follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 04-13-2021, 12:19 AM   #29
WC-BRZ

Drives: Black BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
...It will probably be north of a $10k price difference, but probably well worth it for a car that's in a whole different league.

Definitely should be pointed out that this is just one person's opinion and it would be unfortunate if some impressionable minds were to start putting some stock into this.

The Z is an overweight pig and requires a lot to have it become more of a lively, responsive, true driver's car. Yes, it can be done, so don't everyone get your panties in a bunch...

...However, out of the box, following the above wording, I'd actually say that the BRZ is in a league of its own.

Different strokes for different folks!!

Have had the unfortunate experience of driving the older 350Z and it was a bit disappointing - I'd never consider it over my 2018 BRZ. Straight line isn't for everyone...
WC-BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WC-BRZ For This Useful Post:
Adam_L (09-06-2021), TommyW (04-13-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 08:25 AM   #30
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,012 Times in 338 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WC-BRZ View Post
... this is just one person's opinion...
Isn't pretty much every post on this forum (and probably every other car site as well) 'one person's opinion?'

If anyone were to truly take substantive action and spend big money based on a single post on any car forum, I'd suggest they might want to look into what's important to them, and if the money may be better spent on counseling.

I was under the impression that this site, like most similar car forums, was primarily for light entertainment, sharing views, experiences, and thoughts purely for the fun of it and not as any kind of 'contest' over absurd notions of 'right' or 'wrong'.

As you said, 'different strokes for different folks'. There is no 'right' or 'wrong' when it comes to enjoying cars. Vanilla or chocolate. Neither one is 'better' than the other in any way. Anyone into cars has their own likes and dislikes, and everyone's preferences are completely valid.

Some people enjoy the fun of coordinating both hands and feet with an archaic, obsolete, less efficient manual transmission and an equally less efficient N/A engine just because they like it. Others get pleasure out of maximizing efficiency with a 10 speed DCT and a highly strung small displacement turbo. One person's dinosaur is another person's passionate delight.

I own a BRZ. I might keep it, or I might buy the next gen car, or I might buy the Z. I hope both the next gen BRZ and Z are wild sales successes, because I think the world would be a more interesting and fun place with more sports cars in it rather than less, reduced down to some arbitrary single 'optimal' design.

That's the beauty of cars. There are so many different ways to have fun. They can all be appreciated for what they offer. Wouldn't it be boring to go to a Cars & Coffee (when it's safe to do so again) and see row after row of the same damn car? I think the diversity is much more interesting and adds different automotive flavors to the feast. Like life in general.

As the French say so well, 'Vive la difference!'.
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (04-13-2021), Jordanwolf (04-13-2021), JusTheG (04-13-2021), nextcar (04-13-2021), Sport-Tech (04-13-2021), StE92ve (04-13-2021), Tanstin (05-02-2021), Tcoat (04-16-2021), Transport3r (04-13-2021), Wally86 (04-14-2021), Willpower (04-13-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 08:17 PM   #31
PandaEighty-Six

Drives: 2018 Toyota 86 GT Black
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
As others have pointed out, the weight difference is significant enough to warrant consideration.

The 400Z will likely be heavier than the outgoing model with the introduction of FI. That 500+lb weight difference is pretty big given the relative price performance.

Price for price, I'd go with the BRZ/86 given the difference in driving dynamics.

- Blitz air filter
PandaEighty-Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:24 PM   #32
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
Isn't pretty much every post on this forum (and probably every other car site as well) 'one person's opinion?'

If anyone were to truly take substantive action and spend big money based on a single post on any car forum, I'd suggest they might want to look into what's important to them, and if the money may be better spent on counseling.

I was under the impression that this site, like most similar car forums, was primarily for light entertainment, sharing views, experiences, and thoughts purely for the fun of it and not as any kind of 'contest' over absurd notions of 'right' or 'wrong'.

As you said, 'different strokes for different folks'. There is no 'right' or 'wrong' when it comes to enjoying cars. Vanilla or chocolate. Neither one is 'better' than the other in any way. Anyone into cars has their own likes and dislikes, and everyone's preferences are completely valid.

Some people enjoy the fun of coordinating both hands and feet with an archaic, obsolete, less efficient manual transmission and an equally less efficient N/A engine just because they like it. Others get pleasure out of maximizing efficiency with a 10 speed DCT and a highly strung small displacement turbo. One person's dinosaur is another person's passionate delight.

I own a BRZ. I might keep it, or I might buy the next gen car, or I might buy the Z. I hope both the next gen BRZ and Z are wild sales successes, because I think the world would be a more interesting and fun place with more sports cars in it rather than less, reduced down to some arbitrary single 'optimal' design.

That's the beauty of cars. There are so many different ways to have fun. They can all be appreciated for what they offer. Wouldn't it be boring to go to a Cars & Coffee (when it's safe to do so again) and see row after row of the same damn car? I think the diversity is much more interesting and adds different automotive flavors to the feast. Like life in general.

As the French say so well, 'Vive la difference!'.
Nah, it's a fact Honda is the best. The CTR is the greatest super car killer to ever exist, faster than Lykan Hypersport, fast than McLaren Senna.

CTR is racecar.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-16-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 08:54 PM   #33
Blighty

Drives: WR Blue Pearl 2022 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
Nah, it's a fact Honda is the best. The CTR is the greatest super car killer to ever exist, faster than Lykan Hypersport, fast than McLaren Senna.

CTR is racecar.
Its the king of hot hatches, but stay in your lane friend... Driving a FWD 221kw hatch will never compare to properly put together sports car platform.
Blighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:05 PM   #34
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blighty View Post
Its the king of hot hatches, but stay in your lane friend... Driving a FWD 221kw hatch will never compare to properly put together sports car platform.
Yeah, da fast lane. Stay in the slow lane, you holding up traffic, and stay out of da figure eight, thats only for the real 'Gs'.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
Blighty (04-14-2021), SexyPirates (06-25-2021), soundman98 (04-13-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 10:25 PM   #35
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
If the cost of the M2 is so in your mind (and you can afford it), I don't think it's special enough for you.
The M2 and M4 were actually near the top of my list when I wanted to get another sports car in 2019; I was also considering the Cayman. However, to me, this cars are probably more 'special' than they look, but I've never really warmed up to the looks of the M's no matter what the performance. They're not 'sports cars' - but high performance sedans. Porsches may also be special cars, but I can barely tell the difference between them unless they're a GT3 or 4. Honda CTR might be a great hot hatch, but the lines just don't do it for me. I came from an old 280Z before the BRZ, so I'm partial to the sports car look vs. hot hatches and performance sedans.

When I first got my BRZ in 2013, I did a little writeup here, comparing my thought on it vs. the 280Z it replaced: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35028

I ended up going with the C8, which isn't a 'special' car (other than it being the first mid-engine 'Vette), but one that I like the looks of better than the BMWs and Porsches; especially now that I'm done with the little cosmetic mods to 'make it my own'. I've been very happy with my choice so far, and it's a joy to beat on in the canyons. Still have the BRZ as my daily. So many good cars by the numbers, but sometimes it just boils down to which one appeals aesthetically to you.

Last edited by shiumai; 04-14-2021 at 11:53 PM. Reason: added link to my BRZ/old Z comparison
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shiumai For This Useful Post:
bcj (04-14-2021), Willpower (04-14-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 11:25 PM   #36
NARFALICIOUS

Drives: '88 Supra 1JZ, '16 FR-S, '23 GR86
Quote:
Having these special cars is never about resale value. Too many people think like this. I don't doubt you could get a pretty penny for it in 20 years, it will be wanted for sure, but what would be more important to me is in 20 years if she's still running and clean, are the memories and feeling that car gave me. I could never give it up.
Exactly. And perfectly worded.

I never understood buying a car like the BRZ, or even the Nissan Z, and thinking about resale value. IT IS NOT AN INVESTMENT. It is for enjoyment, good times, nice cruises, car meets, maybe some weekend racing, or just a daily commute, whatever you want.

To me, it's no different than other passions or hobbies that I would interact with... Video games are $60, sometimes $100 when you factor in special versions/microtransactions, sports tickets $100-1000, ammo? $1/round nowadays. But no one is holding onto their GTA copy hoping to sell it one day for a profit, especially when there's literally millions of other copies out there. They enjoy it and it's done.

When my FR-S eventually becomes worth nothing in value, it's still going to have been worth all the money I spent buying it and fixing it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSideFRS View Post
BRZ/86 fanboys will keep arguing that their cars are the best thing that ever happened to them, but this platform is so underpowered and unreliable
I'm not sure how the twin is more unreliable than the Z??

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawkdown View Post
Lets be honest here.

As much as I love a NA and a manual transmission, those days are over, it’s going to be extinct soon. We got to stop living in nostalgia.

If you want power get the Z if it’s in your budget. If you want to live in nostalgia about NA and a manual car, get the twins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What do you mean nostalgia? If it really will be extinct soon, then NOW is the time to get a car with that formula, not later on when it's gone.

Quote:
Once you drive the 400hp Z, are you really going to choose a +200hp NA?
Yes, actually. You mentioned owning a Supra. To me, it's a breath of fresh air going back to my FR-S driving an automatic Supra for some time.

I think the Z is going to be great and continue on with what the previous gen has been doing. So it's going to be a tough decision but ultimately I can't resist a lightweight car. I'll take on the reliability challenge of boosting or building up an 86 and be an underdog to the Z. I'd have both though, if I could afford it.

NARFALICIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NARFALICIOUS For This Useful Post:
Wally86 (04-14-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 11:33 PM   #37
dpfarr

Drives: BRZ ts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I’ve almost had my brz for a year and I’m genuinely interested in how weight feels in other cars. I’m used to my Volvo at 3200 and a great deal more power. I love that car. If the z had all the cockpit feel of the brz and power I’m in.
dpfarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 11:51 PM   #38
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiumai View Post
The M2 and M4 were actually near the top of my list when I wanted to get another sports car in 2019; I was also considering the Cayman. However, to me, this cars are probably more 'special' than they look, but I've never really warmed up to the looks of the M's no matter what the performance. They're not 'sports cars' - but high performance sedans. Porsches may also be special cars, but I can barely tell the difference between them unless they're a GT3 or 4. Honda CTR might be a great hot hatch, but the lines just don't do it for me. I came from an old 280Z before the BRZ, so I'm partial to the sports car look vs. hot hatches and performance sedans.

I ended up going with the C8, which isn't a 'special' car (other than it being the first mid-engine 'Vette), but one that I like the looks of better than the BMWs and Porsches; especially now that I'm done with the little cosmetic mods to 'make it my own'. I've been very happy with my choice so far, and it's a joy to beat on in the canyons. Still have the BRZ as my daily. So many good cars by the numbers, but sometimes it just boils down to which one appeals aesthetically to you.
To each their own really.

I had a really long reply, but felt it didn't need to be said after a while.

I think you just realized what was important for you in a car instead of the bubbles of praise some other cars have and being fooled to buy one of those.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:04 AM   #39
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
To each their own really.

I had a really long reply, but felt it didn't need to be said after a while.

I think you just realized what was important for you in a car instead of the bubbles of praise some other cars have and being fooled to buy one of those.

That sums it up well.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 10:47 AM   #40
Blighty

Drives: WR Blue Pearl 2022 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Yeah, da fast lane. Stay in the slow lane, you holding up traffic, and stay out of da figure eight, thats only for the real 'Gs'.
Blighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 02:06 PM   #41
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,204 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PulsarBeeerz View Post
You are just projecting your feelings at this point. Did the twins really bully you that badly?
Probably touched him in some inapproriate places.....including but not limited to his wallet.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 03:50 PM   #42
gogriz91

Drives: '73 240Z, L-28, SUs, Konis, 5-speed
I like the new Z. You can see the styling from the S30 and the 300 in it. Its going to have an option for more horsepower, hopefully, twin turbo. It's a re-badged G blah blah blah. The original Z had a version of the L motor out of the 510 with two more cylinders, the rear end was out of the Gloria, the styling borrowed from other GT cars. Comparing it to the BRZ is apples to oranges. The BRZ is a lighter momentum car, the Z will have more power at the cost of weight. After driving a 370 and dad's BRZ I can say the BRZ was more fun in the corners but it wasn't a comfortable seating position for me and you gotta give it the spurs to get it angry. The Z had a quicker, smoother power delivery but I never could figure out how much power I could carry into the turns. the seating position and the cabin was more comfortable, a better GT tourer than the BRZ for me.

To say one is better than another depends on what you want. I'm looking to buy my dad's BRZ when he cant get in and out of it anymore to keep it in the family. First thing I'll do is header, exhaust and a tune to clean up some lag. I may pick up a new Z second hand after they've been out a few years and clean up the bugs. I've had a first gen Z since 86, driving the BRZ is similar except for the brakes and the creature comforts.
gogriz91 is offline   Reply With Quote