follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 12-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
chadstyle

Drives: 2013 Subaru BR-Z Limited
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Beeping after ignition turns off..

Ok guys, I've done a search and I've found lots of other topics about beeping sounds but not this..hopefully someone can help me out. I picked up my BRZ from the dealer last night (woohoo!! Finally!!) but there's something weird going on and I can't figure out why. After driving the car and I turn it off by pushing the start/stop button and everything shuts off but the car starts beeping. It doesn't stop beeping until I get out and close the door. The headlights weren't left on and its the keyless ignition so its not reminding me that my key is in the ignition still. Is this normal? It's really annoying and it seems like its some sort of indicator trying to tell me something but I don't know what it's trying to say!! Lol

Thanks in advance!! I'll post some pics in another thread later..I'm lowering the car and installing the wheels now.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
GregV

Drives: Kia Stinger GT2
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
If the door is open when you shut the car off it beeps to warn you the keys are in the car and disables the lock until the sensors detect the key outside
GregV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GregV For This Useful Post:
racecaresuaceb (12-01-2012), Thongpocket (02-09-2013), Zacharary (07-17-2020)
Old 12-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
chadstyle

Hmm..that might have been it. I may have shut off the ignition with the door open. I'll experiment with it. Thanks for the reply!
Old 12-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #4
Jayde

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
It is quite annoying. I make a habit of turning the car off before opening a door.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:00 PM   #5
2point0

Drives: '13 BRZ Ltd WRB
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Or if you do shut off with the door open, just reach over and tap the door switch. It'll shut up.
2point0 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2point0 For This Useful Post:
juenedgi (07-15-2020)
Old 12-02-2012, 09:11 AM   #6
chadstyle

My Infiniti M had a better method of reminding me to take the keys. After I would turn off the ignition, door open or door closed, it didn't make a sound. If I left the keys in the console or inside the car somewhere and I got out and closed the door and touched the door handle to lock it would make a long 5 second beep. The doors wouldn't lock and I would instantly think "duh, my keys..." and grab them. It's almost like Subaru plans on people leaving their keys behind if they open the door before turning off the ignition. Guess there's no way to disable this feature..
Old 02-07-2013, 10:19 PM   #7
eprosenx

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My car does the same thing and I hate it

I have not gone and tested the sequence of events to know under exactly what conditions the car beeps like this, but indeed, I suspect it is when you open the door prior to turning off the car it then beeps at you.

I really don't understand the logic of it "reminding you not to leave your keys in the car" since I can just as easily leave my keys in the car if I turn it off BEFORE opening the door.

I am wondering if this is a firmware bug, or if they actually have some other reason for the beeping?

Anyone know if this can be turned off?

I do indeed love the car (after waiting 6 months to get it).

-Eric
eprosenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:20 PM   #8
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
I open the door after turning the car off AND the lights so I have no idea why it beeps...I've learned to ignore it.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:02 PM   #9
chandz05

Drives: CBS BRZ limited MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I have experienced this, but only twice in the 6 months that I've owned it, so I haven't paid much attention to it. I guess I'll experiment and see what happens
chandz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:11 PM   #10
bdbx18

Drives: Present MDX, Civic Hybrid, BRZ
I just had this experience recently. Could it because you have the spare key somewhere in the car or truck?
bdbx18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:15 PM   #11
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
This happens to me every day. I will play around with it some more to see if I AM opening the door before I turn the car off as I do occasionally do that to see how much driveway I have left on the driver's side.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:49 PM   #12
BRZfan

Drives: 2013BRZ Premium St Silver Metallic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Why would one open the door before turning the ignition off? How does one get to that point? How is that habit formed???
My typical procedure: Stop car, seatbelt off (if not sooner), trans in park, neutral or in gear depending upon circumstances and trans type, handbrake on, ignition off - key in pocket or hand, open door, lock door with inside switch if necessary, close door.

There may be some variation in the steps above but certainly ignition is off and key in possession before opening door. (I have Premium model)

Note: many cars now have, and have had for some time, a locking/unlocking system to help prevent operators from locking themselves out. It is called in the industry: "idiot proofing". I had a GM car recently whereby there was a 5-6 second delay before the doors locked themselves (after one had manually locked the doors from the inside before getting out (and subsequently closed the doors). It gave idiots the benefit of the doubt (for several seconds). It always helps to read the manual on these things since cars can vary in their locking/unlocking logic.

It used to be, before the popularity of plug-in devices like cellphones, when one turned the ignition off and pulled the key out all outlets, or some outlets, would be inoperable. Now when the ignition is turned off there is a several minute delay on at least some plug-in outlets before circuits are opened (no juice).

Last edited by BRZfan; 02-08-2013 at 12:01 AM.
BRZfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:00 AM   #13
eprosenx

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZfan View Post
Why would one open the door before turning the ignition off? How does one get to that point? How is that habit formed???
My typical procedure: Stop car, seatbelt off (if not sooner), trans in park, neutral or in gear depending upon circumstances and trans type, handbrake on, ignition off - key in pocket or hand, open door, lock door with inside switch if necessary, close door.
Several reasons.

1. Sometimes I will pull up next to a friend who I wanted to show the car, so I open the door and let them check it out with the electronics on, and then I decide to stop the car and get out so I shut it off.
2. More often however, I will pull in somewhere and let the engine idle for a bit so it can cool down before I turn it off. I may have opened the door while idling in order to talk to folks, or unload things...

I need to go play with this a bit to see if I can reproduce the exact conditions.

I should call out that I have the proximity key, so it NEVER leaves my pocket and there really is not a chance for me to leave it in the car...

Other cars I have had that beep when the key leaves the car will also light up something on the dash to let you know they are beeping because of the key (i.e. a Key icon)
eprosenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:54 AM   #14
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadstyle View Post
My Infiniti M had a better method of reminding me to take the keys. After I would turn off the ignition, door open or door closed, it didn't make a sound. If I left the keys in the console or inside the car somewhere and I got out and closed the door and touched the door handle to lock it would make a long 5 second beep. The doors wouldn't lock and I would instantly think "duh, my keys..." and grab them. It's almost like Subaru plans on people leaving their keys behind if they open the door before turning off the ignition. Guess there's no way to disable this feature..
The BRZ does the same, but only "door closed before ignition turn off". If you "open door before ignition turn off" then you get the annoying beep.

(I agree both conditions should behave as you described instead of only "door closed before ign off").
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote