follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-27-2009, 09:36 PM   #1
aspera

Drives: SW20 MR2, bugeye WRX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Aspera's thoughts on AWD/RWD...

I've read some strange posts on this forum about AWD and RWD. It seems that quite a few of you have never looked under the hood of a Subaru. The engine overhangs the front axle by quite a lot. That's why it has to be short and lightweight. More still have never driven a Subaru. AWD really does work great in certain situations. Corner exit is one of them. Slalom is the other. There is no way my MR2 could turn a corner and accelerate up a wet on-ramp like my WRX.

My WRX can never corner as hard as my MR2 in perfectly dry, smooth conditions, though.

My first suggestion is to overlay pictures of the FT-86 with pictures of other cars and see if there is room in the nose for Subaru's AWD. While your at it; overlay a Celica, Scion, MR2, AE86, 370Z, all sorts of Imprezas, and the beastly heavy American ponycars.

Next, realize that many of you have made a false choice. If given a choice between RWD and AWD...choose BOTH! If we're lucky Subaru has taken the next evolutionary step with their AWD system. That would be a system somewhat like the R34 Skyline's GT-S/GT-R, where the GT-S is RWD and the GT-R is AWD but can bias almost all of the torque to the rear if need be.

The big difference between Subaru's AWD and the GT-R's AWD is a front driveshaft going to a front diff ahead of the engine. If Subaru did this, the engine could move back about a FOOT! All they need to do is run a front driveshaft through a special oilpan to a centered front diff that's ahead of the engine. (Subaru oil pans are deeeep).

My final thought is about the front frame rails on Subarus. They aren't parallel. So if Subaru was going to offer conventional AWD and RWD (with the engine set back to the firewall) they'd have to make two kinds of subframes or they'd have to make the frame rails parallel all they way back to the new RWD mounting points. I just don't think they're offering AWD in any way at this time. My gut feeling is that the car is RWD only.
aspera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:06 PM   #2
Gost

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quick question, since I don't know too much about the technicals.
Isn't the technology controlling the GT-R's power shift to the rear wheels when it needs to be controlled by a computer? Wouldn't it require more parts to make the setup as a whole work and theoretically make the car heavier?

Again I'm only asking because I don't know.
Gost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:29 PM   #3
micmic

Drives: Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspera View Post
Next, realize that many of you have made a false choice. If given a choice between RWD and AWD...choose BOTH!
Ummm.... No. The two extra differentials, driveshaft and two axles AWD requires comes at quite the weight penalty.

Why is the Lotus Elise/Exige such an awesome car? Not because it has AWD (which it doesn't). It is because it is so light. Like Colin Chapman said, "simplify and add lightness."
micmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:39 AM   #4
Arcangel

Drives: 09 Honda CiviC LX-S Sedan
yea weight is the enemy
Old 10-29-2009, 03:42 AM   #5
aspera

Quote:
Originally Posted by micmic View Post
Ummm.... No. The two extra differentials, driveshaft and two axles AWD requires comes at quite the weight penalty.

Why is the Lotus Elise/Exige such an awesome car? Not because it has AWD (which it doesn't). It is because it is so light. Like Colin Chapman said, "simplify and add lightness."
Ummmm...Yes.

Which car is faster? The Lotus Elise/Exige or the Lotus 56? I'll bet my money on the REAL Lotus with the front drive shafts and inboard brakes. (If you don't know what a Lotus 56 is...Google immediately. Look for a bright orange picture.) Ask yourself why Colin himself would change from a RWD car to an AWD car? He was looking for the AWD advantage. Sadly, he was dealing with brand new cutting edge technology and racing bodies that love to outlaw exactly that type of stuff.

Since you brought up the Lotus Elise/Exige...wouldn't it be better to have 100% over the driven wheels at all times than to have about 30%? (Lotus recommends an open rear diff for faster lap times.)

A few shafts, gears, and cases is a small penalty for what AWD gives. The weight isn't very much, and it is down low in the car. How many owners would love to ditch the *heavy* AWD hardware...and then load the car with subwoofer boxes, dynamat, and amps?

EDIT: AWD Lotus 56 was 1349lbs.

Last edited by aspera; 10-29-2009 at 03:57 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:08 AM   #6
aspera

http://www.f1technical.net/forum/vie...php?f=3&t=7318

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/4...63frontend.jpg

AWD is so superior that it was specifically outlawed decades ago because it was considered to be about the same as cheating.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:12 AM   #7
Deslock

Drives: 2013 DZE/01 (sold for MX5 ND1)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Which car is faster? The Lotus Elise/Exige or the Lotus 56? I'll bet my money on the REAL Lotus with the front drive shafts and inboard brakes.
You're comparing street legal cars to a lighter, much more powerful, open wheel race car with a turbine engine.

Quote:
Ask yourself why Colin himself would change from a RWD car to an AWD car? He was looking for the AWD advantage. Sadly, he was dealing with brand new cutting edge technology and racing bodies that love to outlaw exactly that type of stuff.
If you're going to bring up Lotus' racing history with AWD, it's only fair to point out that it's a mixed bag (and while it's true that AWD was banned, so was the turbine).

Quote:
I've read some strange posts on this forum about AWD and RWD. It seems that quite a few of you have never looked under the hood of a Subaru.
FWIW, I owned a 2002 WRX and drove other MYs, including the 265 hp 2009 (as well as the 2005 STI, which was a blast).

AWD has many inherent advantages (especially on wet and/or loose surfaces), but I find RWD to be more fun. To each his own.
Deslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:26 AM   #8
speedpicking

Drives: it's a red ft-86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deslock View Post
You're comparing street legal cars to a lighter, much more powerful, open wheel race car with a turbine engine.

If you're going to bring up Lotus' racing history with AWD, it's only fair to point out that it's a mixed bag (and while it's true that AWD was banned, so was the turbine).

FWIW, I owned a 2002 WRX and drove other MYs, including the 265 hp 2009 (as well as the 2005 STI, which was a blast).

AWD has many inherent advantages (especially on wet and/or loose surfaces), but I find RWD to be more fun. To each his own.

i'm so agreeing with you
speedpicking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:56 AM   #9
NESW20
2.1L 3SGTE

Drives: MR2 Turbo & Tacoma
yeah, you really can't compare a turbine indy car to a mass-production sports coupe. i imagine AWD was something of a band-aid to try to get all that torque to the ground on the era's tires (on the lotus 56).

my view on AWD is that it's good for bad weather, and for point-and-shoot type cars. less driver skill is involved. not saying "none," but definitely less skill involved than with other setups. the GTR is a prime example of this. when reviewed by a driving instructor, he described it as "not a driver's car. no skill involved. any mistakes were covered up by the computers."

-Mike
2008 Civic Si Sedan
NESW20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:07 PM   #10
newsuby_02

Drives: 2002 WRX
I agree on the awd everyone i know who has it says it makes them a way better driver but i still find it fun to drive but as already said to each his own everyone will love what they love me personally im going ft86 i love boxer engines and rwd both tigether is a dream come true
newsuby_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:51 PM   #11
Uvamosk

Drives: Crx
Quote:
Originally Posted by newsuby_02 View Post
i love boxer engines and rwd both tigether is a dream come true
Spoken so true ^_^ When I heard it had a Boxer engine I was SOLD.

I can't wait. I mean a RWD with a CG pushed so far back would be a wet dream LOL.
I was going to swap a CA18Det into my 240sx just because I loved how it set so far back in the engine bay. I can only imagine how a RWD platform engineered around the boxer engine will handle like.

I like Toyota is trying to revitalize their brand but I'm also loving how they are treading into new territory and production sport car design concepts.
Uvamosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:42 PM   #12
Shevon

Drives: Accord Coupe
honda ...very diappointing...
Shevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:24 PM   #13
aspera

LOL I was expecting somebody to use the phrase "apples and oranges", but nobody did.

In fact FWD, RWD, and AWD can occasionally be compared to each other in the same car. The Impreza was made in FWD, and AWD, and has been known to be converted to RWD. AWD is the best for that car.

The Celica was made in all three drivetrains (different models). The most sought after is the AWD Celica GT-Four.

The Lancer is a little more spread out, but it has been made in all three variations. The AWD EVO is the top choice.

Skylines (as I mentioned earlier) were offered in RWD and AWD. Which one was faster? That'd be the GT-R.

The list goes on and on. Porsche, Lamborghini, Veyron, most Audis, Focus RS, etc. The fastest cars OR the fastest versions of a particular car are AWD. The limit isn't so much the weight, but the cost and packaging. Otherwise most cars would have AWD. That may change in the future with electric cars.

An AWD car may be designed to "TURN OFF" torque to the front wheels, rendering it RWD. But a RWD car may never "TURN ON" torque to the front wheels.

I've been saying for a long time on NASIOC that Subaru needs to develop a new AWD system with the front diff in front of the engine instead of behind it. My engineering suggestion is a driveshaft through the oil pan.

EDIT: "The IS250 AWD 0-60 7.0 seconds flat (RWD is 7.6)..."
I have no idea where these numbers came from, but...if true, I think that relates to the FT-86 directly.

Last edited by aspera; 10-30-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:39 PM   #14
NESW20
2.1L 3SGTE

Drives: MR2 Turbo & Tacoma
AWD is like training wheels.

the Porsche GT2 is faster than a Turbo, and it's RWD only. i don't know where you're coming up with the IS250 0-60 times, but i'd like to see that. as far as the Skylines, there are other factors other than which wheels are driven that make a GT-R faster than say a GT-S or GT-T.

a few of the cars you mentioned were made AWD for rally purposes. i sincerely doubt anyone will be rallying their FT86.

-Mike
2008 Civic Si Sedan
NESW20 is offline   Reply With Quote