follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List
go_a_way1, MisterSheep

Old 07-22-2018, 01:42 PM   #29
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
Hello everyone!! This is my first DIY so here it goes. DO AT YOUR OWN RISK. This is the goal

Edit: I ordered my parts from @Max @ 86WORX
I cant figure out how to post a link from my phone but its easy enough to find on his site. They are under interior parts.

Attachment 114643

Step 1) Remove the gauge cluster from the car. There is another DIY on here on how to do that, It is really easy and if you can't do that you should not be attempting this.

Step 2) remove all the plastic bits, I chose to paint my silver ring black so I removed that too for painting.

Attachment 114644

Step 3) Remove all the needles. Note the position of each one very carefully as you have to be very meticulous putting them back EXACTLY where they were. Be very careful here, you have to lift straight up. You will end up with this.

Attachment 114645

Step 4) Lift the faceplate off and lay down the new one.

Attachment 114646

Step 5) Push the needles back on, Be very careful to not push them on fully at first. Once it is on a little turn them until you hit the stopper and use that as a reference point to reset them. I.e. spin the temperature needle to the left until it hits the stopper, that is where it will be when the car is off so the needle should point backwards slightly. You can just use a small amount of force to get the needle to rotate while the motor is held to the stopper to help you line it up. You will get this. I also chose to get needle caps too so this is me applying those.

Attachment 114648

Step 6) Optional: Paint the Silver ring (note the japanese news paper that came as packaging for my overlay/needle caps #JDM lol!)

Attachment 114649

Step 7) Reassemble!! Note I mixed up the tach and speedo meters so this pic is not right!!

Attachment 114643

Now Just go test it!! Here is 1 lights on shoot in the day and a poorly shot picture of lights off during the day.

Attachment 114650

Attachment 114651

I am pressed for time so that is all for now! I may or maynot update this depending on the demand. P.S sorry if I cant spell

Thanks I had trouble getting my needles recalibrated until I read this
Old 04-06-2020, 03:37 PM   #30
Sev995

Drives: Black 2013 frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
weird calibration

Was switching them out, put each needle back in carefully and to the correct positions so that when my car is running everything is accurate. But whenever I turn my car off for a few hours and come back, the needles drop back down to where my gas is at empty (when it should be at half) and my rpms dropping 1000k. Any thoughts on how I should get these to stay calibrated?
Sev995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 08:37 PM   #31
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,673 Times in 993 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Well I messed up and now my fuel gauge needle isn't pointing to where it's supposed to be. Unlike the other needles, which have a "stop", this one just spins freely so should I maybe fill the tank and then manually set the position to "full"?