follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-20-2019, 08:08 AM   #155
TMF

Drives: '14 FRS TT5
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
The skid plate is a well known issue across numerous headers. The skid plate was designed/positioned around stock header. Part of what makes a lot of aftermarket headers effective in adding power is changing the runner length and angles etc.. which results in more power but also contacting the skid plate. Nothing a rubber mallet and 30seconds of time can’t resolve though. It has nothing to do with a bad or low quality design.
^^this. I think the "fitment issues" are far overblown. A deadblow, socket extension and just a minor amount of massaging on the skid plate, and no more rubbing.

Also, in case anyone is curious what this header sounds like (JDL 4-2-1 EL header, JDL op, JDL resonated fp, Tanabe Concept g):

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvNQyogB..._web_copy_link
JBezugs (03-20-2019), new2subaru (03-20-2019), Roadcone (03-20-2019), R_E_L (03-20-2019), tobin (03-20-2019), Tristor (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 10:05 AM   #156
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'd wish though for each and every not 100% clearing aftermarket header vendor to supply with according nfo about clearance issues with header. If it's known to be rub, imho seems wrong to find out about it experimentally after mounting skid plate, when eg. expensive ceramic coating on header is already damaged. Seems also wrong if to find out source is forum with reported cases of rubbing already happened.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Cheeky (04-18-2019), shu5892001 (04-11-2019), tobin (03-20-2019), Tristor (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 10:08 AM   #157
Roadcone
StreetKart

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
I'd wish though for each and every not 100% clearing aftermarket header vendor to supply with according nfo about clearance issues with header. If it's known to be rub, imho seems wrong to find out about it experimentally after mounting skid plate, when eg. expensive ceramic coating on header is already damaged. Seems also wrong if to find out source is forum with reported cases of rubbing already happened.
I don't think the coating is damaged on mine. Pretty sure the aluminum melted to it tho lol.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2019, 10:44 AM   #158
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Scratched/rubbed off/have skidplate material melted on .. whatever. I'll call that "damaged". If one later decides to sell it off, whichever of those defects may slightly lower price. And it could have simply avoided, if vendors posted appropriate warnings about possible rubbing in mounting instructions (preferably with pic marking spots on pan needed to be hammered to increase clearance). It's minor thing/issue, but nevertheless slightly annoying, and customer satisfaction could have been easily risen if vendor included simple piece of paper with that nfo in set, not expensive nor difficult thing to do, showing that vendor thoroughly have thought out everything in details about it's product.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:50 AM   #159
Roadcone
StreetKart

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Scratched/rubbed off/have skidplate material melted on .. whatever. I'll call that "damaged". If one later decides to sell it off, whichever of those defects may slightly lower price. And it could have simply avoided, if vendors posted appropriate warnings about possible rubbing in mounting instructions (preferably with pic marking spots on pan needed to be hammered to increase clearance). It's minor thing/issue, but nevertheless slightly annoying, and customer satisfaction could have been easily risen if vendor included simple piece of paper with that nfo in set, not expensive nor difficult thing to do, showing that vendor thoroughly have thought out everything in details about it's product.
Hand made mass produced racecar parts dont always fit perfect. I would assume it's implied that you may need to clearance things. It's a 1200 dollar header not a 4000 dollar header.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:12 AM   #160
M0nk3y

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS / Chevy Colorado
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Late to the game here, but I've had 0 fitment issues with my JDL 4-2-1 Header (rev1 aka BlackFriday sale)

I'll double check pan clearance, but it's been dead quiet as far as that and the pan went up easy during reinstall.

In the process of retuning the car, but dear god this thing pulls really hard now vs my old Tomei UEL
Kyle H. - #89 STX
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:03 AM   #161
Roadcone
StreetKart

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
Late to the game here, but I've had 0 fitment issues with my JDL 4-2-1 Header (rev1 aka BlackFriday sale)

I'll double check pan clearance, but it's been dead quiet as far as that and the pan went up easy during reinstall.

In the process of retuning the car, but dear god this thing pulls really hard now vs my old Tomei UEL
It's pretty bonkers how much mid-range it has isn't it. To Me 4-2-1 on 93 has the mid-range of a jdl uel on e85.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:37 AM   #162
TMF

Finally got mine on the dyno last week! I was honestly hoping for a bit more power, but safety is a top concern since this is primarily a track car. I'm waiting to hear back from Bill at Delicious Tuning to see if he thinks there is safely more in it. Unfortunately I don't have a baseline to compare it to :/

Dyno: Dynojet, SAE correction, smoothing=5
External: 59 degrees fahrenheit, 21% humidity
Elevation: 738' (Dayton, Ohio)
Setup: JDL 4-2-1 EL header, JDL overpipe, JDL catless frontpipe w/ single resonator, Tanabe Concept G catback, K&N panel air filter in OEM intake; everything else is stock.
Fuel: 93 octane
Tune: Custom Ecutek tune from Delicious Tuning
Peak: 182 whp and 151 wtq

Code Monkey (04-11-2019), Lantanafrs2 (04-11-2019), RayRay88 (04-11-2019), Shark_Bait88 (04-11-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 11:01 AM   #163
M0nk3y

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMF View Post
Finally got mine on the dyno last week! I was honestly hoping for a bit more power, but safety is a top concern since this is primarily a track car. I'm waiting to hear back from Bill at Delicious Tuning to see if he thinks there is safely more in it. Unfortunately I don't have a baseline to compare it to :/
Your one A/F pull looks odd as you go towards redline, it wants to go lean out.

Anyways, if you are just always doing remote tuning it's difficult to extract everything out (safely).

My base tune off my Tomei UELs are from 2 hours of dyno time and a lot of pulls. So timing/fuel adjustments are pretty minor for the relative big change in header. I've found through the different revisions we're able to add a lot more fuel/timing especially midrange and definite difference.

I'll have to see when I can get on a dyno. It won't be the same dyno so don't know if it'll be much of a comparison.
Kyle H. - #89 STX
The Following User Says Thank You to M0nk3y For This Useful Post:
TMF (04-11-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 02:05 PM   #164
TMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
Your one A/F pull looks odd as you go towards redline, it wants to go lean out.

Anyways, if you are just always doing remote tuning it's difficult to extract everything out (safely).

My base tune off my Tomei UELs are from 2 hours of dyno time and a lot of pulls. So timing/fuel adjustments are pretty minor for the relative big change in header. I've found through the different revisions we're able to add a lot more fuel/timing especially midrange and definite difference.

I'll have to see when I can get on a dyno. It won't be the same dyno so don't know if it'll be much of a comparison.
Yea, the A/F stood out to me as well and I'm waiting to hear back from Delicious.

What tuner/dyno do you normally use? Somewhere in Ohio?
Old 04-11-2019, 02:33 PM   #165
R_E_L
He's got this.

Drives: 50th Anni BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Power delivery looks good though. I just ordered my flex kit and tune from CSG last night (tax return finally came in haha). A little conflicted on install though. I am planning on doing my first auto-x event next month, and I kinda wanna be stock to have a nice baseline to compare to. Plus it would be nice to know what it's like to push the stock car in a safe environment before the power bump.

Won't be doing any dyno runs because I already spent my budget on parts, so remote tuning for me. But if anyone is considering sponsoring my dyno time I would be more than happy to oblige haha.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:35 PM   #166
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,012 Times in 1,456 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Dyno: Dynojet, SAE correction, smoothing=5

External: 59 degrees fahrenheit, 21% humidity

Elevation: 738' (Dayton, Ohio)

Setup: JDL 4-2-1 EL header, JDL overpipe, JDL catless frontpipe w/ single resonator, Tanabe Concept G catback, K&N panel air filter in OEM intake; everything else is stock.

Fuel: 93 octane

Tune: Custom Ecutek tune from Delicious Tuning

Peak: 182 whp and 151 wtq

Maybe have them post a baseline twin to compare the gains. Gains % is more important when comparing gains on a dyno then HP and tq.

Glad more ppl are getting these installed. Now that I am going FI with sprintex IC kit and flex fuel header really does not matter with this kit so I am keeping my Tomei UEL.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:15 AM   #167
M0nk3y

Quote:
Yea, the A/F stood out to me as well and I'm waiting to hear back from Delicious.

What tuner/dyno do you normally use? Somewhere in Ohio?
I traveled out to MotoEast/Xero-Limit initially for a dyno tune
Kyle H. - #89 STX
The Following User Says Thank You to M0nk3y For This Useful Post:
TMF (04-18-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 08:19 AM   #168
Roadcone
StreetKart

Per my tuner the cam tables on this header are seriously weird. They make no sense to me but we did like 8 revisions via remote and there were noticable changes to power delivery based on him optimizing the cam tables.