follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
RR Racing
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge

Off-Topic Lounge For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
EAGLE5, finch1750, go_a_way1, iManage, KR-S, MisterSheep, Tcoat, Ultramaroon

Old 09-25-2020, 02:42 PM   #72815
Tcoat
He who smelt it...

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 92,499 Times in 40,740 Posts
Mentioned: 2264 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
I want to do one one day, but now all my car friends are like 4 hours away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I have been trying to put a group together for a while. Everyone is either too busy, or I am too busy and I don't have the space right now.
Both to far away for me to join.
Never heard of it over here.
Looks like we had something similar but since the last update was the 2016 schedule I would guess it is gone.
https://www.chumpcarcanada.com/
Old 09-25-2020, 03:29 PM   #72816
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 5,910 Times in 3,192 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I have been trying to put a group together for a while. Everyone is either too busy, or I am too busy and I don't have the space right now.
Yep, same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Looks like we had something similar but since the last update was the 2016 schedule I would guess it is gone.
I don't know of any reason why you couldn't have a Canadian team race in lemons. Just sayin'. It's a pretty big time and money investment though. Cars are $500 not counting required safety equipment and such. Plus travel and all that. And you basically have to do all the work yourself except cages I think.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:36 PM   #72817
ScoobsMcGee
Junior Senior with Cheese

Drives: 15 BRZ, 19 WRX STI
Thanked 4,473 Times in 1,736 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I did a dumb, and figured I might as well share it. Cause why not.

The WRX was scheduled for inspection today, so I was putting some miles on it Wednesday after work. It's sat in the garage for a quite few months between driving the BRZ and lockdowns. I was on a road I didn't know. At dusk. In an inactive construction zone. With a 55 mph speed limit I was mostly obeying.

There was a sign which read "uneven lanes," but I didn't think much of it since I was in the higher lane that was freshly paved. What I didn't realize is that the entire stretch of the road I was driving on was ground way down before paving, and eventually came to a 2" sharp concrete lip where the newer road stopped and original road started. No sign warning of it. No attempt to pave a ramp. Just 90 degree cuts and not even enough time to think "ah, crap baskets" between realizing it was there and hitting it.

Excuses aside, this was entirely my fault. I was driving too fast for the conditions.

The impact was forceful enough that the windshield wipers turned on and review mirror tilted down. The passenger side front tire immediately deflated and I pulled off to the side of the road, took the jack and spare from the trunk, and went to work. I felt a bit better about how I got there since, while I was changing to the spare, about a dozen other people hit the same bump forcefully enough that I could hear it from a hundred or so feet away. A few people even got out to check their own tires, got back in their cars, and then drove away. Thankfully they weren't driving cars with 35 aspect ratio tires. I also can't fault anyone for not asking if I needed help with the whole, ya know, pandemic and all.

The creepy thing was that the people who lived across the street from where I stopped got out of their house, stood on their front lawn, and stared at me. Since I was on the passenger side of the car I didn't notice until I stood up and saw them. Paused for a moment and said "Good evening." They just kept staring, not saying a word. If horror movies have taught me anything, if it weren't for the fact that I was on a decently traveled road, I probably would have been shot and eaten. Likely with mayonnaise.

Anyway, I got the car to a shop on Thursday morning and asked them to both check the wheel and put the car on a lift to check the suspension. The damage is a bit costly, but not as bad as I feared. The passenger side front tire tore where the tire meets the wheel, and the wheel itself is bent. The driver's side front tire is still usable, but has a gash in the tread where it hit. That wheel is fine. Most of the suspension components are fine and the car still drives straight; however, one of the bushings on the front sway bar on the passenger side is torn. I'm not sure if that happened with the impact or before, but an excuse to get new sway bars eventually. For right now, a wheel and 4 new tires. Both the fronts should be replaced, and in addition to wanting matching tires/tread on all four corners, one in the rear already had a patch from a nail. Plus an alignment, since I mean... I hit a concrete lip hard enough to turn on the windshield wipers.

I also called the dealership to speak with the service writer:

"Uh, I bent a wheel last night, and I'm guessing this thing won't pass inspection with a donut on it, will it?"
"No."
"Probably a stupid question, but if I put the winter tires on, it should be fine, right?"
"Are they tires?"
"Yes."
"Do they have tread?"
"Yes."
"You're fine."
"Awesome, thank you."
"Dumbass." - She probably said after hanging up.

I swapped to the winter wheels, got the car inspected this morning, and now will put the three good wheels and donut back on tomorrow. Then back to the shop for the new wheel and tires installed with alignment on Tuesday. I thought about putting the normal wheels in the trunk and leaving the winters on, but figured it made more sense to change them back and make things easier later.

So I guess the moral is don't do dumb things, or else service writers will deservedly call you a dumbass in your imagination. Also you'll have to either file an insurance claim, or shell out the cost of a decent set of entry-level coilovers just to fix what you broke on your car. I'm very lucky that it wasn't way worse in a few different ways.

Man, that became a long post... Sorry about that.
ScoobsMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ScoobsMcGee For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (09-26-2020), humfrz (09-26-2020), JD001 (09-26-2020), MICHAEL450f (09-25-2020), NoHaveMSG (09-25-2020), p1l0t (09-26-2020), soundman98 (09-25-2020), spike021 (09-29-2020), Spuds (09-26-2020), Ultramaroon (09-26-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 10:51 PM   #72818
soundman98
threadwrecker

Drives: '14 brz limited
Thanked 5,629 Times in 2,941 Posts
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
chumpcar has a brother. gambler 500. from what i've been lead to understand, it's almost entirely on facebook anymore. so the website might be thin on details

hidplanet build log
soundman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:24 AM   #72819
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobsMcGee View Post
Ah yes, I remember how construction in PA works. How much you want to bet that road has been like that for months?

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Definitely sounds like something that could have happened to me at least.

One note, you may be able to file a claim with the state since it was a man-made hazard in the road. They automatically deny damage from natural potholes, but construction-related claims should be considered. I would take some pictures and try it out.

https://www.penndot.gov/ContactUs/Pages/District-8.aspx
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (09-26-2020), ScoobsMcGee (09-26-2020), soundman98 (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 03:52 AM   #72820
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 25,939 Times in 14,052 Posts
Mentioned: 620 Post(s)
Quote:
.... don't do that no more -
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
ScoobsMcGee (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 07:28 AM   #72821
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 5,955 Times in 2,814 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
tattoo

Name:  rXX7Yz.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  250.0 KB

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (09-26-2020), Spuds (09-26-2020), Ultramaroon (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 11:21 AM   #72822
ScoobsMcGee
Junior Senior with Cheese

Drives: 15 BRZ, 19 WRX STI
Thanked 4,473 Times in 1,736 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Ah yes, I remember how construction in PA works. How much you want to bet that road has been like that for months?

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Definitely sounds like something that could have happened to me at least.

One note, you may be able to file a claim with the state since it was a man-made hazard in the road. They automatically deny damage from natural potholes, but construction-related claims should be considered. I would take some pictures and try it out.

https://www.penndot.gov/ContactUs/Pages/District-8.aspx
I'm not sure how long its been like that to be honest. I was on 233 near Newville and have only been that far north on it a few times over the years. Thanks for the info on the District 8 claim! No harm in calling and asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
.... don't do that no more -
I'll try, but no promises.

In another note, found out that despite the 24h Nürburgring being available for free on YouTube for years, Motor Trend bought rights to stream it on their paid service, and then geoblocked it in a half dozen countries. Easy enough to get around, but fuck Motor Trend for taking something freely available, withholding it from people, and then charging for it.
ScoobsMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ScoobsMcGee For This Useful Post:
humfrz (09-26-2020), soundman98 (09-26-2020), Spuds (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 11:48 AM   #72823
soundman98
threadwrecker

Drives: '14 brz limited
Thanked 5,629 Times in 2,941 Posts
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
motortrend has consistently been eroding away everything that i attempt to enjoy in the car community.

hidplanet build log
soundman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soundman98 For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (09-26-2020), ScoobsMcGee (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 12:28 PM   #72824
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
I hope you are serious, because that would be an awesome tattoo.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
JD001 (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 06:37 PM   #72825
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 5,720 Times in 3,114 Posts
Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Quote:
Fucking ridiculous. I would be so pissed if that happened to me and I had to deal with all that damage. lol @ the part about the two homeowners coming out to do jack fucking shit to help. You think the least they could have done was said "Need a hand?" and then left it at that and went back inside. What's the point of standing there staring at you while you worked? Creepy and pointless.

Hope you can get a claim filed with the state since that is 100% their fault for not even putting a "BUMP" sign before it so that you could slow down accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
ScoobsMcGee (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 07:12 PM   #72826
Spuds
The Dictater

The latest in Spuds registration saga...

I figured out what happened. It was my insurance company's fault! When I called them originally to change the address and get the cars set up for MD, they didn't actually change what state it was registered in. I went into my online account and manually changed it and suddenly everything works the way it's supposed to. It's really strange the customer service folks thought it was correct in their system. Whatever. Mission Accomplished!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
humfrz (09-26-2020), MICHAEL450f (09-26-2020), p1l0t (09-26-2020), soundman98 (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 10:33 PM   #72827
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Thanked 3,385 Times in 1,672 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Well shit I think the "curse" finally fucking got me. I just discovered my right rear quarter panel is caved in and I know why: it happened while my car was parked at work and a huge object just fell down and struck my car.

I was never notified by my work of any of this.

Fortunately, I have video evidence of it happening, but I'm wondering if you guys know if I can even hold my employer liable for this? Nothing at work indicates that I shouldn't ever park there, and I believe there is even a document that shows where you shouldn't park.

What do you guys think? I understand this isn't a legal forum, just wondering what the smart move would be. I'm gonna submit video to insurance when I can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 11:56 PM   #72828
Tcoat
He who smelt it...

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 92,499 Times in 40,740 Posts
Mentioned: 2264 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KR-S View Post
Well shit I think the "curse" finally fucking got me. I just discovered my right rear quarter panel is caved in and I know why: it happened while my car was parked at work and a huge object just fell down and struck my car.

I was never notified by my work of any of this.

Fortunately, I have video evidence of it happening, but I'm wondering if you guys know if I can even hold my employer liable for this? Nothing at work indicates that I shouldn't ever park there, and I believe there is even a document that shows where you shouldn't park.

What do you guys think? I understand this isn't a legal forum, just wondering what the smart move would be. I'm gonna submit video to insurance when I can.
Don’t know about your local laws but here parking at your work is done at your own risk. Companies are in no way responsible for vehicles parked on their property.
But...
If there was negligence involved then the company may well help you out to avoid dealing with your insurance company. Depends on how big a stink you want to raise. If you have evidence Talk to your boss and see what they have to say.
Dadhawk (10-05-2020), humfrz (09-27-2020), KR-S (09-27-2020), p1l0t (09-27-2020)

Tags
aching balls, ass or gtfo, germanystrikesback, guff approved, human resources, i don't wanna go to prom, i lurk, i participated, i read this thread, i'm so gay, ichi has crabs, ichi is in denial, imanage can't manage, in god we thrust, me worry?, member berries, never forget, nothing for you!!!, nsfp, omg i can't catch up! :(, poo on my chest, post #696 review on ichi, sapphireho sucks!, specialk watches you post, special_k is a lurker, tcoat is as tcoat does, tcoat is dead, tcoat is jesus, tcoat is risen, tcoat returns, tcoat rules, tig ol bitties, tits or gtfo, touch me, trackmyfarts, wubba lubba dub dubs!!!, y u do dis