follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 06-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #141
BR33Z3

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I read that you were considering a clear bra, did you ever end up going with one? If so, would you mind PM'ing me with the info? I'm in GA as well and would like to find a good clear bra installer. TIA.
BR33Z3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:58 PM   #142
Grateful Dave
2nd 86 member

Drives: 2013 Asphalt AT FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Approaching the end of my first two weeks, I have to say my FR-S is meeting the (relatively realistic) expectations I had for it as a daily commuter.

The gas mileage as recorded in the OP continues to impress at 30.22MPG over 616 miles of mostly Atlanta commuting. That means there is some time at highway speeds, sometimes at city speeds and sometimes at a dead stop. Just to set a benchmark, I did some measurements this morning. It took me 50 minutes to get to work. Of that 50 minutes, a little of over 20 minutes was sitting at a dead stop at lights, behind traffic, etc. This morning was a little unusual as I would say its normally under 15 minutes of dead stop time. Still pretty doggone good.

In two weeks, the FR-S has "saved" me $42.34 in my commute over my previous DD, and that includes allowing for the difference in purchasing Premium vs. Regular fuel. If the FR-S used regular, the price savings would be $56.29.
Your mpg sounds great. Just what I'm looking for. I should get my AT Asphalt June 12.
So now that you have driven your FRS over 1000 miles, What do you think? How's that AT? I know it still is early to get a complete impression but you are farther along than when you first bought it. I know you are discovering more new things everyday about the car. Love to hear them:happy0180:
Grateful Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grateful Dave For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-03-2012)
Old 06-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #143
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful Dave View Post
So now that you have driven your FRS over 1000 miles, What do you think? How's that AT? ...
I'm very happy with the car as a daily commuter. The gas mileage is falling right into the range I had been looking for for my commuting time. The FR-S is also a great weekend car for just tooling around town, on the backroads or taking a road trip. As noted in my "junk in the trunk" thread, I see no issues with taking a vacation for two of a week or more in the car, even with having to pack some level of gear.

The AT is turning out to be 'as advertised', a very good (and in some ways better, more flexible) alternative to the MT. I do not believe anyone that makes a decision to go with it will be disappointed. It is not a MT, but most of the differences are good ones. I would have been happy with either, but I think for me the AT is a better choice if your primary goal is a daily driver.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Grateful Dave (06-03-2012)
Old 06-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #144
Grateful Dave
2nd 86 member

Drives: 2013 Asphalt AT FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm very happy with the car as a daily commuter. The gas mileage is falling right into the range I had been looking for for my commuting time. The FR-S is also a great weekend car for just tooling around town, on the backroads or taking a road trip. As noted in my "junk in the trunk" thread, I see no issues with taking a vacation for two of a week or more in the car, even with having to pack some level of gear.

The AT is turning out to be 'as advertised', a very good (and in some ways better, more flexible) alternative to the MT. I do not believe anyone that makes a decision to go with it will be disappointed. It is not a MT, but most of the differences are good ones. I would have been happy with either, but I think for me the AT is a better choice if your primary goal is a daily driver.
Thanks Dadhawk. Yes it will be my Daily Driver and I have chosen the AT. I did test drive the MT which was great, but it sounds like I made the right choice for my DD. Only nine more days until I get mine.
Grateful Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grateful Dave For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-03-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #145
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

New Best Reaction to Seeing Car

I had two great reactions to the car today.

First, I had a couple of guys in a hellaflush/slammed Lexus (I think it was an ES300) do a "fan" drive around the car today (covering all four sides) in the highway while the passenger took pictures. They were pretty cool about it, and left plenty of room. Gave me the thumbs up when they were done, which I returned.

Best reaction though was later in the day. I caused my first onlooker accident. A guy in a motorcycle repair parking lot was doing a slow speed U turn on a motard (I think it was a Honda 250, but not certain) saw the car and literally ran his bike into a curb watching me drive by. He turned right into the curb and dumped the bike. Fortunately, he was moving real slow and the bike was well used so no harm to rider or bike that I could tell.

So, is it weird that I think I now know how a supermodel feels when she walks by me and I do something stupid?

Also, updated gas mileage figures in the OP.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
cmspooner (06-21-2012), PERRIN_Chris (06-07-2012), Turbowned (06-13-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 09:28 PM   #146
pixel67

Drives: 13 Asphalt FRS AT
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Got to do my first emergency lane change yesterday.

I'm driving to work in the morning on I-285 in Atlanta when I detect the distinct smell of melting rubber. The truck in front of me pulls to the left lane, and there in front of me is a old Tercel doing 70MPH with a flat tire!

The driver either has no clue, or has decided she can't pull over. I can't believe she doesn't know because the tire is completely flat.

I'm thinking OK, I'll pull over to her right and wave her over. Unfortunately, there is a semi on both sides of me, no where to go. Just about this time, the tire decides to shred itself. Just as the tire completely leaves the rim, and heads straight back for me, I'm able to dodge left out of the way just in time to avoid the road alligator that used to be her tire bouncing past the right side of my car.

Lady is still clueless, now driving on the rim, sparks flying! I pull up, try to wave her over but she's got the 1 mile stare thing going out the window.

Fortunately, about that time a cop comes up behind her and pulls her over.

The good news is that she was unharmed and the FR-S survived the event.

I felt like stopping and saying "Really, Lady, you didn't think the fact that your ass end was dragging the ground there was a problem?"
gotta love driving in ATL! I am all too familiar with 285 and feel your pain. Too many idiots dodging in and out of traffic with cell phones stuck to their heads while eating a whopper...
pixel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pixel67 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-07-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 09:31 PM   #147
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixel67 View Post
gotta love driving in ATL! I am all too familiar with 285 and feel your pain. Too many idiots dodging in and out of traffic with cell phones stuck to their heads while eating a whopper...

Yea, I do it 80 miles a day. Its a special kinda love!
Old 06-07-2012, 09:39 PM   #148
pixel67

Drives: 13 Asphalt FRS AT
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
My son and i stopped by Mall of Georgia Toyota today and sat in an Argento AT. Both of us fell in love with this car and had to wipe our drool off the seat before leaving. Hope to tame the "tail of the dragon" with one of these before winter comes.
pixel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pixel67 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-08-2012)
Old 06-10-2012, 07:18 PM   #149
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

In the garage

Well, now that I'm more comfortable with the dimensions of the FR-S we found a place for it in the garage after all. Still don't let anyone get in the Mustang while its in the garage though!

Until I took this picture I didn't realize how much lower the FR-S is compared to the Mustang.

Also, next plan, put a floor in the garage, and repaint! Thinking of using something like RackDeck or TechFloor rather than paint. I'd be interested if anyone has any experience with either.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dadhawk; 06-10-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #150
terrypm
First86 & burning gas!!

Drives: Asphalt 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
When I am in my FR-S it feels like I am in a gocart. The Jeep is all stock....no lift kit.
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #151
roddy

Drives: '13 Ultramarine
Thanked 1,165 Times in 685 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Dadhawk, thanks for the comparison shot... mine will be sharing the shop with an '07 Mustang. Firestorm is a little darker than I thought. It makes the bright "torch red" on the Mustang look almost orange.
roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:14 PM   #152
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
Dadhawk, thanks for the comparison shot... mine will be sharing the shop with an '07 Mustang. Firestorm is a little darker than I thought. It makes the bright "torch red" on the Mustang look almost orange.
No problem. Plan on taking some more shots if it ever stops raining.

On the color, I'm not sure its not just the lighting. In person they don't look that much different to the eye. The Firestorm is a bit darker (I happen to like it better) but I really thought they were closer in color.

Here's a photo taken of them in daylight on the way home from picking up the FR-S.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dadhawk; 06-10-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #153
roddy

Drives: '13 Ultramarine
Thanked 1,165 Times in 685 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
It's not as noticeable in that pic.
roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:52 PM   #154
Juanito08

Drives: Scion Fr-s
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Good looking car! As for the accident it reminded me of this lol

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkjcGJ1UtDM&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Myhealthinsurance : Allstate TV Ad: Jogger Mayhem Call Now: 888-789-2134 - YouTube[/ame]
Juanito08 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Juanito08 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-11-2012)

Tags
dadhawk, first86