follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-30-2013, 10:42 PM   #43
jdubious

Drives: 13 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My car won't really downshift into first until its warmed up. Then there is a low speed sweet spot where it pops right in. Personally I like to have it in 1st gear right before I come to a complete stop in case the light suddenly changes or something. Teach yourself to downshift smoothly through the gears, it will become second nature. Don't rely on just brakes or downshifting, use a combination of both. The trick is to come to a stop as smoothly as possible. If you can master that there is no need to worry about wearing out parts prematurely, you can get your better mileage and keep your options open at all times.

If you are wearing out your clutch noticeably faster by downshifting....you aren't doing it right. If you constantly drive your car hard expect to replace parts of all kinds.

in 21 years of driving i've never owned an automatic nor have i ever worn out a clutch. I've done plenty of stupid shit in my early years and have had a couple of vehicles with over 200k. Personally, I think the clutch wear argument is as invalid as the brake wear one.
jdubious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:17 PM   #44
ZXTT95

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited 6MT DGM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
Actually I think our automatic Yaris does this. I've been wondering if theres inclinometers and some magic going on as sometimes ill notice on a decline and I just tap the brakes it'll downshift. Need to tap the brakes though, if I just coast it'll go along at current gear.
My MDX does something like this, and it certainly seems like engine braking to me. With MT, however, I would in almost all cases rely on brakes only.
ZXTT95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
downshifting, first gear, manual, shifting