follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 07-08-2017, 09:30 AM   #799
sly

Drives: 2016 Cosworth 2.2 BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
For the record, my exhaust has performed flawlessly. But I don't have the supercharger, only the 1.2 and I have never tracked my car. I've been really happy with it and everywhere I go, someone wants to talk to me about my car.
sly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sly For This Useful Post:
ajc209 (07-08-2017), Insurme1 (07-08-2017), weederr33 (07-08-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 04:18 PM   #800
Insurme1

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10-Series
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
I believe Matt is still with Cosworth. However yeah there had been whispers that Nameless and Cosworth are no longer partnered. Additionally, I found out they discontinued their long-tube headers.
Yes, according to Jason they discontinued it because of knock-offs have copied it.

I've been thinking about taking my header off and wrapping it?
Insurme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 04:29 PM   #801
ajc209

Drives: GT86 Cosworth
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insurme1 View Post
Yes, according to Jason they discontinued it because of knock-offs have copied it.

I've been thinking about taking my header off and wrapping it?
If you have the nameless non coated then id consider ceramic coating rather than wrapping.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
ajc209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 05:17 PM   #802
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,587 Times in 2,929 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'm thinking the ACE header would be a great alternative for the Nameless header. It's supposed to produce around, if not slightly more power. Either way, it is a shame Nameless discontinued their header. Though I must say, Nameless' quality control is unlikely related to Cosworth and their supercharger.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
ajc209 (07-08-2017), Insurme1 (07-08-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 06:38 PM   #803
Steeps

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I know it's a bit off topic as this is for the 2.x kit rather than just the exhaust, but has anyone here had the 1.3 kit (catback + midpipe + header) noise tested? Mine's a little on the loud side (as in, not allowed on track loud) and Cosworth have swapped out the silencers, but they were not faulty. Struggling to find an active user in the UK with a header to compare with to see if that's at fault. Already asked Rallysport if they noise tested theirs for their video but they didn't
Steeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:01 PM   #804
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeps View Post
I know it's a bit off topic as this is for the 2.x kit rather than just the exhaust, but has anyone here had the 1.3 kit (catback + midpipe + header) noise tested? Mine's a little on the loud side (as in, not allowed on track loud) and Cosworth have swapped out the silencers, but they were not faulty. Struggling to find an active user in the UK with a header to compare with to see if that's at fault. Already asked Rallysport if they noise tested theirs for their video but they didn't
Have to checked to see if it's an exhaust leak? Alternatively, you could put the stock headers on and see. But I do know the 0.3 manifold is quite... noisy. I've heard a full system in person and it's too much for me.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
Old 07-09-2017, 04:37 AM   #805
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
Though I must say, Nameless' quality control is unlikely related to Cosworth and their supercharger.
I like the reasoning over here. Why is not related? First of all it was sold by Cosworth as a package. They kept the Nameless brand, but Cosworth is responsible of any issues. Secondly, if someone buys today the supercharger and wants to get the full benefits of it, he is left with no options. No header is available, no exhaust is available. Nothing. Was this supposed to be a limited edition offer? Even if Cosworth comes with a stage 3 product, it will not be an ideal solution if they don't solve the existing problems.

I know that I might sound a bit unfair on them, but they are a company with history. My family had back in the '80s one of the first Mercedes 190E 2.3-16 with a Cosworth developed engine. The base 2.3 engine had 136hp and Cosworth managed to get it to 185hp. The cylinder head was based on knowledge from the Cosworth DFV and BDA engines. It was made from light alloy using Coscast's casting process and brought with it dual overhead camshafts and four valves per cylinder. Pretty unique technology for a road car at that time. Our platform deserves something better than the current offering.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
Insurme1 (07-24-2017), Surok (01-26-2018)
Old 07-09-2017, 04:47 AM   #806
ajc209

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
I like the reasoning over here. Why is not related? First of all it was sold by Cosworth as a package. They kept the Nameless brand, but Cosworth is responsible of any issues. Secondly, if someone buys today the supercharger and wants to get the full benefits of it, he is left with no options. No header is available, no exhaust is available. Nothing. Was this supposed to be a limited edition offer? Even if Cosworth comes with a stage 3 product, it will not be an ideal solution if they don't solve the existing problems.

I know that I might sound a bit unfair on them, but they are a company with big history. My family had back in the '80s one of the first Mercedes 190E 2.3-16 with a Cosworth developed engine. The base 2.3 engine had 136hp and Cosworth managed to get it to 185hp. The cylinder head was based on knowledge from the Cosworth DFV and BDA engines. It was made from light alloy using Coscast's casting process and brought with it dual overhead camshafts and four valves per cylinder. Pretty unique technology at that time for a road car. Our platform deserves something better than the current crap offering.
Well you are entited to your opinion 👍

There are many oem cars that have benefited from Cosworth knowledge such as the RS audi engines. Most of them dont have cosworth branding but are paid to do dev work.

One thing thats is unique to the fa20 cosworth stuff is the cylinder balancing of pressures which is achieve on an engine dyno with pressure sensors installed in the combustion cambers. This makes things a bit safer and the engine forces are more balanced.

Regarding the exhaust Cosworth will map the stage 2 for almost any exhaust. I dont have a cosworth exhaust , im running a custom designed 2.75" exhaust.

Old 07-09-2017, 04:57 AM   #807
nikitopo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc209 View Post
Well you are entited to your opinion 👍
I just try to make a positive discussion. I don't have any Cosworth product in my BRZ, but I would be happy to see good things developing.

Quote:
There are many oem cars that have benefited from Cosworth knowledge such as the RS audi engines. Most of them dont have cosworth branding but are paid to do dev work.
I don't really care on the RS audi engines. Sorry.

Quote:
One thing thats is unique to the fa20 cosworth stuff is the cylinder balancing of pressures which is achieve on an engine dyno with pressure sensors installed in the combustion cambers. This makes things a bit safer and the engine forces are more balanced.
This is an interesting information. Thanks to mention it.

Quote:
Regarding the exhaust Cosworth will map the stage 2 for almost any exhaust. I dont have a cosworth exhaust , im running a custom designed 2.75" exhaust.
I am aware that a custom tune can be offered, but I am afraid that it cannot be on par with the testing of the initial tune. How many log files did you provide and did you have dyno-runs for the new tune? How many customers can do this thing?
Old 07-09-2017, 05:09 AM   #808
ajc209

Quote:
I just try to make a positive discussion. I don't have any Cosworth product in my BRZ, but I would be happy to see good things developing.

I am aware that a custom tune can be offered, but I am afraid that it cannot be on par with the testing of the initial tune. How many log files did you provide and did you have dyno-runs for the new tune? How many customers can do this thing?
Matt@cosworth will be able to answer better but the tune is essentially the same just the fueling and spark adjusted for the cat back and frontpipe i think.

For the cosowrth header vs stock there are fairly big differences due to the long runners from what he has told me.

You shouldnt be so quick to lose faith. They make great products and Matt is a very accomplished engineer having worked on F1 engines, suspension and gearboxes.

The stage 2 kit is very well designed and put together. Able to achieve similar power to the main two rivals on 0.5bar whereas they need 0.7 bar.

The Following User Says Thank You to ajc209 For This Useful Post:
Insurme1 (07-24-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 11:42 AM   #809
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Quote:

I know that I might sound a bit unfair on them, but they are a company with history. My family had back in the '80s one of the first Mercedes 190E 2.3-16 with a Cosworth developed engine. The base 2.3 engine had 136hp and Cosworth managed to get it to 185hp. The cylinder head was based on knowledge from the Cosworth DFV and BDA engines. It was made from light alloy using Coscast's casting process and brought with it dual overhead camshafts and four valves per cylinder. Pretty unique technology for a road car at that time. Our platform deserves something better than the current offering.
OK.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
The Following User Says Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
ajc209 (07-09-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 07:42 AM   #810
Matt@Cosworth

Drives: blue - Cosworth SC stage 3.0
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:

I feel that I should weigh in here
when we did the original exhaust testing on the rollers with about 8 different exhaust systems, we also tried many different combinations of other peoples headers with someone elses over pipe etc

all to get an idea of what works and how it worked on this engine

at the time the Nameless prototypes were way in front of everything else tried - hence our decision to go with them

however the data from this testing was not thrown out so I have a good idea and a record of what spark timing and cam timing was run with what manifold and the measured effect on exhaust back pressure with changes to the rest of the system

so this i why I'm quite confident we can offer a custom service to dial in the tune to suit the myriad of exhaust options on offer for this car

I think about 40% of our kits are running someone else's exhaust and another 15% are on the stock parts which we also offer a tune for

please do not be put off the charger by thinking you need the cosworth exhaust to go with it
Matt@Cosworth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Matt@Cosworth For This Useful Post:
ajc209 (07-12-2017), chaoskaze (07-14-2017), Insurme1 (07-24-2017), nikitopo (10-24-2017), weederr33 (07-12-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 09:35 AM   #811
nikitopo

Useful information.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:18 PM   #812
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@Cosworth View Post
I feel that I should weigh in here
when we did the original exhaust testing on the rollers with about 8 different exhaust systems, we also tried many different combinations of other peoples headers with someone elses over pipe etc

all to get an idea of what works and how it worked on this engine

at the time the Nameless prototypes were way in front of everything else tried - hence our decision to go with them

however the data from this testing was not thrown out so I have a good idea and a record of what spark timing and cam timing was run with what manifold and the measured effect on exhaust back pressure with changes to the rest of the system

so this i why I'm quite confident we can offer a custom service to dial in the tune to suit the myriad of exhaust options on offer for this car

I think about 40% of our kits are running someone else's exhaust and another 15% are on the stock parts which we also offer a tune for

please do not be put off the charger by thinking you need the cosworth exhaust to go with it
Matt,

Have you guys had anyone receive a tune with the headers from ACE. They seem to be quite popular.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT