follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 02-18-2019, 10:50 AM   #869
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS13_ View Post
Is the dealer paying for the new motor? I have an appointment to take mine in tomorrow, reading stuff like this freaks me out. My car just hit a 100k miles and it has always run perfectly.
Then don't have the work done. The recall doesn't "expire" and if the springs break you can deal with it then.

That said, I had mine done, and so far no issues. Also, the repair comes with a 12 month, 10,000 mile warranty so it should be covered.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
FRS13_ (03-01-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 10:54 AM   #870
Steeps

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I wonder as a percentage how many cars have failed post-recall because of the repair work done compared to the percentage of cars which failed due to defective springs in the first place. Surely by now it could be argued the method to fix is not suitable if the risk of failure increases?
Steeps is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steeps For This Useful Post:
humfrz (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 12:31 PM   #871
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeps View Post
I wonder as a percentage how many cars have failed post-recall because of the repair work done compared to the percentage of cars which failed due to defective springs in the first place. Surely by now it could be argued the method to fix is not suitable if the risk of failure increases?
Well in all the cars affected, including not just the FRS/86/GT86/BRZ but all Subaru models affected by the recall their were 97 cases of failed springs (according to Subaru). We have what 5 reported cases of failed rod bearings post recall now and that is just for the Twins. There could be other Subaru models coming back with spun bearings too. We are also just a few month into the recall compared to the entire life of the FA20*. We are also only seeing reports from members on this forum. there could be others. The difference is Subaru has passed the liability from them over to the dealers.

Correct me someone if I am wrong but I think all the reports of bearing failures post recall have been from Toyotas.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:47 PM   #872
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,520 Times in 18,921 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
1 month and 413 miles after recall work, my car started to make noises. 4 miles after that, the car started misfiring and knocking. Getting towed to dealer to have my engine replaced.
That sucks. I'm sorry.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:40 PM   #873
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
That sucks. I'm sorry.
Everything happens for a reason! Maybe I'll fight them to get the engine replaced by a shop in the area, I really -really- do not want them getting some junkyard LKQ engine and stuffing it in there. My friend's shop ( VEMS engine management) could get me an IAG block...
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 07:13 PM   #874
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
Well in all the cars affected, including not just the FRS/86/GT86/BRZ but all Subaru models affected by the recall their were 97 cases of failed springs (according to Subaru). We have what 5 reported cases of failed rod bearings post recall now and that is just for the Twins. There could be other Subaru models coming back with spun bearings too. We are also just a few month into the recall compared to the entire life of the FA20*. We are also only seeing reports from members on this forum. there could be others. The difference is Subaru has passed the liability from them over to the dealers.

Correct me someone if I am wrong but I think all the reports of bearing failures post recall have been from Toyotas.
From what I've seen here, seems to be Toyotas that have failed after the recall work.
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:36 PM   #875
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZnut View Post
From what I've seen here, seems to be Toyotas that have failed after the recall work.
There were more than twice as many FRS's built than BRZs. it would be expected that there would be more failures after the work. There have been 3 catastrophic failures reported here so a BRZ is statically due any time now.
ermax (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 07:40 PM   #876
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post

I missed two reports? If it is too much sealant blocking the channels then the other engines may not have the same post repair problem as they do not have exactly the same set up.
Yes there could be other failures but we also have no idea just how many ave had no issue at all. The repairs that went fine will go unmentioned and skew the perception.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:41 PM   #877
slizoth

Drives: 2013 WRB Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
The mechanics are identical, unless Toyota has different standards for Technicians than Subuaru I think it's more likely there are just more FRS vehicles out there than BRZ.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:41 PM   #878
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
There were more than twice as many FRS's built than BRZs. it would be expected that there would be more failures after the work. There have been 3 catastrophic failures reported here so a BRZ is statically due any time now.
I think also the Toyota camp got their recall notices before the BRZ group and were likely in the dealer before the Subaru crowd.
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZnut For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 07:42 PM   #879
slizoth

Drives: 2013 WRB Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeps View Post
Maybe you're not considering the full value of the recall work, I mean... I'm more active on these forums and have talked to more people about the car since the recall happened.... No such thing as bad publicity as they say.

Perhaps they saved on marketing costs by having a recall so big it's all over the news.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:46 PM   #880
Tcoat

Quote:
I think also the Toyota camp got their recall notices before the BRZ group and were likely in the dealer before the Subaru crowd.
Yes that is an excellent point as well!
Old 02-18-2019, 07:51 PM   #881
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by slizoth View Post
Maybe you're not considering the full value of the recall work, I mean... I'm more active on these forums and have talked to more people about the car since the recall happened.... No such thing as bad publicity as they say.

Perhaps they saved on marketing costs by having a recall so big it's all over the news.
Don't think the the whole "No such things as bad publicity" applies when you have 400,000 cars with engines that can just stop. There actually is a such thing as bad publicity and this is an example of it. Little doubt the marketing budget has been increased to do damage control on the brand image not cut because people are talking more.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:12 PM   #882
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I missed two reports? If it is too much sealant blocking the channels then the other engines may not have the same post repair problem as they do not have exactly the same set up.

Yes there could be other failures but we also have no idea just how many ave had no issue at all. The repairs that went fine will go unmentioned and skew the perception.

There are 3 or 4 threads going where people have reported bearings going. If I recall there are a total of 5 reported. I could be wrong, id have to dig through the 4000 recall threads to be sure. But yeah I realize people aren’t reporting the good rebuilds I am simply saying we only saw one guy on the forum over many years report broken spring yet here we have 3 (going with your number to be conservative) report post recall bearing issues in just a few weeks. My point is statistically it seems they’ve created a bigger risk to the customers while shifting the liability to the dealers. But without real numbers you can’t be sure.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (02-18-2019), Tcoat (02-18-2019)