follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 12-10-2015, 09:32 AM   #1
g0odspeed

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Asphault
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Turbo vacuum line setup

Hey guys. New to the forced induction world but need a little help setting up my vacuum lines for my wastegate and BOV. This may be common knowledge, but I can't find anything that explains it well enoughfor me to understand and cx racing only has the photos to reference for install. All of which do not show vacuum line hook ups. If anyone has the cx racing turbo kit could you take some pics? Or could someone please share some knowledge on how these should be ran. I have a top and bottom port on both the wastegate and BOV. What connects to where and do I need to tap into the 1/8in fitting on the turbine housing to feed over to the gate? Thanks for any help.
g0odspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:43 AM   #2
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
I think there is a thread on here with the install instructions for all the turbo kits so maybe you can skim though those to find some clues?? I am not a turbo guy so I really don't know.

Name:  untitled.png
Views: 3685
Size:  68.0 KB
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to go_a_way1 For This Useful Post:
g0odspeed (12-10-2015)
Old 12-10-2015, 09:50 AM   #3
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0odspeed View Post
Hey guys. New to the forced induction world but need a little help setting up my vacuum lines for my wastegate and BOV. This may be common knowledge, but I can't find anything that explains it well enoughfor me to understand and cx racing only has the photos to reference for install. All of which do not show vacuum line hook ups. If anyone has the cx racing turbo kit could you take some pics? Or could someone please share some knowledge on how these should be ran. I have a top and bottom port on both the wastegate and BOV. What connects to where and do I need to tap into the 1/8in fitting on the turbine housing to feed over to the gate? Thanks for any help.
Normally you use the fitting on the turbo and send it to the bottom port of the wastegate leaving the top port venting. Then you take vacuum/boost signal from the back of the intake manifold for the BOV which should only have one port on it, but I don't know what cheap wastegate or BOV that kit comes witih.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:01 AM   #4
g0odspeed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Normally you use the fitting on the turbo and send it to the bottom port of the wastegate leaving the top port venting. Then you take vacuum/boost signal from the back of the intake manifold for the BOV which should only have one port on it, but I don't know what cheap wastegate or BOV that kit comes witih.
It's definitely not a Greddy. That's the next part I plan to swap out as soon as I catch up from the existing expenditures. Thanks for the information. Which on of those lines would you tee the boost gauge off of?
Old 12-10-2015, 11:03 AM   #5
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
It's definitely not a Greddy. That's the next part I plan to swap out as soon as I catch up from the existing expenditures. Thanks for the information. Which on of those lines would you tee the boost gauge off of?
Just keep an eye on your intake/throttle body for oil coming from the turbo. best to catch it early when it does fail.
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 02:01 PM   #6
BRZoomTX

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
'Sup fellow CX owner. Highly recommend reading through my thread here:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93994

As for the wastegate, there are two nipples included with the knock-off tial. Put one on the side, leave the top open. Run that line to the compressor where the brass fitting is. You'll likely need to call CX at this point because they do not include an actual fitting on the turbo, or at least they didn't on mine. There was a bolt in it on mine, but it was flat and closed. CX sent me a compressor fitting after going back and forth with a sales rep for 10 minutes before they finally sent me to a tech.

Make sure you run a restrictor on the oil feed line. Otherwise you'll have the same issue as me and you'll blow the turbo oil seals. The CX unit is a ball bearing and the feed line they provide gives way too much oil pressure.

It'll be this piece:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CXRacing-GT2...RSxM8h&vxp=mtr

Any other questions just tag me / check my thread. I covered the major issues there.
g0odspeed (12-10-2015)
Old 12-10-2015, 03:06 PM   #7
g0odspeed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZoomTX View Post
'Sup fellow CX owner. Highly recommend reading through my thread here:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93994

As for the wastegate, there are two nipples included with the knock-off tial. Put one on the side, leave the top open. Run that line to the compressor where the brass fitting is. You'll likely need to call CX at this point because they do not include an actual fitting on the turbo, or at least they didn't on mine. There was a bolt in it on mine, but it was flat and closed. CX sent me a compressor fitting after going back and forth with a sales rep for 10 minutes before they finally sent me to a tech.

Make sure you run a restrictor on the oil feed line. Otherwise you'll have the same issue as me and you'll blow the turbo oil seals. The CX unit is a ball bearing and the feed line they provide gives way too much oil pressure.

It'll be this piece:

Any other questions just tag me / check my thread. I covered the major issues there.

Much thanks for your reply!!! I have read through your thread and I gotta say your setup looks good bro! I will be sure to use the restrictor before I do anything. I will post a pi of the feed I let they gave me and it looks like it is reduced but I'll take your thoughts over their since they are of not help. I noticed a y adapter on the turbo. And in the pics it looks like both are heading towards this fitting. Does the wastegate and BOV run to this? And whether did you feed you boost gauge from. Sorry for all the questions. I could tap you brain for hours since I do not know very much about this subject. Lol!
Old 12-10-2015, 03:48 PM   #8
BRZoomTX

Quote:
Much thanks for your reply!!! I have read through your thread and I gotta say your setup looks good bro! I will be sure to use the restrictor before I do anything. I will post a pi of the feed I let they gave me and it looks like it is reduced but I'll take your thoughts over their since they are of not help. I noticed a y adapter on the turbo. And in the pics it looks like both are heading towards this fitting. Does the wastegate and BOV run to this? And whether did you feed you boost gauge from. Sorry for all the questions. I could tap you brain for hours since I do not know very much about this subject. Lol!
I ran a tee from the back of the manifold on the brake booster line. There is a metal connector pipe that you can safely remove to do this. It is held on by one bolt. I don't have a pic of the factory metal piece, but below is how I ran mine. Fully reversible with no cutting. The tee is a universal multi size, cut to fit tee from Autozone.

I also have a few install pics on Instagram. They might help - https://www.instagram.com/brzoomtx/

Old 12-10-2015, 05:51 PM   #9
g0odspeed

Garage
Quote:
I ran a tee from the back of the manifold on the brake booster line. There is a metal connector pipe that you can safely remove to do this. It is held on by one bolt. I don't have a pic of the factory metal piece, but below is how I ran mine. Fully reversible with no cutting. The tee is a universal multi size, cut to fit tee from Autozone.

I also have a few install pics on Instagram. They might help - https://www.instagram.com/brzoomtx/

Dude thank you so much. That helped me tremendously....
Old 12-10-2015, 06:30 PM   #10
g0odspeed

Garage
Quote:

It'll be this piece:

If this pic loads this is what they sent for the feed line adapter on the turbo
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2015, 08:17 AM   #11
GsxrMe

Drives: Late 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
If you have to zip tie any of the hoses coming from the Wastegate or the BOV please don't tighten them to much; as the zip tie may pinch the line and give you HUGE.... issues.
FBM Turbokit: GTX3076R - ECUTEK HRI FlexFuel tune - FBM 3" Turboback Exhaust - 550cc Injectors - Walbro 485 Fuel Pump - 4bar Map Sensor - FBM Oil Pan - ACT SB7-XTSS - AMSOIL all fluids - Forester XT Oil Cooler - Cusco engine, trans mounts - Whiteline rear differential bushings - Perrin shifter bushing - Firehawk 235/45/17 - AEM Failsafe
GsxrMe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GsxrMe For This Useful Post:
g0odspeed (12-11-2015)
Old 12-11-2015, 09:24 AM   #12
BRZoomTX

Quote:
If this pic loads this is what they sent for the feed line adapter on the turbo
Hmm. Honestly I'd have to look at mine again when I get my car back. I can't recall how wide that feed fitting is on mine. I just know my oil seals blew, and the oil restrictor got here after the car was already in the shop for other stuff. I went with a new turbo (plan from the start anyway) so hopefully they didn't throw out the old fitting.

I'll recheck mine for you when I can. I should have my car back next week at the latest. Here is a picture of the restrictor. Couldn't find a quarter, so its a Canadian $1 coin (similar size as a quarter) and a Dr Pepper can for reference. I couldn't find a tape measure either.

Ball bearing turbos need hardly any oil versus journal bearing. We took apart the CX turbo when it got here and it seemed more like a journal bearing, so I felt fine not running a restrictor. The seals blew during the first WOT pull in boost.
g0odspeed (12-11-2015)
Old 12-11-2015, 04:05 PM   #13
g0odspeed

Garage
Here is a reference pic with a quarter. It looks the same to me honestly. Haha!! Hopefully you will get you car back soon. I'm sure you miss it. I've been lucky to do all the work myself. Skunk2 ultra radiator made everything fit wrong on the turbo kit. Went with after market dans to solve most of the issues and a mushroom filter directly on the turbo. Full Blown oil pan for the return port and greater oil capacity. Hopefully it will be up and ready for tune in a couple weeks. I appreciate all the help you have been. Picked up the vacuume fittings today.
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2015, 12:40 AM   #14
BRZoomTX

Quote:
Here is a reference pic with a quarter. It looks the same to me honestly. Haha!! Hopefully you will get you car back soon. I'm sure you miss it. I've been lucky to do all the work myself. Skunk2 ultra radiator made everything fit wrong on the turbo kit. Went with after market dans to solve most of the issues and a mushroom filter directly on the turbo. Full Blown oil pan for the return port and greater oil capacity. Hopefully it will be up and ready for tune in a couple weeks. I appreciate all the help you have been. Picked up the vacuume fittings today.
Looks pretty similar really. I'd put my money on CX sending me the wrong oil feed fitting in the first place, as they said no restrictor was required.
g0odspeed (12-22-2015)