follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-04-2020, 08:36 PM   #57
dagle

Drives: assphalt FRS, couple s2000's
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
also for posterity, spring removal doesn't only change the heaviness. my understanding is that the linearity of force needed for pedal travel also changes (video link below). I haven't reproduced the test myself or have any inclination to, but it does seem that based on the position of the pedal, the spring's force transitions from push to pull.

dagle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dagle For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-04-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 06:13 AM   #58
sneaky_pete

Drives: MY14 86 GTS Manual Velocity Orange
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I changed out the clutch spring for an MTEC clutch spring and then adjusted the clutch pedal so it grabs closer to the firewall. much improved take offs and gear changes. throw in the MTEC shifter springs the whiteline positive shift kit and perrin rear bushing and revel in how great swapping cogs can be.

I have a Stage 2+ tune on mine and found that improved throttle response a touch, not that I felt there was anything wrong with it.

I had noble intentions of keep my car stock but improving stuff like the gear shift and clutch pedal meant that one thing lead to another and now I have a list of nearly 40 mods I've done to the car, some very minor all the way up to headers, a tune and lots of suspension mods. that is the beauty of these cars - so much available to mod your car to your taste.

don't be afraid to modify and improve your car - just keep all the stock bits so you can change it back if you need to.
sneaky_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 02:55 PM   #59
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
The assist spring is part of an overcenter mechanism. The most common example that I can think of is that on a light switch. It's actually useful for stabilizing the linkage so it doesn't rattle while at rest. I regret losing the parts for mine after removing it, but not enough to scrounge for replacements.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:56 PM   #60
JohnH
Professional wrench

Drives: 2020 BRZ ST RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
Clutch delay system?

As far as throttle body this is the best DBW system I've ever driven. I think it might be an issue of you getting used to a car.
this. My last car had DBW and it was good, and after I tuned it, it was very good. This is better. The only electronic throttle I've used that was as good was on my last bike, a KTM street bike.

the low throttle angle tip in response is laser sharp. very nice
JohnH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 07:00 PM   #61
JohnH
Professional wrench

Drives: 2020 BRZ ST RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky_pete View Post
I changed out the clutch spring for an MTEC clutch spring and then adjusted the clutch pedal so it grabs closer to the firewall. much improved take offs and gear changes.
hey, any how to, or video on this to do it PROPERLY?? I know there are two adjustments. One is the rod that actually goes thru the firewall above the gas pedal and there is the other adjustment at the clutch pedal switch.

I don't want to take away all the free play in the rod, as then the clutch won't fully engage. and too much free play won't allow it to fully disengage. Its kind of hard to know what the free play is because of the spring.

I'd like to tune this nicely. Its not bad but its a little off. I'm a good manual trans driver, and I know its not my bad technique

thanks!
JohnH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:57 AM   #62
sneaky_pete

Drives: MY14 86 GTS Manual Velocity Orange
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
hey, any how to, or video on this to do it PROPERLY?? I know there are two adjustments.
clutch spring replacement

clutch pedal adjustment

shifter spring replacement

shifter bushing

Last edited by sneaky_pete; 07-06-2020 at 04:09 AM.
sneaky_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sneaky_pete For This Useful Post:
JohnH (08-18-2021), Tanstin (07-07-2020)