follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List
69gtojeff, CT86, gravitylover

Old 06-14-2021, 02:15 PM   #449
t0ast

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Vehicle Mileage: 100k (currently)
Vehicle Make: Scion FR-S
Mileage After Recall Performed: performed at around 85k, so ~15k miles ago
Symptom(s): One unexpected stall while pulling back into grid after its 4th run at an autocross, but it restarted and idled without issue immediately afterwards. Part-way through the next run it sounded harsh/ragged for about 5 seconds during a 2nd gear pull and then the engine failed hard. Remarkably, no CEL before or after.
Failure: Totally destroyed the contents of cyl. #3, punched hole in top of block, and other related carnage. Sealant material found in oil pickup during engine teardown.
State: Missouri
Is Dealership Offering Repair: No. Currently getting a new bottom end (and other parts that were damaged) at an independent shop.

More details:
Car drove without issue following the recall in early 2019, even surviving a full season of autocross. It then only saw a limited amount of normal driving during 2020 due to Covid. 2021 rolls around, the car gets an oil change, and resumes autocross. It survived the 90 minute drive to the venue and its first 4 runs, but not the 5th.

Towed to a local Toyota dealership that wasn't remotely interested in hearing that the recall might have been related to the failure, given the time since the recall and the usage of the car. Their engine replacement option also left a lot to be desired ($8k for a 60k mile engine of the same year with only a 90 day warranty... yeah, no). After hearing that, the car was transferred to known good, enthusiast-friendly indie garage. Surprise surprise, their teardown found quite a lot of sealant material in the oil pickup and other evidence of poor application. Pretty confident this led to its premature demise...

Some pics of the carnage and oil pickup:
https://i.imgur.com/FbFmY3T.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/HGRROrR.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/jpPDeRA.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ssZ9SEJ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/2tsUnhk.jpg

Last edited by t0ast; 06-15-2021 at 11:38 AM.
t0ast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to t0ast For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-14-2021), Lonewolf (10-17-2021), Tcoat (06-14-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 03:07 AM   #450
treedodger

Drives: 2022 GR86 (was 2013 BRZ)
Vehicle Mileage:115,000 miles
Vehicle Make: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mileage After Recall Performed: 15,000 miles, and 18 months
Symptom(s): Rod knock.
Failure: Runs, but makes bad noises
State: CA
Is Dealership Offering Repair: Work was done by Stevens Creek Subaru. I don't think I'll even try to get anything out of the dealership, given others experiences.
treedodger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to treedodger For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 09:33 AM   #451
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedodger View Post
Vehicle Mileage:115,000 miles
Vehicle Make: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mileage After Recall Performed: 15,000 miles, and 18 months
Failure: Runs, but makes bad noises
Is Dealership Offering Repair: Work was done by Stevens Creek Subaru. I don't think I'll even try to get anything out of the dealership, given others experiences.
Sorry to see that. Looks like even 15k miles past the recall procedure is not enough to be in the clear. Any warning signs before this? Also what oil were you using?

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 09:56 PM   #452
treedodger

Drives: 2022 GR86 (was 2013 BRZ)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Sorry to see that. Looks like even 15k miles past the recall procedure is not enough to be in the clear. Any warning signs before this? Also what oil were you using?
No warning sign, prior to the "ticking" sound of a rod bearing. Within 3 miles it went from noticeable to very bad. Oil pressure idiot light never came on.

I always ran 5W30 full synthetic and changed at 5k miles. I think Castrol this time.

In hind sight I wish I had installed an oil gauge with a warning light set to pressure higher than the idiot light, or at least pulled the pan after the recall to check the oil intake screen. It may be unrelated to the recall, but I'm highly suspicious given others experiences. Once out of the car, I'll pull the old engine apart and see if I find any smoking guns.

Aug 2021 UPDATE:
So I pulled the engine and inspected the oil pickup screen, and it was pretty clean. No large amount of sealant, just a few small bits. So no clear smoking gun of sealant in the oil, unless a lot of small bits made it through the oil pickup screen.
Replaced engine with 30k mile 2015 Junkyard engine, and we on the road again.

Last edited by treedodger; 09-25-2021 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Update
treedodger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to treedodger For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (07-01-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 11:29 PM   #453
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedodger View Post
No warning sign, prior to the "ticking" sound of a rod bearing. Within 3 miles it went from noticeable to very bad. Oil pressure idiot light never came on.

I always ran 5W30 full synthetic and changed at 5k miles. I think Castrol this time.

In hind sight I wish I had installed an oil gauge with a warning light set to pressure higher than the idiot light, or at least pulled the pan after the recall to check the oil intake screen. It may be unrelated to the recall, but I'm highly suspicious given others experiences. Once out of the car, I'll pull the old engine apart and see if I find any smoking guns.
I'm at 13.2k miles past the recall and have been running the engine hard the entire time (nearly all canyon and track days), but your post led me to try a UOA to see what kind of wear I'm seeing. I'll post back if I see anything unusual.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 07:03 PM   #454
Kazoku

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S
I don't know if this is the place and don't want to muck up the thread but I had engine failure not too long ago. Had my engine replaced with my personal mechanic because the dealership wanted too much money for a used engine with higher usage. In California the recall has triggered a registration blockage and I'm unaware of whether the recall was carried out on the donor engine.

I'll be heading into the dealership to have the new engine checked. Any advice?
Kazoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 10:10 PM   #455
FrickingReallySlow

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazoku View Post
I don't know if this is the place and don't want to muck up the thread but I had engine failure not too long ago. Had my engine replaced with my personal mechanic because the dealership wanted too much money for a used engine with higher usage. In California the recall has triggered a registration blockage and I'm unaware of whether the recall was carried out on the donor engine.

Was your donor engine also from 2013? if not then you should be in the clear.
Blackstone-labs also can analyze a small sample of your engine oil and for 30$ tell you all the contaminants. You can also ask them specifically to check for chemicals that would resemble "sealant" its only $30

Also how much was your engine + labor cost?
FrickingReallySlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 06:22 AM   #456
KriSD21

Drives: Ultramarine Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazoku View Post

How much did your personal mechanic charge to replace the engine and how much mileage was on it? I’m in California and have two mechanics searching for engines for me, haven’t heard back in a week.

Vehicle Mileage:105,000 miles
Vehicle Make: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mileage After Recall Performed: 7,000 miles. 11 months since Aug 2020.
Failure: Runs, but makes loud rattling noises. No check engine light. No oil light. Just loud knocking at start and throughout drive. Stopped driving it asap.
Is Dealership Offering Repair: No, they kept my car for a week to diagnose, but technician denies that it has to do with the recall. They mentioned possible oil starvation, but they’re the ones who just did my oil change a month ago. Dealership said they would need to open the engine to diagnose further, but they would have to charge me “a couple thousand” just to take engine apart and asked if it’s even worth it to fix? He said it’d be $9k to replace the engine. I can’t afford that. Towed the car home with my insurance and it’s a sitting duck. I avoided the J02 recall until California mandated it and withheld my registration until I got it done. Car was running fine before this. Daily commuter car, never autocrossed, barely drove this year working from home due to covid. Same dealership did a multipoint inspection, oil change and coolant change June 2021. Bought and installed new tires as recommended. Rod knock July 2021. Waste of brand new tires. What can I do? Is the repair under 12 month warranty if they deny it’s related to the recall? How can I prove it is related? What else would it be? Should I run it up the food chain at the dealership? I feel helpless and stranded without my one and only car.

Last edited by KriSD21; 07-31-2021 at 06:37 AM. Reason: details
KriSD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 02:33 PM   #457
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KriSD21 View Post
Should I run it up the food chain at the dealership? I feel helpless and stranded without my one and only car.
Don't know if this would work but this what I would do since it was under the warranty when it failed. Insist on talking to the corporate rep and also having the oil pan dropped to check the screen and pan for sealant. That's a sure fire sign it was the fault of the valve repair and doesn't require tearing the engine down.

You might also insist on a disinterested party doing that work, but that may involve you agreeing to drop the claim if the screen is clear.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 10:47 PM   #458
Baldoak
BRZ N02

Drives: 2013 A/T Subaru BRZ Limited, SWP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Is there any apparent correlation between post-recall failure and Toyota service technicians performing the work?

Custom handmade stickers
Baldoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 08:11 AM   #459
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldoak View Post
Is there any apparent correlation between post-recall failure and Toyota service technicians performing the work?
Well, 100% of the FRS failures were done by Toyota. Of course, 100% of the BRZ failures were done by Subaru techs.

There have been both.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
x808drifter (10-15-2021)
Old 12-16-2021, 06:03 PM   #460
Baldoak
BRZ N02

Drives: 2013 A/T Subaru BRZ Limited, SWP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Well, 100% of the FRS failures were done by Toyota. Of course, 100% of the BRZ failures were done by Subaru techs.

There have been both.
Wondering if perhaps there's a way to look at rate of failure between Subaru and Toyota techs doing the work just based on the responses here.

I took my '13 BRZ to the dealership I bought it from for the recall, and have since clocked an extra 40k miles, no issues related to the fix that I can tell. They service a lot of modified Subarus and I suspect they have techs that would know how carefully the RTV should be applied. I don't imagine Toyota techs have that same experience/knowledge in general.

Anyway, just wanted to add my thoughts. I'm probably repeating someone else.

Custom handmade stickers
Baldoak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Baldoak For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (12-16-2021)
Old 12-16-2021, 06:14 PM   #461
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
The mechanics at the dealerships aren't allowed enough time to do the sealant correctly in many cases hence the issues.
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 08:06 PM   #462
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldoak View Post
Wondering if perhaps there's a way to look at rate of failure between Subaru and Toyota techs doing the work just based on the responses here.

I took my '13 BRZ to the dealership I bought it from for the recall, and have since clocked an extra 40k miles, no issues related to the fix that I can tell. They service a lot of modified Subarus and I suspect they have techs that would know how carefully the RTV should be applied. I don't imagine Toyota techs have that same experience/knowledge in general.

Anyway, just wanted to add my thoughts. I'm probably repeating someone else.
When you consider the vast difference in numbers between how many FRS were sold vs how many BRZs the Toyota techs may well have MORE experience than the Subaru ones when it comes to the recall work. Keep in mind that the FA20 engine was rather different than the rest of the engines in the recall so being a Subie tech would have little advantage when it comes to the failure mode. If proper time and care was taken either group would have exactly the same chance at success.
Baldoak (12-29-2021), Dadhawk (12-16-2021)

Tags
fa20, failure, recall, spun bearing, subaru, toyota, valve spring