follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 04-28-2014, 09:58 AM   #1121
robwbright

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited WRB Phantom ESC 1.5
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
Better to be safe then sorry. I would.
Sojhinn, you've been very helpful to me on the forum. Do you have any thoughts on whether or not it's worth it to have the cricket TSB done?
1997 Honda Accord Coupe
1995 Honda Prelude VTEC
robwbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:31 AM   #1122
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwbright View Post
Sojhinn, you've been very helpful to me on the forum. Do you have any thoughts on whether or not it's worth it to have the cricket TSB done?

What's the latest TSB? When I tried swapping my fuel pump for my crickets the tsb had changed to cover only two specific months of production and I was declined.

Also the success rate is about 50/50 on the swap last time I checked so your call.

If it was me I would try.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:36 AM   #1123
robwbright

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited WRB Phantom ESC 1.5
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
What's the latest TSB? When I tried swapping my fuel pump for my crickets the tsb had changed to cover only two specific months of production and I was declined.

Also the success rate is about 50/50 on the swap last time I checked so your call.

If it was me I would try.
As far as I know, the attached is the most recent TSB. What I've read on it is that the crickets often seem to go away after the fix... and then come back several thousand miles later. Which seems pretty similar to what happened on the new cars.

Service calls are quite inconvenient for me as the nearest Subaru dealer is about an hour away - so if it's pointless, I'd rather not.

On the other hand, it's a new part for the engine regardless of whether or not the crickets go away.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Crickets.pdf (435.6 KB, 243 views)
1997 Honda Accord Coupe
1995 Honda Prelude VTEC
robwbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:37 AM   #1124
sprintamx

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'm not sure how to seach for this precisely, but are there any direct comparisons of NVH / "smoothness" of engine performance on Stage 2 EL 91/93 octane OTS tunes vs the E85 EL tunes? I just loaded the E85 tune and the engine is quieter / smoother than the 91/93 octane Stage 2 EL tune. Is this common?

Thanks.
sprintamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:21 PM   #1125
mid_life_crisis

Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintamx View Post
I'm not sure how to seach for this precisely, but are there any direct comparisons of NVH / "smoothness" of engine performance on Stage 2 EL 91/93 octane OTS tunes vs the E85 EL tunes? I just loaded the E85 tune and the engine is quieter / smoother than the 91/93 octane Stage 2 EL tune. Is this common?

Thanks.
No personal experience with E85 myself but, if it helps any, I've seen that observation before.
mid_life_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:44 PM   #1126
Luckrider
My Other Ride's a Jeep

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
I run e85 almost exclusively now and it is certainly smoother/quieter than 93 octane gas. This is comparing stage 1 to stage 2 EL as my car is stock though.
Luckrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:48 PM   #1127
Insanity

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hey guys, i just got my OFT and currently run on just an intake and headerback exhuast so im using the stg1 tune. I love it so far, better response and feel in many ways, but i was just wondering what kind of gains everyone else was noticing, compared to my personal experience. Im also only about 6 weeks out until the catless header arrives and im very excited to run the stg2 and see what that brings. So question is how much of a difference is everyone feeling with just the stg1 tune they offer and then again going to a new header and running their stg 2 tune?
Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:19 PM   #1128
enwave
That headunit though...

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited SSM
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insanity View Post
Hey guys, i just got my OFT and currently run on just an intake and headerback exhuast so im using the stg1 tune. I love it so far, better response and feel in many ways, but i was just wondering what kind of gains everyone else was noticing, compared to my personal experience. Im also only about 6 weeks out until the catless header arrives and im very excited to run the stg2 and see what that brings. So question is how much of a difference is everyone feeling with just the stg1 tune they offer and then again going to a new header and running their stg 2 tune?

It's pretty significant, especially in the midrange where that infamous torque dip is. I will admit that I didn't fully appreciate it until I went back and drove a twin without the header and tune after a few weeks of driving mine. Now I'll never go back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
enwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:22 PM   #1129
1Cor10:23

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S (M/T)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If anyone is still looking for a mounting solution with an OBD splitter as well - just put up a new DIY here:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...90#post1704590

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
1Cor10:23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:37 PM   #1130
Insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by enwave View Post
It's pretty significant, especially in the midrange where that infamous torque dip is. I will admit that I didn't fully appreciate it until I went back and drove a twin without the header and tune after a few weeks of driving mine. Now I'll never go back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like the sound of that, and people have told me after you put some miles on the tune and and it settles and you get comfortable to the car to go drive a bone stock one to really feel the difference, super excited to try it out, thanks for you reply!
Old 04-29-2014, 02:01 PM   #1131
euroshowoff

Drives: 2015 Tacoma
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Has anyone else experienced a cel but when checking diagnostic information no fault codes show? Driving with cruise control, all of a sudden my cel came on, when stopped I check for codes to clear but my tablet said there were none "hurray"? Strangest thing...fired the car up multiple times cel is still on...

Old: 2013 Arengto FR-S
Current: 2015 Tacoma/2020 Sequoia Pro
Future: 2022 CWP Limited Est Delivery 06/22
euroshowoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:05 PM   #1132
sprintamx

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insanity View Post

Like many, I started with the OTS Stage 1 tune (91/93 octane). That tune is a very nice wake-up for the stock motor. A few months ago I moved to the Stage 2 EL tune, with a one-off catless EL header (supposedly the header used by Vishnu to program the EL maps) and a Nameless axle-back. The butt dyno did not indicate any dramatic difference from Stage 1, though the engine was definitely noisier with respect to the timing/valve/cam noise that's been reported/discussed elsewhere. Even so, the engine performed beautifully and was a credit to the chassis.

I've just moved to the Stage 2 EL E85 tune, and it's even better. Improved power aside, the motor is quieter and smoother, and feels more "refined."

Hope this helps.
sprintamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:39 PM   #1133
phrosty

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by euroshowoff View Post
Has anyone else experienced a cel but when checking diagnostic information no fault codes show? Driving with cruise control, all of a sudden my cel came on, when stopped I check for codes to clear but my tablet said there were none "hurray"? Strangest thing...fired the car up multiple times cel is still on...
Shiv has mentioned that transmission-sourced CELs are not currently scanned by OFT. I've ran into this myself. Maybe this is what you're seeing.
2013 Whiteout 6AT FR-S | Perrin Inlet Tube + 2.75" CAI | OpenFlash Header | P&L Catback | 4.88 Final Drive | Dialed in OFT 2.0x Stage 2 E85 | 18x8 Enkei Raijin + 225/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | 17x7 Stock + 215/45 Michelin X-Ice Xi-2
phrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:35 PM   #1134
Insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintamx View Post
Like many, I started with the OTS Stage 1 tune (91/93 octane). That tune is a very nice wake-up for the stock motor. A few months ago I moved to the Stage 2 EL tune, with a one-off catless EL header (supposedly the header used by Vishnu to program the EL maps) and a Nameless axle-back. The butt dyno did not indicate any dramatic difference from Stage 1, though the engine was definitely noisier with respect to the timing/valve/cam noise that's been reported/discussed elsewhere. Even so, the engine performed beautifully and was a credit to the chassis.

I've just moved to the Stage 2 EL E85 tune, and it's even better. Improved power aside, the motor is quieter and smoother, and feels more "refined."

Hope this helps.
Definitely, ive heard alot saying that e85 is smoother running and slightly quieter and more "on point" and lets face its, thats exactly what these cars are meant to do, be a great car that someone can feel like they have been connected to the road, and the car itself. Everyone reacts differently of course and its good to see everyones personal experience! Thank you!

Tags
#lolwut, divinecomedy, dopeandcashcabinet, free shiv now, goddamitimissedit, golden cage, i missed the show, looks good, missed the fun, omgbbq, shiv 2016, thefatandthefurriest