follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-24-2017, 09:41 PM   #15
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terruko View Post
I’ve heard of people getting all the TRD accessories, extended warranty and other stuff added for basically free, I’ve talked to a couple dealers and they barely wanna take $300 off the price.

Talking about a new 86 by the way.
Welp, Terruko, over the past 60 years I have bought several vehicles. Most were new, some were used. Most were from dealerships.

I have financed them, paid cash for them, have had trade in cars and no trade in cars.

Every time, I just know, they screwed me ....... I just couldn't figure out HOW!

Now, at age 74, since I only buy a new car about once every 10 years, I have just quit trying to figure out how they are screwing me and just drive my new car off and enjoy it ........

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:55 PM   #16
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolioBenzina View Post
Understood, which is why they are happy to sell you as much crap as they can.

However, here's 30K cash. I'll take that car right there and trade you this. No? Bye.

Added: Op want's to negotiate. Cash always helps.
Cash does not help make car sales. They make way more on financing than they do for the car.They hate cash sales. This is what my wife does for a living and believe me they make serious money on financed deals.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:01 PM   #17
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolioBenzina View Post
Which is very different than "I’ve heard of people getting all the TRD accessories, extended warranty and other stuff added for basically free."
It is exactly what he was saying. I got a bunch of stuff for basically free.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:18 PM   #18
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Our definition of "basically free" is not the same, then.
PetrolioBenzina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 11:23 PM   #19
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: GR Corolla
Thanked 3,017 Times in 1,859 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
No wonder you WERE a car salesman .......

humfrz
Yup, I went from enjoying it, to despising it. People these days are unrealistic and rude, unlike when I first started. People back then were more polite and thankful. The last two months of the 3.5 years I worked there, I had people waste 3 hours of my time on test drives and me teaching them every single damn feature of the vehicle, only to find out they gave me a fake number and fake email address. Either that or they told me thanks for teaching them everything, but they bought elsewhere. Like WTF people!? I even had people yell at me saying that I didn't need to know their name in order for me to address them, and to "just show me the car." I eventually stopped caring and snapped back at those rude people (didn't care if I was in front of my manager or not).
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kaotic Lazagna For This Useful Post:
humfrz (11-24-2017), Tcoat (11-24-2017), why? (11-25-2017)
Old 11-24-2017, 11:45 PM   #20
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Yup, I went from enjoying it, to despising it. People these days are unrealistic and rude, unlike when I first started. People back then were more polite and thankful. The last two months of the 3.5 years I worked there, I had people waste 3 hours of my time on test drives and me teaching them every single damn feature of the vehicle, only to find out they gave me a fake number and fake email address. Either that or they told me thanks for teaching them everything, but they bought elsewhere. Like WTF people!? I even had people yell at me saying that I didn't need to know their name in order for me to address them, and to "just show me the car." I eventually stopped caring and snapped back at those rude people (didn't care if I was in front of my manager or not).
Oh, please don't take me wrong, I didn't mean to open up any negative feelings about being a car salesman.

I was just digging at you when you said "this was on top of losing money on the sale of the car". .........

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Kaotic Lazagna (11-24-2017)
Old 11-24-2017, 11:53 PM   #21
humfrz

Quote:
How about if Tcoat would have said that he got a bunch of TRD stuff, at a deep discount ..... OK with that, @PetrolioBenzina .......??

Tcoat ....... OK with that .....??

humfrz
Old 11-24-2017, 11:55 PM   #22
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: GR Corolla
Thanked 3,017 Times in 1,859 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Oh, please don't take me wrong, I didn't mean to open up any negative feelings about being a car salesman.

I was just digging at you when you said "this was on top of losing money on the sale of the car". .........

humfrz
LOL. No worries at all. I'm just glad I got out of that biz.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaotic Lazagna For This Useful Post:
humfrz (11-25-2017), Tcoat (11-25-2017)
Old 11-25-2017, 12:20 AM   #23
Tcoat

Quote:
How about if Tcoat would have said that he got a bunch of TRD stuff, at a deep discount ..... OK with that, @PetrolioBenzina .......??

Tcoat ....... OK with that .....??

humfrz
Well let's look at the whole picture.
All numbers rounded for simplicity (and I don't remember the exact figures)
Base price of car was $30K (normal Canadian price not high).
Value of all extras was $5K (they were all things I would have done anyway)
Blue book trade in value of a 2012 Lancer GT in perfect condition with low mileage was $8K
Trade in for my beat to hell 100K Lancer was $10K so $2K above book for a good one. (front bumper was all smashed in from hitting a duck)
Paid $1K for all the goodies on the car.

So...
Car value was $35K with all extras.
I paid $31K
Subtract the $2K for the extra on the trade in since they could not lower the car price.
Total was $29K

Remember the base price was $30K so not only were the extras free I save $1K on that price.

Now we can make this even more complicated since my trade in should have been more like $6K so the price is now down to $27K.

To go even deeper (for anybody that made it this far) I still owed $8K over 3 more years on the Lancer. The loan for it was at about 3%. This was rolled into the FRS financing at .9% over 5 years. Too lazy to do the math but that is another big savings.
chaoskaze (11-25-2017), humfrz (11-25-2017)
Old 11-25-2017, 01:12 AM   #24
humfrz

Quote:
Well let's look at the whole picture.
All numbers rounded for simplicity (and I don't remember the exact figures)
Base price of car was $30K (normal Canadian price not high).
Value of all extras was $5K (they were all things I would have done anyway)
Blue book trade in value of a 2012 Lancer GT in perfect condition with low mileage was $8K
Trade in for my beat to hell 100K Lancer was $10K so $2K above book for a good one. (front bumper was all smashed in from hitting a duck)
Paid $1K for all the goodies on the car.

So...
Car value was $35K with all extras.
I paid $31K
Subtract the $2K for the extra on the trade in since they could not lower the car price.
Total was $29K

Remember the base price was $30K so not only were the extras free I save $1K on that price.

Now we can make this even more complicated since my trade in should have been more like $6K so the price is now down to $27K.

To go even deeper (for anybody that made it this far) I still owed $8K over 3 more years on the Lancer. The loan for it was at about 3%. This was rolled into the FRS financing at .9% over 5 years. Too lazy to do the math but that is another big savings.
OK, @PetrolioBenzina ........ ya got all that ...... ??

@Terruko see there, that's ........"how things work" .......

DANG! .....Tcoat, I thought @Ultramaroon "overthought" things ...... and now you go and "overexplain" things.....

You should be a car salesman, ....... by the time you were done with the customer ....... he would have thought he had stolen the car .......

OK, now @Cole ....... you're up ...... to tell us what kind of "deal" you got on that new phone .......

humfrz
Old 11-25-2017, 01:37 AM   #25
Tcoat

Quote:
OK, @PetrolioBenzina ........ ya got all that ...... ??

@Terruko see there, that's ........"how things work" .......

DANG! .....Tcoat, I thought @Ultramaroon "overthought" things ...... and now you go and "overexplain" things.....

You should be a car salesman, ....... by the time you were done with the customer ....... he would have thought he had stolen the car .......

OK, now @Cole ....... you're up ...... to tell us what kind of "deal" you got on that new phone .......

humfrz
I would tell the story of when we bought my wife's Impreza but I am not sure I understood what all went down. We agreed to everything with the salesman after a bit of back and forth then went in to see the finance guy.

Well since that is what she has done for about 20 years now we sat down and they started speaking total gibberish to each other. I sat through an hour of acronyms and shorthand trade speak that would make a bunch of engineers sound long winded and I am pretty sure they did some sort of secret handshake at the end of it all.

I don't know the details of the deal (I really had no clue what they were talking about) but in the end there were so many extras thrown in that I am pretty sure they ended up paying us to take the car off their hands.

The only thing I know for sure is that the damn thing has a free extended warranty that expires sometime around the same time as the sun is supposed to die.
why? (11-25-2017)
Old 11-25-2017, 01:53 AM   #26
humfrz

Quote:
I would tell the story of when we bought my wife's Impreza but I am not sure I understood what all went down. We agreed to everything with the salesman after a bit of back and forth then went in to see the finance guy.

Well since that is what she has done for about 20 years now we sat down and they started speaking total gibberish to each other. I sat through an hour of acronyms and shorthand trade speak that would make a bunch of engineers sound long winded and I am pretty sure they did some sort of secret handshake at the end of it all.

I don't know the details of the deal (I really had no clue what they were talking about) but in the end there were so many extras thrown in that I am pretty sure they ended up paying us to take the car off their hands.

The only thing I know for sure is that the damn thing has a free extended warranty that expires sometime around the same time as the sun is supposed to die.
Having met your lovely wife, I figure it was wise of you that you stayed out of it .....

humfrz
Attached Images

Last edited by humfrz; 11-25-2017 at 02:03 AM.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:10 AM   #27
Tcoat

Quote:
Having met your lovely wife, I figure it was wise of you that you stayed out of it .....

humfrz
The fun part was that after looking at 10 different makes and models of cars and small SUVs she only picked that one because it was the only thing that came in a colour she liked. Could just as easily been a Focus, Accent or Prius if they had the "best" colour.

Was more like
humfrz (11-25-2017), winstonscifi (11-25-2017)
Old 11-25-2017, 02:25 AM   #28
humfrz

Quote:
The fun part was that after looking at 10 different makes and models of cars and small SUVs she only picked that one because it was the only thing that came in a colour she liked. Could just as easily been a Focus, Accent or Prius if they had the "best" colour.

hmmm ....... maybe you could have saved some money by going to a different car dealership ......

humfrz
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-25-2017)