follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-03-2020, 03:39 PM   #15
MotoX16

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Mine does not rattle, V3. I got mine used and it came with an extra rubber gasket, not sure if that helps at all but from bottom to top my assembly goes: Chassis (car), rubber gasket, flat plate, rubber gasket, shifter plate, shifter handle.

The shifter was bolted to the chassis using nylon washers, also used lock washers bolting the handle to plate.
MotoX16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MotoX16 For This Useful Post:
BRZ Guy (02-04-2020), kevaughan (10-25-2022)
Old 02-04-2020, 12:51 AM   #16
BRZ Guy

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoX16 View Post
Mine does not rattle, V3. I got mine used and it came with an extra rubber gasket, not sure if that helps at all but from bottom to top my assembly goes: Chassis (car), rubber gasket, flat plate, rubber gasket, shifter plate, shifter handle.

The shifter was bolted to the chassis using nylon washers, also used lock washers bolting the handle to plate.
That’s good to hear, I think I will take a chance in ordering.
BRZ Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 04:27 AM   #17
Bodalenko
Steve Bodalenko

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZ Guy View Post
That’s good to hear, I think I will take a chance in ordering.
If you’re using differential, or trans mission inserts it’ll rattle. As soon as you have bolts connecting a steal shifter plate to the floor of the car you have a vibration point. I have the V3 and I have stiffer trans, diff, and sub frame inserts and the IRP rattles at 3k rpm. I have fixed it with a simple match head sized piece of blu tac placed on the silver cable stop that moves up and down when the reverse button is pushed down. Basically it stops two metal pieces rubbing against each other and stops the rattle.

It’s the only thing wrong with the IRP and despite the rattle it’s by far the best aftermarket shifter on the market..

Keep in mind it is designed for track use where a rattle is acceptable.
Bodalenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:12 PM   #18
SON1C

Drives: 2015 Series Blue BRZ WRB
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
for those the purchased the original IRP, do they offer any sort of warranty style upgrade to eliminate/reduce rattle -- or is only remedy a DIY fix?
SON1C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 06:30 PM   #19
Bodalenko
Steve Bodalenko

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SON1C View Post
for those the purchased the original IRP, do they offer any sort of warranty style upgrade to eliminate/reduce rattle -- or is only remedy a DIY fix?
They offer an anti rattle kit but it does very little.. The quality of the gearbox and design of linkage setup apparently has a lot to do with the issue. Apparently out of all the different versions of the shifter IRP make the 86/BRZ is the only one that rattles and that they cannot eliminate.

Still a great decision to have one though. Just depends on whether your OCD about noise in your car or you’re about functionality!
Bodalenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:27 PM   #20
GrabTheWheel

Drives: 16' BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
This thread is fake news. I tried everything to stop the rattle on a V3 to no avail. Unless you have a totally obnoxious exhaust you'll hear the rattle above 4K rpm which will get worse till redline.
GrabTheWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrabTheWheel For This Useful Post:
kevaughan (10-25-2022)
Old 10-26-2021, 10:01 AM   #21
Wikedscionist

Drives: 2013 Firestorm Red FRS
Garage
I have tried several things like the foam wich does reduce outside noise quite a bit but i cannot find a way to reduce or eliminate the rattling. Granted i have a transmission insert which doesn't help things.
Has anyone here been able to remove the button to insert some insulation? I believe most of the noise comes from the shaft under the button but i cannot find a way to remove it.
Wikedscionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 09:36 PM   #22
grumpysnapper

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Is it possible that the exhaust being hard mounted direct to the transmission case might cause some sort of resonance transfer?
grumpysnapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:02 PM   #23
Wikedscionist

Drives: 2013 Firestorm Red FRS
Garage
im sure it is part of the issue but it just seems simpler to find a way to mitigate the noise from the shifter than relocate the exhaust mounting point. which is why i am searching for anyone who was able to remove the button.
Wikedscionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:28 PM   #24
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
I think some of the noise comes from the bushing, it is metal on the IRP. It is plastic on other shifters.
Old 10-27-2021, 08:47 PM   #25
almostquick

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedscionist View Post
im sure it is part of the issue but it just seems simpler to find a way to mitigate the noise from the shifter than relocate the exhaust mounting point. which is why i am searching for anyone who was able to remove the button.
Checkout the following thread: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121063
almostquick is offline   Reply With Quote