follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 04-22-2022, 01:58 AM   #855
drivejumpfly

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
That is not the kind of news I wanted to hear, but now it makes sense why I did not receive any calls from sales teams this week with allocation news.
drivejumpfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 09:36 AM   #856
fredzy
Mebmer

Drives: Sienna, GR86, FL5
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivejumpfly View Post
That is not the kind of news I wanted to hear, but now it makes sense why I did not receive any calls from sales teams this week with allocation news.
I hate to say it but get used to it. I don't think these cars will come at any faster than this tiny trickle for the rest of the year. One salesman I talked to suggested that "maybe more will come in the summer months." Allocations for summer delivery would have to start coming now, and I haven't seen any uptick in activity yet so I'm not getting my hopes up.

There was a sort of initial wave in Dec/Jan where a lot of dealers seemed to get their first (and for many, only) allocation but that's never happened again. I've been scanning more or less most of the NE and midwest every few weeks.
fredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fredzy For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-22-2022)
Old 04-22-2022, 09:06 PM   #857
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
I don't understand why the proportion of manuals to autos is so out of whack with Toyota right now. They had to know that most early adopter enthusiasts would want the stick when buying a hot new sports car, and as time went on, the take rate would become more like the first gen (more people buying autos). What a bonehead move by manufacturing.
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 09:19 PM   #858
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
I don't understand why the proportion of manuals to autos is so out of whack with Toyota right now. They had to know that most early adopter enthusiasts would want the stick when buying a hot new sports car, and as time went on, the take rate would become more like the first gen (more people buying autos). What a bonehead move by manufacturing.
Manufacturing only makes what marketing tells them to. It does seem odd but the brains at Toyota know their stuff so they must have had their reasons. They are not amateur's and all the second guessing by the internet will not change their plans.
Dadhawk (04-23-2022)
Old 04-22-2022, 09:24 PM   #859
drivejumpfly

Drives: Toyota
Base, Automatic, Trueno Blue available on the West Coast within two weeks. PM me your # and I will forward it to my dealership contact.

Update: It's definitely not at MSRP but that's on you to negotiate.

Update #2: The other thing you have to think about is Subaru is producing these. Do you really think Subaru is going to give Toyota first dibs on the production line in a tight market like this? I wonder if part of the partnership agreement was to let Subaru produce X BRZs to X-y GR86s.

Last edited by drivejumpfly; 04-22-2022 at 09:55 PM.
drivejumpfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 10:24 PM   #860
Liquidsnake

Drives: "I drives like a Porsche"
I have a headache ��
Old 04-23-2022, 01:11 AM   #861
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivejumpfly View Post
production line in a tight market like this? I wonder if part of the partnership agreement was to let Subaru produce X BRZs to X-y GR86s.

That is absolutely part of the agreement.

It was last gen too, and it really screwed The BRZ in Europe, or maybe it was the UK I can’t remember. They essentially had to make 10 Toyotas for 1 BRZ in that market.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 08:36 PM   #862
Lonewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Manufacturing only makes what marketing tells them to. It does seem odd but the brains at Toyota know their stuff so they must have had their reasons. They are not amateur's and all the second guessing by the internet will not change their plans.

I'm not saying any second guessing will change anything, but professionals and professional companies do make mistakes.
Old 04-23-2022, 09:44 PM   #863
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
I'm not saying any second guessing will change anything, but professionals and professional companies do make mistakes.
But it is only a "mistake" to some guys on the internet. It may be very well exactly what they expected.
Old 04-24-2022, 09:42 PM   #864
Lonewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
But it is only a "mistake" to some guys on the internet. It may be very well exactly what they expected.

No, it is a mistake to not meet the needs of your target consumers in a timely and efficient manner. This is a matter of logic, plain and simple.

There are scores of automatic GR86s piled up on lots, while the only stick ones available have absurd mark-ups.

Perhaps, the tone deaf manual to auto ratio is a part of some agreement with Subaru for the time being, perhaps there are issues sourcing the 6 speed manual. Perhaps Toyota is trying to create some sort of artificial scarcity (which is unnecessary given the newness of this model and the supply chain issues for all cars) with the manual for the time being to drive some undisclosed agenda, it just doesn't seem very customer responsive.
Old 04-24-2022, 10:22 PM   #865
Quentin

Drives: ‘16 4Runner, ‘19 Corolla HB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Fuck’s sake, why is everyone’s first thought a conspiracy theory? Sales numbers impact CAFE, the AT gets far better numbers on the EPA cycle, Toyota wants to get a particular ratio for that piece of the puzzle in their overall CAFE plan. There are more buyers out there for MT than AT, so it looks like they are building a big ratio of AT, but in actuality, the MTs are arriving sold and the ATs take a minute to find the buyer. FWIW, cars.com shows 38 AT and 26 MT nationwide. So that fits in perfectly with what I said above about MT not even getting listed due to being presold.
Quentin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quentin For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (04-25-2022), Tcoat (04-25-2022)
Old 04-25-2022, 01:38 AM   #866
Lonewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Fuck’s sake, why is everyone’s first thought a conspiracy theory? Sales numbers impact CAFE, the AT gets far better numbers on the EPA cycle, Toyota wants to get a particular ratio for that piece of the puzzle in their overall CAFE plan. There are more buyers out there for MT than AT, so it looks like they are building a big ratio of AT, but in actuality, the MTs are arriving sold and the ATs take a minute to find the buyer. FWIW, cars.com shows 38 AT and 26 MT nationwide. So that fits in perfectly with what I said above about MT not even getting listed due to being presold.

Perhaps as a qualifier is indicative of a conspiracy theory?

I agree with your point that many manuals are arriving sold already. However, since recent sales numbers don't usually differentiate between manual and auto, there is no way to check the manufacturing numbers between the transmission choices.

Toyota likely doesn't give two craps about CAFE number differences between the auto and manual GR86...Toyora has their hybrids and plug-ins to offset any hit a low-volume sports car would bring.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lonewolf For This Useful Post:
timurrrr (04-25-2022)
Old 04-25-2022, 03:57 AM   #867
Lelandjt

Drives: '04 STi, '12 Mazda 3 Hatch
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
A corporation making decisions based on focus groups and intuition of managment that in hindsight turn out to be less profitable is not a conspiracy theory. It happens all the time and in many of these scenarios the people on the ground (low level employees and prospective customers) say, "We told you so." It's easy to see how this happens, while it's also easy to see why companies continue making decisions the way they do instead of just listening to their most outspoken customers (in many instances that would be worse for profits). Imagine living in a place and partaking in a lifestyle where your life is dominated by the decisions of say, Vail Resorts Inc. Day to day life is regularly peppered with analysis of their decisions and why they were made.
Lelandjt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lelandjt For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (04-25-2022), Tcoat (04-25-2022)
Old 04-25-2022, 07:19 AM   #868
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
No, it is a mistake to not meet the needs of your target consumers in a timely and efficient manner. This is a matter of logic, plain and simple.
True, which is why they build the ratio of AT to MT that they do. It meets the need of their overall customer base. The wants of the many outweighs the needs of the one when it comes to sales and manufacturing.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Quentin (04-25-2022), Tcoat (04-25-2022)