follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 12-01-2014, 09:00 AM   #1
toraider

Drives: Subaru
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question GTA Driving Schools

I bought my first RWD car (BRZ) with the intention of learning to drive better. I've been researching car control schools, HPDE, car clubs and lapping day events groups to make me a better daily and track driver.

Obviously, there are plenty of choices like:

SPDA CASC April Driving Clinic
Ian Law's Car Control
Hanson International
Etc.

The other consideration is to join a club as well and attend their events...

This year, I plan on a couple car control courses, a couple track days and a few Auto X events and possibly some lapping days.

I'm hoping to solicit some suggestions for courses/events/clubs I should consider joining and most importantly, why you are recommending them. Any insights would be appreciated.

toraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:04 AM   #2
ToyoburuBRZ

Drives: Black BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
It sounds like this kind of thing is pretty new to you so if you are able to afford some sort of HPDE, I would do that right away in the spring. I can't say which is better because I have never done one myself but I know that there are some good ones around here.

My next recommendation is to do AutoX events! This is what I grew up doing and this will teach you very good car control. It is really easy to find the limit at an autocross event. The one most people do around here is run by a group called PITL (Push It to The Limit). They do the event in a go station parking lot. So you typically wont ever get about 80km/hr. My personal favorite for AutoX events is through WOSCA (Western Ontario Sports Car Association). They run their events at Goderich Airport. I feel a lot more comfortable pushing my car at these events because there are no light poles or parking signs around, just open runways. Because of this the course is typically a lot faster as well hitting around 120km/hr on a typical course and laptimes of about 60 to 90 seconds depending on the amount of runway space we get. So if you're willing to drive a couple hours for an event then WOSCA is a must. I recommend doing a couple AutoX events to get to know the car before going to a track day.

For track days around here, you can't beat joining BRZWorld (you can find them on Facebook). This is a very tight group. We meet every Wednesday night throughout the summer and have weekend events at least a couple times a month. Some of these events are track days. This past year we did Cayuga, Shannonville, and Grandbend. We typically divide everyone up into three groups based on track experience so there's no need to worry about being blown out of the water by anyone on your first track day. Also, being a very tight group, we are very respectful of everyone and their cars. Everyone follows the track rules and we've never had an issue. I have heard stories of other track groups where this is not the case. So if you want to get into some lapping days next summer, this is a great group to do it with.

Final recommendation - keep your car fairly stock this summer. Specifically, keep your stock tires and suspension stock. The stock suspension setup is surprisingly good and the stock tires are really good to learn on. They are very forgiving and easy to find the limit on. The one thing you will probably want to upgrade after a couple events are brakes. At a minimum you will want performance pads.

Other than all that, enjoy yourself.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:31 AM   #3
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
IMO the best plan would be to do the SPDA clinic in April (which is advanced car control and autox) and then an HDPE school on a track.

CASC OTA runs a great school on the CTMP DDT, usually early May, which would be my suggestion.

The first SPDA clinic will get you comfortable with car balance, etc and then the OTA school will give you a chance to learn more of that as well as track experience.

I'll second the suggestion to stay on stock everything until after getting more experience. The most I would suggest changing would be the brake pads. Stock tires are fantastic for learning on, if you're really keen on schools pick up a used set of stock ones to burn through as well.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:19 AM   #4
drewbot
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S A/T
Thanked 1,452 Times in 752 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
I can definitely vouch for the SPDA day1/day2 of the driving clinic and the lapping day.

I ran all three events on stock tires, with the lapping day on wider wheels and better pads.

It was my first time in a street car to do any of the above, and with TC off, it was definitely a learning experience but still safe and controlled.

Best to save your money on upgrades until you know what it feels like bone stock. That way, you can at least appreciate the changes you are making rather than armchair comparing.
drewbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:11 PM   #5
wparsons

Garage
Nothing against the SPDA lapping days (especially since I was helping at both ), but a dedicated school will be a better learning environment than open lapping with some instruction. A dedicated instructor for 2 days vs different coaches for a single day.

I've done the OTA school, and I've heard really good things about the Hanson school as well.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:49 PM   #6
nick_318is

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ, 1991 BMW 318is
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Mosport is supposed to be a good track from what I hear and nearby. Might look at groups they have on the calendar and get hooked in with some of them. I drive a lot of events with the BMWCCA here, there is probably a Canadian version, they're open to everyone and typically offer good instruction.
nick_318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 04:00 PM   #7
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_318is View Post
Mosport is supposed to be a good track from what I hear.

what an understatement

both the Big Track and the newly paved DDC (Driver Development Center) are arguably the best tracks Ontario has to offer.

It has some of the most extreme elevation changes in the racing world, and one of the most challenging corners in all of the North American tracks.

A blind, super high-speed downhill sweeper.

simply cresting it at over 150kph the first time is enough to give you a week's worth of adrenaline.

any school day at the big track requires the utmost respect for the track, but will reward you with insane levels of euphoria
nick_318is (12-01-2014), RFB (12-02-2014), ToyoburuBRZ (12-01-2014), wparsons (12-02-2014)
Old 12-02-2014, 10:54 AM   #8
wparsons

Garage
OTA is also running a single day school at Calabogie next summer, definitely worth checking out!
Old 12-03-2014, 09:19 AM   #9
JERM^

Drives: WRB BRZ Aozora 15'
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
In exact same situation as OP. Subscribed.
JERM^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:12 AM   #10
BatStig
Some say.....

Drives: 2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'm a big fan of Hanson. I've done eight days with them. The instructors are great. Getting to learn from Derek in the classroom is worth the price of admission by itself! I finally got the chance to take a ride with Peter Hanson at the October school. That was a life altering experience!
BatStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:14 AM   #11
that_guy
Dances with Cones

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
^Ditto. Only 2 days under my belt with them but was a great experience during both. Very safe and informative.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:06 PM   #12
toraider

Drives: Subaru
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the suggestions and feedback thus far. I'd be interested to hear any feedback on the Ian Law Car Control School, if any. Their courses look interesting and expensive.

Will definitely keep the car stock this year and already have an extra set of stock tires.

I'll sign up for SDPA 2 Day course in April, do a few Auto X weekends before I venture onto the track later in the summer and I'll try to check out BRZWorld, although I'm not on FB...
toraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 04:23 PM   #13
brzr

Drives: 2013 frs
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
what everyone said

i've done some, and still want to do some other.....i have so much more to learn

my first step was the skid control school in oakville.......it was a two day thing, and loads of fun.....except you drove their cars.....so if i could go back i would probably skip that one

the next one was ian law advance winter driving in minden.....it was in my frs, and i felt this is where i learned what some of the limits were
then i did the spda clinic, then the track, than some more autox.....found out what i like, and next year i'll sign up for some more

here's a video from the ian law school.......it's the figure 8, normally there isn't that much ice, but the day before we had some rain, and the course turned into a rink
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0Rkac3LgHU&list=UUMKeqH9eNKltLeo6_8iiCqg"]ILR car control school - YouTube[/ame]
The Following User Says Thank You to brzr For This Useful Post:
wparsons (12-06-2014)