex mufflers, Edelbrock intake, berry Grant speed demon 650 carb. Springs from a Olds Hurst for the rear end to keep dog walking to a minimum when you launch it. It's fun and sounds amazing.

It's for "sale" if anyone is interested lol

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Memories. My 69 Cutlass had a 502 I put in it. Factory crate motor making 480 hp and 560 ft/lbs. Great fun but hard on the Gatorbacks.
PenGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:42 PM   #7
ls1ac
Senior Member
 
ls1ac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Location: Wi/Fl
Posts: 872
Thanks: 251
Thanked 689 Times in 377 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
As said go for it. You have the space and now the time and not your only transportation.
When you get it apart you will have a greater knowledge and only time invested. If block is ok then a rebuilder can put it back together if you are not felling like it. (just do not expect them to discount the build because you took it a part.)
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:57 PM   #8
Milhouse86
Noob
 
Milhouse86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Drives: 13' FRS, 13' F150, 17' A4, 69' 442
Location: MI
Posts: 135
Thanks: 26
Thanked 87 Times in 49 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1ac View Post
As said go for it. You have the space and now the time and not your only transportation.
When you get it apart you will have a greater knowledge and only time invested. If block is ok then a rebuilder can put it back together if you are not felling like it. (just do not expect them to discount the build because you took it a part.)
Haha come on man I did half the work!!! Jkjkjk
Yah I run a business, wouldn't try to pull that bs.

Ok so does anyone know what of any specialty tools I may need? I would assume not till re assembly but idk.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
__________________
-2013 FRS/Black (Motor Blown/Under Construction)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135599
-1979 Trans AM/Black (Sold) -1969 Olds 442/Orange with white racing stripes - 2017 Audi A4/Black
Milhouse86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:13 PM   #9
DarkPira7e
No, my car doesn't run
 
DarkPira7e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Location: Vermont
Posts: 2,605
Thanks: 1,748
Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,204 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Your biggest challenge will be getting the timing cover off. Enjoy!
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:14 PM   #10
Milhouse86
Noob
 
Milhouse86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Drives: 13' FRS, 13' F150, 17' A4, 69' 442
Location: MI
Posts: 135
Thanks: 26
Thanked 87 Times in 49 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Your biggest challenge will be getting the timing cover off. Enjoy!
Mmm ok I'll watch that part of the videos carefully. Any tips? Any videos you particularly like?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
__________________
-2013 FRS/Black (Motor Blown/Under Construction)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135599
-1979 Trans AM/Black (Sold) -1969 Olds 442/Orange with white racing stripes - 2017 Audi A4/Black
Milhouse86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:55 PM   #11
DarkPira7e
No, my car doesn't run
 
DarkPira7e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Location: Vermont
Posts: 2,605
Thanks: 1,748
Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,204 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milhouse86 View Post
Mmm ok I'll watch that part of the videos carefully. Any tips? Any videos you particularly like?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
It's just that the sealant is like super glue, you need to pry it off using the little tabs they give you with a prybar. I don't have any advice other than make sure it's in a very warm place to loosen the sealant!
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 03:21 PM   #12
Milhouse86
Noob
 
Milhouse86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Drives: 13' FRS, 13' F150, 17' A4, 69' 442
Location: MI
Posts: 135
Thanks: 26
Thanked 87 Times in 49 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
It's just that the sealant is like super glue, you need to pry it off using the little tabs they give you with a prybar. I don't have any advice other than make sure it's in a very warm place to loosen the sealant!
Haha just pulled the bolts and started getting a good look at where we can pry carefully. Thanks for the heads up.. might try to heat it up a bit.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
__________________
-2013 FRS/Black (Motor Blown/Under Construction)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135599
-1979 Trans AM/Black (Sold) -1969 Olds 442/Orange with white racing stripes - 2017 Audi A4/Black
Milhouse86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 03:22 PM   #13
Milhouse86
Noob
 
Milhouse86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Drives: 13' FRS, 13' F150, 17' A4, 69' 442
Location: MI
Posts: 135
Thanks: 26
Thanked 87 Times in 49 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So I have not started looking but I found this during disassembly. What am I looking at and what happened? Looks like it burnt off...

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
__________________
-2013 FRS/Black (Motor Blown/Under Construction)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135599
-1979 Trans AM/Black (Sold) -1969 Olds 442/Orange with white racing stripes - 2017 Audi A4/Black
Milhouse86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 03:42 PM   #14
DarkPira7e
No, my car doesn't run
 
DarkPira7e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Location: Vermont
Posts: 2,605
Thanks: 1,748
Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,204 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milhouse86 View Post
So I have not started looking but I found this during disassembly. What am I looking at and what happened? Looks like it burnt off...

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
The OCVs rust fast and those plastic ends break off super easily. I'm buying 4 new ones for my build and getting the covers for them from racer x Fab or perrin
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for Best Shop for Engine Rebuild lc300 CANADA 5 10-09-2019 06:11 PM
chance AC condenser getting damaged during engine rebuild? msaikhan Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 17 04-07-2019 02:01 PM
P0335 after engine rebuild Greg555 Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 10 12-28-2017 12:32 AM
Engine won't start after rebuild septonb Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 7 05-26-2017 11:48 PM
For the engine rebuild gurus puma Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 9 09-08-2016 07:33 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.