follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-01-2011, 10:23 AM   #113
DrunkenMime

Drives: IS300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
matadermis:

I think the selling point for subie's version will be more power and turbo. I'm still not sure if the Toyota/Scion model will have that much power. They may be shooting for a lighter, more nimble experience with that car where the Subie will be more of a sport touring/gt feel kind of like a Z. We'll just have to wait and see. I don't know if they will only use cosmetic changes to differentiate between the two...
DrunkenMime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:01 AM   #114
matadormi5

Drives: GTI MK5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calais View Post
UNDERLINED: umm youve just contradicted yourself there buddy your Ex. shows that even if the Subie version comes in RWD sales would be good because they want the Subaru badge??

BOLD: So let me get this right. What your saying is Subarus NEW smallest car should be a Legacy, yes?
Reread my comment, I say that Subaru DOES NOT have the badge power or badge following that a brand like Porsche does.

What good would having a car that fits none of the current Subaru ideals be? How are they going to market their line-up? "It's what makes a Subaru, a Subaru....except for that one."

The other Subaru stablemate, the STI is more comfortable and a far better daily driver than it's direct competitor, the Evo. I will put money on it that their 86 will follow the same philosphy. Never has safe and comfortable ruled out fun to drive.
matadormi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:04 AM   #115
matadormi5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenMime View Post
matadermis:

I think the selling point for subie's version will be more power and turbo. I'm still not sure if the Toyota/Scion model will have that much power. They may be shooting for a lighter, more nimble experience with that car where the Subie will be more of a sport touring/gt feel kind of like a Z. We'll just have to wait and see. I don't know if they will only use cosmetic changes to differentiate between the two...

Well yes, that's what I said. Subaru 86 will be more comfortable, safer, and a better daily driver HENCE a sports grand touring.

About the cosmetic differences being the ONLY differences, I'm just relaying info. I've read from different sources. Didn't say it was true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
*Note to old members here*
Be nice & don't flame him too much
Again, just relaying info here, from numerous different sources. Didn't say it was true, nor do I want it to be.

Now, if you have evidence or some inside knowledge that this won't be the case, that would be excellent.

Last edited by matadormi5; 02-01-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:20 AM   #116
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
dude, learn to multi-quote.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:00 PM   #117
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,060 Times in 8,330 Posts
Mentioned: 678 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matadormi5 View Post
Again, just relaying info here, from numerous different sources. Didn't say it was true, nor do I want it to be.

Now, if you have evidence or some inside knowledge that this won't be the case, that would be excellent.
First thing first, you're too closed minded looking only in US. Yes, currently in US, Subaru is only selling AWD cars. in Japan and other country in the world, Subaru do sell cars aren't AWD. Good example 1.5L Impreza which it comes with FWD or AWD and they've been doing this for long time, so don't think that Subaru can't make other drivetrain cars.

Secondly, who said FT86 is only co-joined work? Recent joined work they have done is Toyota bB (US, Scion xB) and Subaru Dex. Subaru Justy is another good one. One point, they had Subaru Justy, Daihatsu Boon, Toyota Passo & Perodua MyVi they were all same chassis with very few cosmetic difference. FT86 is their first joined Sports car, so don't mistake or assume. It might be sound stupid ass decision in your opinion. They have been doing these kind of stuff long time and they're doing well, so why they need to listen to you for this new joined work? I'm not saying disagreeing with you, but they have proven that it works for several years, so there's no point to stop now.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:13 PM   #118
cyde01
ft86club resident b-boy

Drives: Yamaha R3, moonslate 2018 GT Black
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
do we really have to do the rwd vs awd thread for the 1000th time? if you wanna talk about an awd version do it in the awd vs rwd thread.
cyde01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:19 PM   #119
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Well yes, that's what I said. Subaru 86 will be more comfortable, safer, and a better daily driver HENCE a sports grand touring.

About the cosmetic differences being the ONLY differences, I'm just relaying info. I've read from different sources. Didn't say it was true.

Grand touring coupe? Something like SC430? Heavy as*, big dimension? Need retractable roof?

I think both companies want something that is small and light with enough power to go around the track. No?
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:45 PM   #120
matadormi5

Quote:
First thing first, you're too closed minded looking only in US. Yes, currently in US, Subaru is only selling AWD cars. in Japan and other country in the world, Subaru do sell cars aren't AWD. Good example 1.5L Impreza which it comes with FWD or AWD and they've been doing this for long time, so don't think that Subaru can't make other drivetrain cars.

Secondly, who said FT86 is only co-joined work? Recent joined work they have done is Toyota bB (US, Scion xB) and Subaru Dex. Subaru Justy is another good one. One point, they had Subaru Justy, Daihatsu Boon, Toyota Passo & Perodua MyVi they were all same chassis with very few cosmetic difference. FT86 is their first joined Sports car, so don't mistake or assume. It might be sound stupid ass decision in your opinion. They have been doing these kind of stuff long time and they're doing well, so why they need to listen to you for this new joined work? I'm not saying disagreeing with you, but they have proven that it works for several years, so there's no point to stop now.
I never said that Subaru only makes AWD cars, only that they are famous for it. Like Audi and quattro, but they have fwd offerings too. I'm sure in Japan they offer FWD, but the brand is probably still known for their AWD. Sure in Japan a RWD Subaru might work, but I am/will only talk about the US market because that's the one I buy out of. Next time I'll specify.

Didn't say the 86 was their first or only joint project.

Badge engineering (have only small cosmetic differences) almost never ends well if the cars are sold in the same market. In the USA, GM, the king of badge-engineering, did it like crazy and they loss so much money and even filed for bankruptcy. Buyers are smart and will catch on eventually, especially if the cars aren't too great to begin with. There are good examples too though, Holden Monaro and the Pontiac G8. Same great car with different bumpers but sold in separate markets.

I predict that Toyabaru's luck will run out soon if they keep re-badging mainly small economobiles (with exception of the 86), especially if they do it in the USA. Opinion obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
Grand touring coupe? Something like SC430? Heavy as*, big dimension? Need retractable roof?

I think both companies want something that is small and light with enough power to go around the track. No?
Grand touring coupe. Ever hear of the Aston Martin DBS, Jag XK, Maserati GranTurismo, Ferrari 612 or even even the Nissan GT-R can be considered a sort of GT coupe. All these cars are a bit on the heavy side b/c of comfort features but drive wonderfully still.

The SC430 was this dull boulevard cruiser. A real GT car just needs power, be a 2+2, and look good. No need for a folding roof.

You may be right about Toyota and Subaru wanting both to be light track mobiles, we'll just have to wait and see really.

Last edited by matadormi5; 02-01-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:17 PM   #121
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,060 Times in 8,330 Posts
Mentioned: 678 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
I never said that Subaru only makes AWD cars, only that they are famous for it. Like Audi and quattro, but they have fwd offerings too. I'm sure in Japan they offer FWD, but the brand is probably still known for their AWD. Sure in Japan a RWD Subaru might work, but I am/will only talk about the US market because that's the one I buy out of. Next time I'll specify.
Really...

If you only stick to Subaru = AWD, then please buy Toyota instead. Yeah, I wish for new AWD coupe from Subaru, but that doesn't mean they cannot make RWD coupe car. It's like saying Porsche can only use H6 engine.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:46 PM   #122
matadormi5

Quote:
Really...

If you only stick to Subaru = AWD, then please buy Toyota instead. Yeah, I wish for new AWD coupe from Subaru, but that doesn't mean they cannot make RWD coupe car. It's like saying Porsche can only use H6 engine.
...are you really telling me that Subaru is not known for having AWD? It's like saying Audi is not known for having Quattro.

I know there are non-awd Subarus. I never said that the Subaru 86 MUST have AWD only that it SHOULD have it to differentiate the two.

Nice pictures, but it's a little overkill.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:18 PM   #123
70NYD

Drives: RX8 S1
Warning warning troll alert troll alert
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and here is myn matadormi5: your a fucking troll.. You have absolutely no idea what your talking about and the worst part is you think your 100% right... NO, BAD! if I could I'd rub your nose in it like you do to a dog that just shat itself.. Now I'm sure your special needs can be met somewhere, but just because you like the way the concept looks doesn't mean it will be tailored for you.. 86 is the affordable Elise..
Learn what badge engineering is
Suby has a big enough following to sell anything (example the latest impreza is butt ugly..) and awd is overkill and not necessary
I could go on and on but your a troll and this is pointless
Old 02-01-2011, 06:45 PM   #124
matadormi5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70NYD View Post
Warning warning troll alert troll alert
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and here is myn matadormi5: your a fucking troll.. You have absolutely no idea what your talking about and the worst part is you think your 100% right... NO, BAD! if I could I'd rub your nose in it like you do to a dog that just shat itself.. Now I'm sure your special needs can be met somewhere, but just because you like the way the concept looks doesn't mean it will be tailored for you.. 86 is the affordable Elise..
Learn what badge engineering is
Suby has a big enough following to sell anything (example the latest impreza is butt ugly..) and awd is overkill and not necessary
I could go on and on but your a troll and this is pointless
Badge engineering: selling the same vehicle under a different brand with relatively little or no mechanical changes. Hence, if the Toyota 86 only has different bumpers than the Subaru 86, it will be a badge engineered car. Doesn't have to be a bad thing, Pontiac G8 and Holden Monaro was great.

Way to practice blind hate. I said the same thing as your Elise comment.
Quote:

I assume Toyota's RWD 86 will be for the driving purist, a person who would die to have a $20k Lotus.
Yeah I like the concept, I like the idea of a car with a great fun/$$$ ratio, I like that Toyota is getting back into the sports car business with the help of Subaru.

This is forum is all about speculation and wishful thinking, no one knows the exact details about this car. Why can't I say what I would like to see?

If it doesn't work for me, I won't buy one. Fine.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:32 PM   #125
cyde01
ft86club resident b-boy

Drives: Yamaha R3, moonslate 2018 GT Black
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
i don't think it's blind hate when everyone agrees that you're a troll. we've already been through this argument a million times, if you want to continue that argument do it in the appropriate thread. otherwise, you're a troll.
cyde01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:43 PM   #126
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ft-86 concept, ft-86 ii concept, toyota ft-86 ii