follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-06-2014, 01:20 AM   #57
n0m0h0s

Drives: #2148 frs 10 series
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to n0m0h0s
13' FRS came in to my dealership and complained about grinding noise when down shifting from 6th to 5th gear above 50 MPH. Although just a lube tech the shop foremen asked me to test drive with the customer because I own one and can compare (ah yeah!) to what is normal. After verifying the customers complaint I reported back to my shop foreman and we created a TAS case so Toyota can decide what to do. Right away they condemned the transmission and recommended we replace it. In my 3 years here I only seen 1 transmission being torn apart to replace synchros and that's on the first gen TC 3rd gear synchro.

Anywho, it's a good idea to let your dealership know right away about your issues while it's still under warranty. From what I have read here I would advise all of you, if that dealership doesn't help you, go to another dealership. Dealerships are not all the same, and if you are lucky enough to go to a dealership where one of the techs own a FRS, pretty sure you will be taken care of. I know if you came to mine, it would get treated with as much care as if it were my own

P.S. Don't update your cars computer if u experience RPM drops at idle, the reflash will slow your throttle response. >_<
n0m0h0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:34 AM   #58
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I've put over 10,000 miles on my new transmission and it still works flawlessly. I think they quietly make some improvements to the new ones.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:47 PM   #59
Cal3000

Drives: Panda FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I've had the same issue going from 4th to 5th. I did a transmission fluid flush and it went away.
Delicious Tuning
Cal3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:43 PM   #60
NowImaBeliever

Drives: '21 Crosstrek, '96 SVX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just got my BRZ back from the dealer after having the high-pressure fuel pump replaced (again,) front struts, a torn shift boot, and having the transmission and rear diff fluids replaced.

Today I noticed for the first time the resistance/scrunch while down-shifting from 6th to 5th at around 55mph. I always blip the throttle between downshifts and thought maybe I didn't have the clutch fully disengaged. But it happened again on the way home tonight.

Since the Subaru tech (who is a friend of mine) was working on the car, I was thinking maybe when he reassembled the shifter, perhaps something didn't go back together quite right, since the car was fine before-hand. But after reading this thread, maybe I should bring the car back. I'll take the shifter console off and take a peek either way. Current mileage is 17,600.
NowImaBeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:18 PM   #61
Cridland

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
i have the same problems as well, going into fourth at high rpms, 5th at high rpms and downshifting into fifth over 100km. just hit 30000km on my car. Took it to toyota and they said they are wanting to change my oil and take a sample but havent been able to find transmission oil for over a month now? and its getting worse
Cridland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:43 PM   #62
86Tony

Drives: 2015 AOZORA EDITION
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Your lucky my car is 2015 with only 12.000km with a 4 gear grind took it to subaru of willowdale they felt the grind and they won't fix it saying it's operater failure. I had this issue since the first time I redline my car. Had a front pipe on my car and told me they could void my warrenty for that, long story short they gave me no choice and I have to replace the tranny out of my own pockets 3k down the drain and it still there at the dealership for more then a month now. still waiting for the tranny to arrive. Honestly fuck subaru to tell you the truth. While I have friends that brought it to scion with all kinds of mods and they replace it no question ask.
86Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:22 PM   #63
NowImaBeliever

Drives: '21 Crosstrek, '96 SVX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Tony View Post
Your lucky my car is 2015 with only 12.000km with a 4 gear grind took it to subaru of willowdale they felt the grind and they won't fix it saying it's operater failure. I had this issue since the first time I redline my car. Had a front pipe on my car and told me they could void my warrenty for that, long story short they gave me no choice and I have to replace the tranny out of my own pockets 3k down the drain and it still there at the dealership for more then a month now. still waiting for the tranny to arrive. Honestly fuck subaru to tell you the truth. While I have friends that brought it to scion with all kinds of mods and they replace it no question ask.

That is just unacceptable. I would go to another dealership if possible and ask to go for a ride with a technician. Front pipe aside, you should not have to wait over a month for a new transmission, let alone pay out of pocket. I would write to Subaru at the very least.
NowImaBeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 05:12 AM   #64
olsonpg

Drives: BRZ. R34 GT-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowImaBeliever View Post
That is just unacceptable. I would go to another dealership if possible and ask to go for a ride with a technician. Front pipe aside, you should not have to wait over a month for a new transmission, let alone pay out of pocket. I would write to Subaru at the very least.
Do this. Do NOT pay the 3k your just throwing your money down the drain. I had the exact same problem that started a month ago. Took it to my closest Subaru dealership, no questions asked they called me an hour later and said they were swapping the tranny and that one was already on the way.

16,000 miles on a 2013.

ITs dealership by dealership. You just have to take it to a different one. OR write headquarters, print off this whole thread, and say that the dealership is shady and their customer service is taking advantage of you making you never want to buy another Subaru ever. Companies honestly care a lot about situations like this. They want you to be a happy customer it might surprise you how much they are willing to do to retain you. And they DEFINITELY want to know if one of their dealerships aren't doing things by the book and is pushing customers away/causing unhappy customers/or just plain not doing their jobs correctly. Try not to blame Subaru as a whole for this experience. You definitely should get a response and that dealership might get reprimanded. And take it to a different Dealership! Please. Walk in there and just get your car back.

Cheers
olsonpg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th gear, grinding, new transmission, transmission issue