follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 08-09-2022, 03:45 PM   #1
Swolzee

Drives: Honda Insight
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Shift Boot Alternative

Two things became apparent in my glacier slow car build.

1) I didn't want toggle switches for my Trac Box, I wanted to use the push button halo rings and planned on installing them where the heated seat switches go in the center conole since I had never seen anyone do this before.

2) I didn't like the idea of covering up the linkage of my IRP shifter with a shift boot. I wanted it exposed because race car.

In the many months since I had purchased some halo buttons, not only was I late to the party with installing halo buttons in the center console but RaceCar Go Brrr developed a whole line of products for this application (very nice stuff BTW). My contrarian nature compelled me to find another location for my buttons.
Then it hit me a way to consolidate my button location and eliminate a boot covering up my linkage. I was quite pleased with the result.

Swolzee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Swolzee For This Useful Post:
bcj (08-11-2022), DocWalt (08-11-2022), Jdmjunkie (08-09-2022), Ohio Enthusiast (08-09-2022), Stang70Fastback (08-11-2022), Teseo (08-09-2022), villainous_frx (08-11-2022), wolffbite (08-09-2022)
Old 08-09-2022, 04:06 PM   #2
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,921 Times in 1,768 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
At glance seems AT
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Teseo For This Useful Post:
Ohio Enthusiast (08-09-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 11:59 AM   #3
Chuckls
Moutain Runner

Drives: BRZ
I need this. Do you have any interest in producing more?
Chuckls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 08:43 PM   #4
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Looks superb. But i'd still think of adding some leather dust boot, though obviously now of smaller size.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (08-10-2022)
Old 08-11-2022, 09:23 AM   #5
Swolzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckls View Post
I need this. Do you have any interest in producing more?
This is the epitome of a prototype. I freehand cut most of it to eliminate needing to make custom jigs so I could have just as easily screwed it up. For that reason I really wouldn't want to produce them because my standards for production would be much higher and the time invested into making jigs to ensure that quality along with material cost would be more than I would want to charge or I doubt you'd want to pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Looks superb. But i'd still think of adding some leather dust boot, though obviously now of smaller size.
Thank you. I plan on popping off the entire shift ring from time to time to clean it out. This isn't my DD just a weekend/track car that I wouldn't even so much as eat in.
Old 08-11-2022, 09:51 AM   #6
Chuckls
Moutain Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolzee View Post
This is the epitome of a prototype. I freehand cut most of it to eliminate needing to make custom jigs so I could have just as easily screwed it up. For that reason I really wouldn't want to produce them because my standards for production would be much higher and the time invested into making jigs to ensure that quality along with material cost would be more than I would want to charge or I doubt you'd want to pay.
I'd be happy receiving a product of this exact quality!
Old 08-11-2022, 10:49 AM   #7
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Is this just a flat plate with some cutouts and holes? If so, it's a prime candidate for laser cutting which will give you excellent results with little effort and reasonable price.
If you have some additional hardware underneath, you could either find off-the-shelf parts that work or use cutting and bending services to make them (which are again a fairly reasonably priced).

I personally used SendCutSend for some simracing stuff and was quite happy with their cutting quality, price and material options.
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 06:06 PM   #8
Chuckls
Moutain Runner

Quote:
I really wouldn't want to produce them because my standards for production would be much higher and the time invested into making jigs to ensure that quality along with material cost would be more than I would want to charge or I doubt you'd want to pay.

Then if I was willing to put in the effort to have it produced, would you provide dimensions and/or cad file to have it made?

I've got contacts who would take this on.
Old 08-11-2022, 06:15 PM   #9
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Haha, since you mentioned it, I sell push button switches for the heated switch area now. As with my other switch panels, the faceplate is black, anodized aluminum with drag-engraved labels. Also as usual you can customize the text and LED color, and even specify if you want a momentary or latching switch

EDIT: Fuck I didn't even read the entirety of your first post because I'm an asshole. Thanks for the shout-out! I like the idea you came up with, by the way. Very clever!

I'm not near my car at the moment, but if this piece is less than 8" in all directions, it would fit on my desktop CNC and I could produce a batch of them if there really is enough interest. It kinda looks like it's just a flat piece that would need to be cut to the right shape? I guess I'd need to see how it would need to mount and whatnot.

They're for sale on my site: www.racecargobrrr.com
Attached Images

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.

Last edited by Stang70Fastback; 08-11-2022 at 06:49 PM.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
BRZyJ (08-11-2022), Chuckls (08-11-2022), Swolzee (08-11-2022)
Old 08-11-2022, 08:36 PM   #10
Swolzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckls View Post
Then if I was willing to put in the effort to have it produced, would you provide dimensions and/or cad file to have it made?

I've got contacts who would take this on.
I'd be glad to help just keep in mind this is made to work in conjunction with the IRP shifter and if you're using any other the cutout with be significantly different.
This is no where near as fancy as a cad file project lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
Haha, since you mentioned it, I sell push button switches for the heated switch area now. As with my other switch panels, the faceplate is black, anodized aluminum with drag-engraved labels. Also as usual you can customize the text and LED color, and even specify if you want a momentary or latching switch

EDIT: Fuck I didn't even read the entirety of your first post because I'm an asshole. Thanks for the shout-out! I like the idea you came up with, by the way. Very clever!

I'm not near my car at the moment, but if this piece is less than 8" in all directions, it would fit on my desktop CNC and I could produce a batch of them if there really is enough interest. It kinda looks like it's just a flat piece that would need to be cut to the right shape? I guess I'd need to see how it would need to mount and whatnot.

They're for sale on my site: www.racecargobrrr.com

I was actually going to reach out to you about the possibility of a custom plate. Bullet point style listing of my switches, something like this:
  • Traction Control
  • Disable ABS
  • Fans ON
  • Auto Locks

I need a plate to help secure the suede down and smooth out the edges. Besides, an indicator plate would be a nice touch.
Old 08-12-2022, 12:44 AM   #11
Chuckls
Moutain Runner

Quote:
I'd be glad to help just keep in mind this is made to work in conjunction with the IRP shifter and if you're using any other the cutout with be significantly different.
This is no where near as fancy as a cad file project lol.

My intention is to use it for my IRP, as well as a few friends who want one.