follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 09-28-2020, 03:34 PM   #15
degozaru

Drives: 2016 oceanic frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suppjc View Post
Hi there, I think I came across your post about ur experience too.
At the moment I pulled out the unit and put back the oem one, seriously considering returning the unit.

I found out that their Toyota Harness was almost pnp but the wire for Amp on was not connected to anything. I’m guess that was the only way to make the harness universal for many people but doenst work for our platform.

I’ve looked up several posts regarding wiring diagram, and then found out even that is all different among different model years. The OEM unit I have is a pioneer unit with a touch screen on 2015 scion frs. Right now, I can’t tell which one is the amp on cable.

I played with the atoto unit little more, but it was quite laggy, add on mic is terrible somehow, and Carplay by a separate dongle was unstable. At this point, I’m considering buying something like sony Ax1000 from Crutchfield. As far as I heard, they prep the harness pretty much pnp. I’ll loose the option to utilize my obd, but can’t sacrifice the overall usability especially when it comes to the Carplay and its stability.

Ps. You mentioned you de-pinned the amp on. Would you know where I can watch the video tutorial? At least I’ll get to know the process.

Sorry I didn't mean repin the amp, i meant repin the reverse lights. This one requires a bit of electrical knowledge... If you're still stuck with that head unit and need to get the reverse camera working, I can help. However, everything else for me was plug and play with the harnesses i bought
degozaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to degozaru For This Useful Post:
suppjc (09-28-2020)
Old 09-28-2020, 09:39 PM   #16
suppjc

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by degozaru View Post
Sorry I didn't mean repin the amp, i meant repin the reverse lights. This one requires a bit of electrical knowledge... If you're still stuck with that head unit and need to get the reverse camera working, I can help. However, everything else for me was plug and play with the harnesses i bought
No problem, thanks for your comment again. The harness I had seemed to connect everything else but the amp-on, which was labeled but not connected to anything. My car doesn't have a backup cam, so that's out of the equation.

I actually ended up returning the unit and instead bought a sony unit from Crutchfield. I figured that even if I fixed the harness, it was quite laggy and glitchy for me to keep using it in a long term, so decided to go for a popular one. What I bought is Sony xav-ax1000, and I'm waiting for that to come.
suppjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:04 PM   #17
degozaru

Drives: 2016 oceanic frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by suppjc View Post
No problem, thanks for your comment again. The harness I had seemed to connect everything else but the amp-on, which was labeled but not connected to anything. My car doesn't have a backup cam, so that's out of the equation.

I actually ended up returning the unit and instead bought a sony unit from Crutchfield. I figured that even if I fixed the harness, it was quite laggy and glitchy for me to keep using it in a long term, so decided to go for a popular one. What I bought is Sony xav-ax1000, and I'm waiting for that to come.

I have a pal with that, it's not a bad headunit, I like it.
degozaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 11:25 AM   #18
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,094 Times in 2,044 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
PSA- The Toyota spec headunit is back in stock!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B075W...b_b_asin_title
@tarzan_nojane
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote