follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-25-2020, 11:25 AM   #1
matthman2

Drives: 100% Stock Deep Blue 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Faked/Replica Tom's parts?

Hey I was just wondering if any of you guys have ever come across any fake Tom's parts? I am wondering because someone on my local buy and sell is selling a bunch of "new" Tom's parts for way below retail including taillights which retail for about 800 where I live for 300 as well as the full rear and front strut tower bracing which retails for about like 700ish where I live but are selling for 250.

Of course if these are real I'd love to jump on the good deal but I'm wary of them being fakes or rip offs, anyone know anything?

To add to my suspicions they are also selling a bunch of other new Tom's parts, some OEM Lexus parts and clothing and some designer handbags and purses for what I imagine is way below retail pricing.

They have told me they used to be a Tom's supplier and this is the last of there stock, still unsure anyone have any ideas? All the photos they have posted are just the Tom's product photos.

EDIT: I ended up finding identical products on alibaba for like 30-90 dollars so i did not even bother to go look at the parts in question

Last edited by matthman2; 07-26-2020 at 06:42 PM.
matthman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 11:37 AM   #2
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
If anything is ever made there is somebody that makes a cheap knockoff. It is a fact of life.
Problem is that you may never know until you get it. Even then it may be impossible to tell.
If he is just selling used parts he took off his car then they very well could be real and he just wants rid of them.
If claiming new then I would be wary.
Dadhawk (07-25-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 03:15 PM   #3
calcal

Drives: 2019 Toyota 86 TRD SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
If anything is ever made there is somebody that makes a cheap knockoff. It is a fact of life.
Problem is that you may never know until you get it. Even then it may be impossible to tell.
If he is just selling used parts he took off his car then they very well could be real and he just wants rid of them.
If claiming new then I would be wary.
true story
calcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 09:31 PM   #4
BigHugeFatGuy

Drives: 2016 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I've never run across fake Tom's and I've got their tail lights and side skirts.
That said, Mr Coat is right, and they're probably out there. Ask for close up pics to maybe get a hint.
Attached Images

BigHugeFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigHugeFatGuy For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-26-2020)
Old 07-26-2020, 12:14 PM   #5
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthman2 View Post
Hey I was just wondering if any of you guys have ever come across any fake Tom's parts? I am wondering because someone on my local buy and sell is selling a bunch of "new" Tom's parts for way below retail including taillights which retail for about 800 where I live for 300 as well as the full rear and front strut tower bracing which retails for about like 700ish where I live but are selling for 250.

Of course if these are real I'd love to jump on the good deal but I'm wary of them being fakes or rip offs, anyone know anything?

To add to my suspicions they are also selling a bunch of other new Tom's parts, some OEM Lexus parts and clothing and some designer handbags and purses for what I imagine is way below retail pricing.

They have told me they used to be a Tom's supplier and this is the last of there stock, still unsure anyone have any ideas? All the photos they have posted are just the Tom's product photos.

Depo has been making them for years, starting with the clear lens and black versions.
Old 07-26-2020, 12:48 PM   #6
guitarman

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthman2 View Post
Of course if these are real I'd love to jump on the good deal but I'm wary of them being fakes or rip offs, anyone know anything?.
Well, you know the old saying “if it sounds too good to be true....”

....I think in the online marketplace era this is doubly poignant.

ymmv
guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to guitarman For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-26-2020)
Old 07-26-2020, 11:09 PM   #7
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiske View Post
Depo has been making them for years, starting with the clear lens and black versions.
the 'tom's' tail lights are actually manufactured by depo, for tom's. for a few years, i actively searched for a set without the tom's laser etching...
Old 07-31-2020, 11:20 AM   #8
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
As has been mentioned, Tom's parts are manufactured by Depo. Mine actually arrived in a Depo box.

Depo is one of the go-to suppliers for cheap replacement parts that body shops use in place of OEM. A lot of people consider Depo parts to be "fake" since body shops will sometimes charge you or your insurance company for OEM and substitute Depo to make more money. They seem to be generally okay, although I've read that they have more QA issues than genuine OEM.

So with Depo already being the fake parts supplier, and Depo being the manufacturer for Tom's, I wouldn't expect to see many fake Tom's parts. If anybody were going to fake them, it would be Depo. They would just run the same parts without the Tom's stickers and sell them out the other door of the factory.

I would try to test the tail lights before buying. They seem to have a problem with LEDs failing, so these "new" parts may be returns.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 10:28 PM   #9
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
As has been mentioned, Tom's parts are manufactured by Depo. Mine actually arrived in a Depo box.

Depo is one of the go-to suppliers for cheap replacement parts that body shops use in place of OEM. A lot of people consider Depo parts to be "fake" since body shops will sometimes charge you or your insurance company for OEM and substitute Depo to make more money. They seem to be generally okay, although I've read that they have more QA issues than genuine OEM.

So with Depo already being the fake parts supplier, and Depo being the manufacturer for Tom's, I wouldn't expect to see many fake Tom's parts. If anybody were going to fake them, it would be Depo. They would just run the same parts without the Tom's stickers and sell them out the other door of the factory.

I would try to test the tail lights before buying. They seem to have a problem with LEDs failing, so these "new" parts may be returns.
um, depo is NOT just an aftermarket/fake parts supplier. they do manufacture housings for OEMs in some cases.

depo does have a separate division that does aftermarket housings for other vehicles...

this is like saying "because toyota makes the camry, all their vehicles are tan, 4-door, bland econo-boxes"
Old 08-01-2020, 03:19 AM   #10
extrashaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
um, depo is NOT just an aftermarket/fake parts supplier. they do manufacture housings for OEMs in some cases.

depo does have a separate division that does aftermarket housings for other vehicles...
So sometimes they supply real parts, and sometimes they supply fake parts.

It's hard to imagine that anybody else would fake Tom's parts, when Depo has all the necessary experience to fake them themselves.
Old 08-02-2020, 02:11 PM   #11
extrashaky

Let me expand on my experience with Tom's.

I bought mine brand new in the box. I didn't realize at the time that they were manufactured by Depo until they showed up in a Depo box.

Within weeks the black interior plastic started melting away from the top, creating a hole on each side that allows light to escape.

Within a year the first LED stopped working. Four years later I have several dead LEDs.

I expect to replace the entire housings within the next year. I'll probably put them on the marketplace for $20 in case anybody wants them for parts to fix their own shitty Tom's lights.

While they looked fantastic when new, the quality of this shit is about what I would expect from cheap knock-off Depo lights. The problem is that you pay a premium for the Tom's name that isn't justified by the quality.

So again, why the hell would anybody fake Tom's tails when the original quality is shitty and cheap already? Knock-offs from Alibaba may actually be better quality than the "originals."

Tags
replica, tom's