follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 04-06-2014, 04:01 PM   #15
Zen86
Run, Reach, Fly

Drives: Monogram Firestorm
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
^I flipped the carpet truck mat around and it works the same way. Nothing slides.
Zen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:58 PM   #16
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdanyo View Post
This is the stupidest design of the trunk valet button ever.
The worst part is that there's absolutely no point to it. That video above shows exactly how absurdly easy it is to get into the trunk from inside the car. If the idea is to keep a valet out of the trunk, but the valet can just fold the seat down instead, then that valet button in the trunk is a total fail whose only remaining purpose is to piss you off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunman View Post
I bought the rubber type mat for the trunk, after the first time something bumped into the valet button and locked me out. Stuff slides less now, and it hasn't happened again...yet.
I actually ordered that mat by mistake. I asked for that silly folding cargo organizer, but the salesman entered the cargo mat instead. Best mistake ever. I have been amazed at how well everything stays put on it.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:09 PM   #17
Ec1990

Drives: '14 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
The worst part is that there's absolutely no point to it. That video above shows exactly how absurdly easy it is to get into the trunk from inside the car. If the idea is to keep a valet out of the trunk, but the valet can just fold the seat down instead, then that valet button in the trunk is a total fail whose only remaining purpose is to piss you off.

I actually ordered that mat by mistake. I asked for that silly folding cargo organizer, but the salesman entered the cargo mat instead. Best mistake ever. I have been amazed at how well everything stays put on it.
I think it's more so for those parking their cars for extended periods of time outside and want to prevent it. Either way while it may be easier, you have to imagine it from a random person driving the car with no knowledge of the BRZ. Anything to slow someone down could prevent it.
Ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:14 PM   #18
PMPB

Drives: BRZ Sport-tech
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Can someone do a DIY mod using one of these to 'upgrade' the valet button?

PMPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:18 PM   #19
Zen86
Run, Reach, Fly

^ should be easy. There's two wires coming from the valet button harness. Tap a wire into each one. wire them to the two prongs from the new switch you want. Mount and then you're golden.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:16 AM   #20
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Hey OP while you at it, try opening the driver's door with the key. After opening it a few times and busting your thumb it gets easier, same with the trunk (took me two weeks to figure it out cuz I didn't want to break anything lol).
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:25 AM   #21
Missie_23

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram 6MT
I REALLY hope that this will work for me. I just picked up my car last night, put something in the trunk, and now it won't open. Not with any button (not in the car, nor the remote) AND I tried the key but it hasn't worked so far. I guess I gotta try putting in more force to it and see if it will work...

In other news, I also have a problem with my USB audio. For some reason I put in a USB key with music on it, and it just doesn't even detect that I put a UBS in... so USB is not an option for audio. I don't know how to fix that yet... Suggestions?

Quote:
Okay I just tried it again and applied a LOT of force to it and it finally opened. I thought it was "not turning" but it actually just required a lot more force into that small grip you have between your thumb and index finger. It took two hands and a little pain endurance to turn that stupid thing enough for the lid to pop open.

Thanks for the help guys. This is the stupidest design of the trunk valet button ever.
Missie_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:41 AM   #22
AznBRZer

Drives: 16 CBS WRX Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missie_23 View Post
In other news, I also have a problem with my USB audio. For some reason I put in a USB key with music on it, and it just doesn't even detect that I put a UBS in... so USB is not an option for audio. I don't know how to fix that yet... Suggestions?
Try reloading the files back onto the drive. Sometimes, the file system gets messed up and the radio won't be able to read the files. Other times, the radio is just being fickle. Also, not all drives are made the same, so they won't always work even if it's the same brand and size that worked with someone else.
AznBRZer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:52 AM   #23
Zen86
Run, Reach, Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missie_23 View Post
I REALLY hope that this will work for me. I just picked up my car last night, put something in the trunk, and now it won't open. Not with any button (not in the car, nor the remote) AND I tried the key but it hasn't worked so far. I guess I gotta try putting in more force to it and see if it will work...

Congrats on the car. Like most said in here it takes quite a bit of force to turn the key. Just keep at it. If you still can't get it to work fold down the back seat by looking at the video i posted a few posts back. then open the trunk by pulling the truck release handle. It's a glow in the dark handle so you won't miss it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zen86 For This Useful Post:
Missie_23 (04-08-2014)
Old 04-08-2014, 12:13 PM   #24
Missie_23

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznBRZer View Post
Try reloading the files back onto the drive. Sometimes, the file system gets messed up and the radio won't be able to read the files. Other times, the radio is just being fickle. Also, not all drives are made the same, so they won't always work even if it's the same brand and size that worked with someone else.
OK. I guess I'll try to copy the music onto a computer folder for now, deleting it off the USB and putting it back on there. I HOPE that works!!
Old 04-08-2014, 12:54 PM   #25
Missie_23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen86 View Post
Congrats on the car. Like most said in here it takes quite a bit of force to turn the key. Just keep at it. If you still can't get it to work fold down the back seat by looking at the video i posted a few posts back. then open the trunk by pulling the truck release handle. It's a glow in the dark handle so you won't miss it.
I just tried the "apply more force" method. THANKFULLY it worked, and I managed to open up my trunk. I really gotta cover that button somehow, I'd hate for this to happen again.

In the meantime, I still haven't fixed my USB audio issue...
The Following User Says Thank You to Missie_23 For This Useful Post:
Zen86 (04-08-2014)
Old 04-08-2014, 08:33 PM   #26
Missie_23

As an update, my car suddenly detects the music I have on my phone....

Missie_23 from my S4
The Following User Says Thank You to Missie_23 For This Useful Post:
Zen86 (04-10-2014)
Old 04-12-2014, 01:43 PM   #27
BRZfan

Drives: 2013BRZ Premium St Silver Metallic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If for some stupid reason you happen to lock yourself in the trunk, there is a luminescent pull handed to release the trunk latch. Of course, if you would not be able to find that latch and don't have a smartphone with you, we obviously would not be hearing from you.
Quote:
I'm stumped. This is really stupid, I know, but can somebody help me?
BRZfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 01:46 PM   #28
mrdanyo

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited (World Rally Blue)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZfan View Post
If for some stupid reason you happen to lock yourself in the trunk, there is a luminescent pull handed to release the trunk latch. Of course, if you would not be able to find that latch and don't have a smartphone with you, we obviously would not be hearing from you.
I don't think you read this thread clearly, but thanks for the random unrelated tip.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk