follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 08-21-2022, 12:55 PM   #4621
ABQautoxer

Drives: 2021 Supra / 2022 Tundra
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Have you tried the full idle relearn process after flashing? My tuner had me do basically exactly what this guy details in the video below every time I flashed. One time I was in a hurry and didn't do it and the idle would hunt pretty badly with AC on so I reflashed and followed it again and the car is fine.

Jerr (08-21-2022)
Old 08-21-2022, 12:57 PM   #4622
snowtaipan

Drives: '17 BRZ Series Yellow Edelbrock SC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerr View Post
Hey friends,

I've been having really strange idle issues specifically on radiator fan kick that I can't seem to diagnose. I tried a new tune which sort of band-aided the problem, but I didn't have this issue before on my tune which leads me to believe it's a mechanical or electrical issue.

The behavior: when the car is hot and idling and the thermostat calls for fans to kick on, the idle dips from the normal ~900 to 450 (almost stalling) and back to 1300, then back down to 450, over and over until the fans turn off. When the fans are off, everything goes back to normal. While this is occuring, I can see STFT jump around from -2 to +20 and AFR going all over the place. Interestingly, if I manually turn on the radiator fans by turning on the AC, the car compensates properly and idle sits at around 1000 stable. This problem is able to be replicated.

Things I have replaced/done:
-Checked for vacuum leaks (tune logs also show none)
-New battery optima yellowtop
-Checked that alternator is working (battery is charging properly)
-New OEM MAF sensor
-New OEM front O2
-New OEM PCV Valve
-Throttle body is still fairly new since ~1 year ago
-Air intake/filter parts completely cleaned
-Fresh flash of stable tune from when car was originally "dialed in"

Does anyone have any ideas of what might physically be wrong? I figured maybe fans drawing too much amperage but the same issue would also persist when AC was turned on, right?

Thanks all!
So I'm just spitballing, but you might want to do the VVT and idle relearn steps, and reinforce the grounds for the alternator, engine to frame, and radiator. All should be cheap fixes and have no repercussions
snowtaipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 01:26 PM   #4623
Jerr

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S / Edelbrock SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtaipan View Post
So I'm just spitballing, but you might want to do the VVT and idle relearn steps, and reinforce the grounds for the alternator, engine to frame, and radiator. All should be cheap fixes and have no repercussions
For idle relearn, I was under the impression that when ECUtek flashed a fresh tune and cleared everything, it already did this process for you. Zach has never specifically recommended doing anything with battery disconnects, though I could try that.

I edited my post a little, I noticed that counterintuitively, MAF and MAP readings increase as idle dips rather than decrease, which tells me their signals are being misinterpreted unless I am not understanding how those readings work. Idle goes from 900 to 600, but MAP reading goes from .3bar to .45bar, which is the opposite of how the supercharger should be functioning.

I will check those grounds and make sure everything is still tight and wired up.
Jerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 01:43 PM   #4624
ABQautoxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerr View Post
For idle relearn, I was under the impression that when ECUtek flashed a fresh tune and cleared everything, it already did this process for you. Zach has never specifically recommended doing anything with battery disconnects, though I could try that...
I think it's in CSG's PDF or email he sends you. He was pretty clear about it to me. This is likely your issue if you havent done the entire process, it really makes a difference.
CSG Mike (08-22-2022), Jerr (08-21-2022)
Old 08-21-2022, 05:46 PM   #4625
B T

Drives: 15 BRZ, 2003 MR2, '70 Elky, 06 TBSS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Is that a new issue running the same tune or issue with a new tune?
Old 08-27-2022, 12:56 PM   #4626
Swolzee

Drives: Honda Insight
Has anyone had to replace missing parts from their kit?

My MAF housing adapt wasn't included in the kit (even though it was checked off on the parts sheet) and I can't seem to Google it as an individual item. Is there a more direct way to contact Edelbrock than their support line? After 3x attempts all 30min plus tries I thought there had to be an alternative.

A year of this thing collecting dust and now I finally start to assemble and in the final stretch I discover this *sigh*.
Swolzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 05:14 PM   #4627
dpfarr

Drives: BRZ ts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Calling them is a nightmare.
dpfarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 07:13 PM   #4628
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolzee View Post
Has anyone had to replace missing parts from their kit?

My MAF housing adapt wasn't included in the kit (even though it was checked off on the parts sheet) and I can't seem to Google it as an individual item. Is there a more direct way to contact Edelbrock than their support line? After 3x attempts all 30min plus tries I thought there had to be an alternative.

A year of this thing collecting dust and now I finally start to assemble and in the final stretch I discover this *sigh*.
Try asking your vendor. If they're actually an Edelbrock dealer and not buying through a third party, they should be able to get you support near immediately. If you purchased from CSG, email sales at counterspacegarage and you should get squared away within a day or two.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
B T (08-30-2022), Swolzee (08-30-2022)
Old 08-30-2022, 01:02 PM   #4629
Swolzee

Drives: Honda Insight
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Try asking your vendor. If they're actually an Edelbrock dealer and not buying through a third party, they should be able to get you support near immediately. If you purchased from CSG, email sales at counterspacegarage and you should get squared away within a day or two.
I finally got in touch with someone and they were courteous and efficient. The part is on its way. The wait sucks but once I got someone the actual process was handled well.
Swolzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 06:29 PM   #4630
snowtaipan

CEL P015B P015A

Hey all, anyone else seen these codes? I recently shifted to Delicious and it's been nothing but trouble. Got an updated tune and did an idle realest, 12 days later the fault came back Called delicious and was told that the most recent ECUTek update has seen a lot of both of those codes. DT says it's an ECUTek problem.

Can anyone shed some light on those codes? I know it has something to do with throttle response and the O2 sensors, but I'm a bit unclear on it.

Thanks everyone
Old 09-01-2022, 06:39 PM   #4631
ABQautoxer

Quote:
Hey all, anyone else seen these codes? I recently shifted to Delicious and it's been nothing but trouble. Got an updated tune and did an idle realest, 12 days later the fault came back Called delicious and was told that the most recent ECUTek update has seen a lot of both of those codes. DT says it's an ECUTek problem.

Can anyone shed some light on those codes? I know it has something to do with throttle response and the O2 sensors, but I'm a bit unclear on it.

Thanks everyone
Long shot here so forgive the dumb question but any chance you unplugged your O2 sensors and maybe got them backwards when you plugged them back in?
Old 09-01-2022, 06:41 PM   #4632
snowtaipan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQautoxer View Post
Long shot here so forgive the dumb question but any chance you unplugged your O2 sensors and maybe got them backwards when you plugged them back in?
Fair question, but no the O2 is fine and works with no issue on the tune from Edelbrock. Haven't actually needed with the sensor, stock exhaust.
Old 09-01-2022, 11:17 PM   #4633
snowtaipan

Quote:

Thanks everyone
Log from a drive tonight. If anyone has any ideas on more specific parameters that might provide more insight, please let me know.
https://datazap.me/u/snowtaipan/p015...?log=0&data=28
Old 09-02-2022, 09:01 AM   #4634
B T

Drives: 15 BRZ, 2003 MR2, '70 Elky, 06 TBSS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I recently had an update on my ECU tune and didn't have any issues with new codes. I've never even seen those before and I'm running my A/F wideband farther down from the original location. I believe there is a ms delay adjustment in ECUTEK so it can properly gauge when the pulse wave hits the sensor. Don't have access to my software right now to confirm.