follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 01-08-2022, 04:40 PM   #15
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ SOLD
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReplicant View Post
Entirely depends on gearing and I said a slightly larger turbo to help falloff. My last track car was an 04 Miata with the 6spd, 3.91, and an EFR6258. It was a flat table from 3500 to 7000 which basically turned it into a 3-4 car at the slower tracks and a 3-4-5 car normally, super easy to drive.
Its does and with the stock gearing you would be shifting quite often, isn't that correct? One of the OP selling points of this motor was cost which ends up being a major wash with the lack of swap kit and the need to change the FD. OR one could K24(x)swap with less headaches a better aftermarket and more overhead.
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 06:36 PM   #16
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
The other disadvantage not mentioned is the exhaust/turbo setup being on the driver’s side like it is on the K2xC motors instead of the passenger’s side like how it is on the K2xA/Z motors. With the steering rack in the way, the exhaust would have less clearance. The new motors also have a much larger coolant housing on the rear. Obviously, this would be replaced, but it could be more complicated simply because it integrates more components like the feed and return line is there, and the thermostat is there. This could prove to be an advantage too, but it seems more problematic. Maybe one line would go one direct and one the other direction, and they could move the thermostat to a side position. Definitely more expensive to design, and it would probably require a casting instead of a billet part, or it would need to be a two piece design.

If a similar K series kit was introduced, this would be a cheap option for someone looking for a tunable, turbo motor with sub 400whp. Kpower might need to change their name again, this time to H(Honda)power, or even to something more inclusive/broad.
Old 01-11-2022, 12:55 AM   #17
Four_wheel_drifts

Drives: Whiteout track car; lava donor
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PulsarBeeerz View Post
You'd be shifting often and early with that 6400 rpm redline and early power fall off.
The low redline is a major disadvantage for me. I’d for sure need to get rid of my 4.56 final drive that I love for our PNW tracks.

That IS a big allure of the k engine for me: 8k+ redlines stock.
Four_wheel_drifts is offline   Reply With Quote