follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 03-10-2016, 10:37 AM   #1
JGalp

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Best Rearview Back Up Camera Q's

Hello all,

i was looking for a good rearview backup camera for my 2015 subaru brz (stock head unit). i want a good quality one which hopefully has the green red yellow tick marks to show how close i am getting and one that works well at night time as well. Ive looked at this one from FTEIGHTYSIX

http://www.fteightysix.com/new-produ...backup-camera/

http://www.fteightysix.com/oe/beat-s...ru-head-units/

Any suggestions? not necessarily looking for the cheapest option, i am more concerned with factory OE plug and play quality! thank you

John
JGalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:53 PM   #2
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I have a Rydeen Duo and it is pretty cheap (around $70) with solid construction. though, it is not exactly PnP since you have to drill a hole in your trunk garnish to mount it. They do sell a PnP harnesses though; I bought my harness at Auto Harness House for $30. you don't need a reverse trigger since the BRZ already has one from the factory.

my Rydeen Duo has noticeably better picture than my mom's GLK350 back up camera. I think it's one of the best priced cameras out there since the body is full metal and heavy, while the picture is great as well.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:32 PM   #3
lbroskee

Drives: 2023 WRB BRZ (MT)
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGalp View Post
Hello all,

i was looking for a good rearview backup camera for my 2015 subaru brz (stock head unit). i want a good quality one which hopefully has the green red yellow tick marks to show how close i am getting and one that works well at night time as well. Ive looked at this one from FTEIGHTYSIX

http://www.fteightysix.com/new-produ...backup-camera/

http://www.fteightysix.com/oe/beat-s...ru-head-units/

Any suggestions? not necessarily looking for the cheapest option, i am more concerned with factory OE plug and play quality! thank you

John
the harness you posted with the camera @ryoma posted is a solid setup. I've had if for 3 years and its worked on every radio from both cars (other then 2016 models) (don't ask why I've had so many different ones).

the BRZ radio has the lines built into the radio itself so you'll want to follow the instructions to disable the ones from the camera itself or you will get overlapping lines
lbroskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 02:42 PM   #4
phanguy

Drives: Scion FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
/http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SHUZTSI (the board isn't processing the link correctly for some reason.)

Big big big fan of this guy. I'm running it on a Homelink mirror though so I had to hack it up and solder connections, but this should be pretty much plug and play if you're using a factory headunit. You can disable the parking lines if you want in case the monitor you're using has it's own built in ones.
phanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:57 PM   #5
Gunman

Drives: 2019 Mazda Miata RF
Thanked 1,317 Times in 736 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanguy View Post
/http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SHUZTSI (the board isn't processing the link correctly for some reason.)

Big big big fan of this guy. I'm running it on a Homelink mirror though so I had to hack it up and solder connections, but this should be pretty much plug and play if you're using a factory headunit. You can disable the parking lines if you want in case the monitor you're using has it's own built in ones.
plug-n-play for the BRZ FUJITSU TEN unit?
Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:37 PM   #6
menikmati

Drives: 2015 BRZ, 2005 STI
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
I have a Rydeen Duo and it is pretty cheap (around $70) with solid construction. though, it is not exactly PnP since you have to drill a hole in your trunk garnish to mount it. They do sell a PnP harnesses though; I bought my harness at Auto Harness House for $30. you don't need a reverse trigger since the BRZ already has one from the factory.

my Rydeen Duo has noticeably better picture than my mom's GLK350 back up camera. I think it's one of the best priced cameras out there since the body is full metal and heavy, while the picture is great as well.
Same exact setup I use, works great.

Here is a link to the harness: http://www.autoharnesshouse.com/19867.html
menikmati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:04 PM   #7
phanguy

Drives: Scion FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunman View Post
plug-n-play for the BRZ FUJITSU TEN unit?
Not sure, but probably. Maybe this will be helpful:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65777
phanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phanguy For This Useful Post:
Gunman (03-11-2016)
Old 03-13-2016, 11:03 AM   #8
JGalp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbroskee View Post
the harness you posted with the camera @ryoma posted is a solid setup. I've had if for 3 years and its worked on every radio from both cars (other then 2016 models) (don't ask why I've had so many different ones).

the BRZ radio has the lines built into the radio itself so you'll want to follow the instructions to disable the ones from the camera itself or you will get overlapping lines
you have the exact same set up as the harness i posted with the redeem duo? do the instructions come with the camera on how to disable it? how accurate are the lines with the camera and doe sit work well at night? Thank you brotha!!
Old 03-13-2016, 11:05 AM   #9
JGalp

Quote:
Originally Posted by menikmati View Post

thanks bro!

is there a difference between this and the beat sonic harness i posted? or works exactly the same. and we don't need that extra 2 dollar reverse trigger correct? 2015 brz
Old 03-13-2016, 11:37 AM   #10
menikmati

Drives: 2015 BRZ, 2005 STI
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
thanks bro!

is there a difference between this and the beat sonic harness i posted? or works exactly the same. and we don't need that extra 2 dollar reverse trigger correct? 2015 brz
They both function the same. The harness I purchased included a 6-volt relay and looked more well-constructed compared to the Beatsonic harness and was cheaper.

You don't need the reverse trigger.

The accuracy of the lines depends on your mounting location. I placed mine in the trunk fascia in the OEM location as per this thread:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17020

The lines aren't dead center, but if you use a reference (i.e. a curb or a parking block) you can adjust the lines so you can gauge your distance. I use my backup camera to gauge the distance of things to the rear and not for actual parking alignment.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=12

I set my lines more towards the bottom corner towards the right and I have it so that the red crosshair dead center to the reverse light and when it's aligned with a parking block, my car is 1 foot away.

The camera setup works great at night, as the reverse lights provide sufficient lighting for the camera to pickup. Night visibility may even be improved if you have brighter reverse lights.
menikmati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:50 AM   #11
lbroskee

Drives: 2023 WRB BRZ (MT)
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
you have the exact same set up as the harness i posted with the redeem duo? do the instructions come with the camera on how to disable it? how accurate are the lines with the camera and doe sit work well at night? Thank you brotha!!
Yes. It's just to wires that u connect together on it to disable the lines. The lines on the radio are adjustable but I don't even use em. U can see the edge of the bumper and I find that to b a better judge. I valet so not all cars have lines but all have bumpers
lbroskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:53 AM   #12
Aozora.BRZ

Drives: '15 WRB Series.Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Rydeen Duo's price, quality build and OEM looks can't be beat. I just installed it in my '15 BRZ and it is worth to go the extra mile and drill the hole for it in the stock location.

The red yellow green lines come from the head unit and can't be disabled, so you need a camera without guides or which allows you to disable them like the Duo.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:56 AM   #13
JGalp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aozora.BRZ View Post
Rydeen Duo's price, quality build and OEM looks can't be beat. I just installed it in my '15 BRZ and it is worth to go the extra mile and drill the hole for it in the stock location.

The red yellow green lines come from the head unit and can't be disabled, so you need a camera without guides or which allows you to disable them like the Duo.
so the stock location being on the left side if you are looking at the car from the rear? which harness did you use? the one from auto warehouse or the beat sonic one?
Old 03-17-2016, 02:07 AM   #14
JGalp

Quote:
Originally Posted by menikmati View Post

so you didn't need to spend the extra 2 bucks for the reverse trigger wire right? our cars already have it?