follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 04-03-2018, 01:39 PM   #1
Roadcone
StreetKart

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Various Chassis Braces?

Which braces do you feel do something beneficial and which braces do you think just take your money?

The TRD member brace kit all seems legitimate to me. The rear bumper brace doesnt apply to USDM cars as we apparently have a beefier bumper 'cuz 'murica.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:47 PM   #2
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,352 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
What are you trying to achieve with the braces? Without knowing what you want it's really hard to say if they're worth it.

Does the car see track time? If yes, what tires and spring rates?
Old 04-03-2018, 01:48 PM   #3
Roadcone
StreetKart

This was more a hypothetical question. Like fender braces, do you think they do anything or is it just taking your money?

if you just need a scenario here's two. Pikes Peak umlimited class aero, third member suspension and 335 slicks on all four corners. another would be a street car running something like a super sport that sees mountain use on a set of lowering springs.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:28 PM   #4
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,481 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
The rear subframe bushing inserts (I have whiteline, I think there's other brands though) are well worth $50 for a car on public roads

A racecar would likely go for solid metal to replace the subframe bushings

I also have differential bushing inserts but I felt like it over-stiffened the rear and am considering removing some of those inserts.

TRD looks like overpriced bling to me, imho everywhere that brace kit connects is where a subframe attaches to the chassis, if that piece of sheetmetal is adding significant rigidity between those points then this chassis is as floppy as an NA Miata.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117053
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 02:29 PM   #5
Roadcone
StreetKart

braces. not bushings. Metal, not rubber/poly

I've driven a car with and without this kit. It's noticeable.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:38 PM   #6
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,481 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcone View Post
braces. not bushings. Metal, not rubber/poly

I've driven a car with and without this kit. It's noticeable.
Then why ask if you already know?

Brace kits aren't common for this chassis, it was already designed to be stiff. It's not the 90's any more, you'll get more bang for your buck out of bushings.

Good luck!

Edit: To be clear, I'm not saying they don't matter, I'm saying the improvement is small.

Last edited by strat61caster; 04-03-2018 at 03:39 PM.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (04-03-2018), Tcoat (04-04-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 02:56 PM   #7
jamal

Drives: Legacy GT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
None of that has ever really impressed me. "hey, check it out, we bolted one part of the floor to another part of the floor!"

I have heard pretty knowledgeable people say they make a difference but I haven't seen a lot of quantified data. Like maybe you take a chassis and twist it and measure force vs deflection with or without different braces.

If it's a race car, you are welding in a cage.
jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 04:32 PM   #8
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The front crossmember brace makes a huge difference imo. Same with a front strut bar.

Keep in mind these will make your ride less comfortable as the force of hitting pot holes will be transferred to you instead of the chassis.

A NASCAR chassis engineer said both the front and rear suspension should have any equal amount of support from braces, but adding too much stiffness from braces can exasperate understeer/oversteer depending on the current balance your car.

Like others have said, adding bracing to the rear suspension/subframe won’t do much and you should try bushings there if you want to make a bigger difference.

Perrin steering rack brace is also great, but if I could it again I’d privablt go for the Cusco steering brace.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to norcalpb For This Useful Post:
JohnH (01-11-2022), Tristor (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 06:59 PM   #9
Gunman

Drives: 2019 Mazda Miata RF
Thanked 1,317 Times in 736 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Garage
It's going to depend on how hard you drive the car. If you are pushing it, to where the torsional compliance is an issue, they the braces will help. General rule of thumb is to remove chassis compliance, so you can isolate it to the suspension, and tune it as needed.

That said, I have worked on a NASCAR cup car, which we had to remove braces to get it to turn. During the big coil bind era, the chassis needed some compliance, because the suspension didn't have any.
Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gunman For This Useful Post:
Tristor (04-04-2018), venturaII (04-04-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 08:07 AM   #10
Roadcone
StreetKart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunman View Post
It's going to depend on how hard you drive the car. If you are pushing it, to where the torsional compliance is an issue, they the braces will help. General rule of thumb is to remove chassis compliance, so you can isolate it to the suspension, and tune it as needed.

That said, I have worked on a NASCAR cup car, which we had to remove braces to get it to turn. During the big coil bind era, the chassis needed some compliance, because the suspension didn't have any.
which is part of why i'm asking this on here. Cusco sell braces that are 100% absurd, there's zero reason to tie the subframe to itself in the rear yet they've got a brace for it.
Gunman (04-04-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 09:24 AM   #11
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunman View Post

+1 and that's really the only scenario where adding chassis stiffness would cause understeer/oversteer. If a car has sufficient suspension stroke, a stiffer chassis is always better.
Tristor (04-04-2018), wparsons (04-04-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 11:07 AM   #12
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
venturaII: just that improvements are rather slight and there are better parts/areas more worth investing into. And i wonder if those slight improvements are enough to offset weight gains.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 11:45 AM   #13
Gunman

Drives: 2019 Mazda Miata RF
Thanked 1,317 Times in 736 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcone View Post
which is part of why i'm asking this on here. Cusco sell braces that are 100% absurd, there's zero reason to tie the subframe to itself in the rear yet they've got a brace for it.
Agreed, I've looked at some of them, and wondered what they thought they were stiffening?
Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 11:45 AM   #14
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
venturaII: just that improvements are rather slight and there are better parts/areas more worth investing into. And i wonder if those slight improvements are enough to offset weight gains.

The gains on car with any sort of streetable suspension would be virtually unnoticable, in terms of measured performance. NVH will certainly change (and degrade overall) and is certainly the source of 99% of claims that the car has been 'improved'. But I'd expect that reducing overall chassis flex could result in better durability over high mileage and/or hard use. All that said, 25 pounds isn't a whole lot to be adding. A lightweight battery would fix that if you were worried.