follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-04-2016, 10:23 AM   #99
G.I.Choe

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS Argento
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alxtheoreo View Post
Very minimal drone at first. After a few hundred miles, it'll go away.

I've had mine for 6 months & 7,000 miles later - I don't regret it. Nothing but complements from others & fellow twin owners.

Do you have other exhaust mods?

Just installed this new exhaust (and I currently love it). Could you elaborate on the drone going away after a few hundred miles?
G.I.Choe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:40 AM   #100
Roadcone
StreetKart

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
#DEZODMASTERRACE
Old 04-04-2016, 10:48 AM   #101
alxtheoreo

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.I.Choe View Post
Just installed this new exhaust (and I currently love it). Could you elaborate on the drone going away after a few hundred miles?
Yes. Overtime any exhaust with resonators or mufflers will become quiet due to carbon build-up from the exhaust gasses covering the holes/louvers within those sections . It's a subtle thing. It could take hundreds or thousands of miles.

This is also occurring while your body makes a neurological adaptation to the noise & vibration. Therefore, it's "loud" now because it's new to you (and others) yet it will be the norm as time continues.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 12-23-2016, 02:35 PM   #102
Bowen
Powered by Crickets

Drives: 14' SWP MT Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Can anyone comment on the drone with this catback w/ an UEL header? Specifically around the 3-4k RPM range, highway cursing speeds.

My Tomei UEL w/ a Greddy Evo 3 has a stupid amount of drone. So much so that my rear view mirror shakes when going above 50mph.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:45 PM   #103
alxtheoreo

I just installed my UEL header a month ago, and the sound is same, just amplified. I have some cabin drone depending on the throttle & load, yet nothing that shakes my mirror(s). If you're tuned with OFT, the resonance you get around 4K is the same.

At highway crusing speed, it's tame.

At startup, it's like any other car with a header & exhaust setup. Subjectively loud.
@Bowen

OFT, OFH, Dezod Catback & Enkei TS-10s

Last edited by alxtheoreo; 12-23-2016 at 02:58 PM.
alxtheoreo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alxtheoreo For This Useful Post:
Bowen (12-23-2016)
Old 12-23-2016, 03:13 PM   #104
Bowen
Powered by Crickets

Drives: 14' SWP MT Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alxtheoreo View Post
I just installed my UEL header a month ago, and the sound is same, just amplified. I have some cabin drone depending on the throttle & load, yet nothing that shakes my mirror(s). If you're tuned with OFT, the resonance you get around 4K is the same.

At highway crusing speed, it's tame.

At startup, it's like any other car with a header & exhaust setup. Subjectively loud.
@Bowen

OFT, OFH, Dezod Catback & Enkei TS-10s
Yea I'm tuned with an OFT. So you can comfortably go on a long 70mph+ highway drive for 3 or more hours?

Cause I'm looking at picking up a Q300, but I love the way this catback looks and sounds. I just need to not have a large amounts of drone at highway speeds.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 12-23-2016, 03:25 PM   #105
alxtheoreo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowen View Post
Yea I'm tuned with an OFT. So you can comfortably go on a long 70mph+ highway drive for 3 or more hours?

Cause I'm looking at picking up a Q300, but I love the way this catback looks and sounds. I just need to not have a large amounts of drone at highway speeds.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
I can. The noise doesn't bother me & I keep my radio loud, plus my winter tires make a good deal of road noise too. Lol. Yet for you, it will be different.

It's a great sounding catback. Strangers like it. My neighbors don't hate me in the morning either. :p

Try out a db meter (or a phone app) to see how loud your current setup is inside. On a below freezing morning, I peaked at 88db while sitting inside with the windows up & a 1.5K idle.
Old 12-23-2016, 03:39 PM   #106
Bowen